Woman swept to death over Niagara Falls
The Horseshoe Falls is pictured during winter 2009.
June 1st, 2011

Woman swept to death over Niagara Falls

A woman was killed when she was swept over Niagara Falls, according to news reports.

Witnesses said the woman appeared to be alive as she approached the brink of the Horseshoe Falls about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, reported CNN affiliate WIVB-TV in Buffalo, New York.

The Maid of the Mist, the vessel that takes tourists to the foot of the falls in the Niagara River, dispatched a boat to help her, but she was dead when it reached her, according to the WIVB report.

The woman has not been identified, and her death is under investigation by the Niagara Parks police and Niagara Regional Police, according to a report in the Niagara Gazette. Foul play was not suspected, WIVB reported.

On Monday, two men in a small boat came within 700 feet of the brink of the falls before they were pulled to safety, CNN affiliate WGRZ-TV in Buffalo reported. The motor failed on the men's boat, and the current carried them toward the falls before rescuers were able to hook the craft with a rescue line, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Niagara Falls
  1. ps

I saw a bird yesterday

June 1, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TAYLOR

There are several places close to the falls where you can walk down to the water. (Goat Island..ect) Many people have wedding photos done there. There's a possibility of falling in there and being swept over. What we need is a stockade fence around the falls πŸ™‚

June 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Why doesn't the government just turn off the water to prevent people from going over the falls?

June 1, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oregon Born

Oh right! Have O'flubber in the White House turn off the water and eliminate the drowning problem. I can see the headlines now...Moron falls over "Niagara Falls Cliff" looking for water. Opps, I guess that ain't so funny, since our so-called leader is making sure we're all headed "over the preverbal cliff". Besides, I'm sure his Iranian friends will want all the water in place when they take over our country. It's more precious than all their oil.

June 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MGC

One thing I love about the Internet is that no matter what you say or how you say it, someone will take offense at it.

June 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • I. D'Isagree

YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU WRETCHED #@$^&*......!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Laura

Survival of the Fittest.

June 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nomore

hahaha

June 1, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. art

And I – hope it happens to you πŸ™‚

June 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Oregon Born

Many of us hope you get to experience the same. Even if it's not "extra miserable". We would have one less pathetic, sicko among us!

June 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Oregon Born

I always say..."If you can't say something nice ...COME SIT BY ME, LOL.

All of you have a great day.

June 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Beefburger

Lets just build a 20' high fence around the whole thing! What a menace that waterfall is! We can't have people winning Darwin Awards THAT easily!

June 1, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really? Why are they so worried a bout you beefburger?

I love the joke and I love the compassion you people can have for one of the 6 billion people in this world.. This post was not serious. Humans do dumb things all of the time. Why would you even attempt to boat near the falls? Engines fail all the time!!!! The woman shouldn't have been in the water at all. "She appeared to be alive." She should've swam. Its someone that all of you didn't know. Just take the post as it is, and move on. Three hundred or so comments about how sad this is? Of course its sad, but stop acting like you are sitting there shedding one tear while reading this story!!! Leave a comment that isn't so freaking obvious!!!!.

June 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

We were just in Niagara Falls this last weekend. I am so glad we left before this happened.

June 2, 2011 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Beefburger

We need to build a 20' high fence around the whole thing immediately! What a menace that waterfall is! We can't have people winning their Darwin Award THAT easily, it isn't fair!

June 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • rich

Not. Spoil nature to protect people from their own stupidity? Very dumb idea.

June 2, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

People's stupidity is the menace.

June 3, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. blue sway

Sometimes I wonder why so many pre-teens log on to CNN.com. I mean, you guys have to be 11 or 12, right? Adults know better than to post such disrespectful (and off-topic) remarks about a person who died.

June 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake Mason

I am 39 years of age and guess what BOO HOO HOO for the dam dead woman and almost for the retarded boaters. Oh my Gawd, i said retarded> Oh the humanity.

June 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Esther

How very sad for the woman and those she left behind

June 2, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ice breaker

sure but... what if she made a choice.

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SanFernandoRose

Was the lady in a barrel ? Who said put a fence around Niagara Falls? How dumb is that? Thats like saying put a fence around the grand canyon.

June 2, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Saffoula

Or as dumb as saying (and building) a fence across the entire length of the US/Mexico border.

June 2, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • mehmet

such as the Great Wall of China

June 2, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
    • ice breaker

Saffoula, I couldn't agree more with you. Good one.

June 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bazwani

if we put a fence around the whole world we would all be safe..... ; o ))

June 3, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Spaceman

one is not enough – world population to hit 7 billion in 2011 – but I suppose lets start with the stupid ones first

June 2, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. Johan S

I wish everyone who posts something tasteless on here would have the guts to post their real names. You cowards are the people we're stuck with.

June 2, 2011 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
    • david reed

What are you talking about? I read all these comments and there isn't anything unusual about them. I've been to Niagra, and I wouldn't boat, swim, jetski, or frolic near the waters edge upriver from those falls for all the tea in China. Yea, a lot of us think you have to be pretty dumb to go over those falls and we don't mind sharing our opinion. Over 300 million people here, why the hell would we care about this one? Stop pretending to be clergy or a funeral director. And that's my real name.

June 2, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |