Woman swept to death over Niagara Falls
The Horseshoe Falls is pictured during winter 2009.
June 1st, 2011

Woman swept to death over Niagara Falls

A woman was killed when she was swept over Niagara Falls, according to news reports.

Witnesses said the woman appeared to be alive as she approached the brink of the Horseshoe Falls about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, reported CNN affiliate WIVB-TV in Buffalo, New York.

The Maid of the Mist, the vessel that takes tourists to the foot of the falls in the Niagara River, dispatched a boat to help her, but she was dead when it reached her, according to the WIVB report.

The woman has not been identified, and her death is under investigation by the Niagara Parks police and Niagara Regional Police, according to a report in the Niagara Gazette. Foul play was not suspected, WIVB reported.

On Monday, two men in a small boat came within 700 feet of the brink of the falls before they were pulled to safety, CNN affiliate WGRZ-TV in Buffalo reported. The motor failed on the men's boat, and the current carried them toward the falls before rescuers were able to hook the craft with a rescue line, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Niagara Falls
  1. Me

White folks always doing dumb stuff that gets them killed, then it's the news!!! You all talked about the "stupid black rapper guy" because he ran is Sea Doo into a bridge in FL, what about this????

June 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

Why do some people have to turn every event into a race issue. A women lost her life. What does the colour of her skin have to do with it. People are people white ,black greeen purple .....

June 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don Vito

She was actually running away from rap music.

June 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dancy

I love when white people post comments pretending to be a "dumb" black person. Nice try. You are so white, you are see through.

June 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ImpishLisa

That is insensitive and trolling. You wear the troll hat. There's the corner.

June 30, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dawn

some of you people are just horrible people!! A woman lost her life!!!

June 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gazza

@Christy

Oh, so you're here slumming it away from all the blogs where you are paid to give your "thorough opinion"?

Well, this story is enervated by your presence. ENERVATED.

June 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SheilahE

Some of the comments here are most outrageous and cruel. Imagine someone being "trash" because they commit suicide and then harkening back to Ted Kennedy's misadventure - for God sake - the man is dead, as well as the woman. Did your mother not teach you that one should not speak evil of the dead, or is she just like you - BIGOTED. Anyway, may the Lord have mercy on her soul!!!

June 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Hitlers dead should we not speak ill of him?

June 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • OhShutUp

Stop honoring people who kill themselves. Ghoul.

June 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FedUp2

Is there something I can sign that will prevent CNN from reporting my death so that I won't be trashed by a thousand idiots?

June 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • cat

I agree!

June 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emily

If you find one, I'll get in line behind you to sign it.

June 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • twalk

Fox News followers are worst than CNN about trashing people. You need an agreement with Fox news not to report your death as well.

June 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrish

You only make news if it's something unusual..... cheer up. Die a normal death and it won't get reported.

June 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rumncokes

you sheeple are hilarious

June 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patiat

The word "sheeple" is played. Now it's only used by people who think they're being clever and incisive, but they're just following a language fad. Time to find another word.

June 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Patiat, are you the new editor of the Urban Dictionary, or just having a bad day?

June 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • publius enigma

Kind of ironic now that most people that use the word sheeple are just following the crowd that went before them.

June 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bayousara

A friend of mine blew his head off and his family blamed his current girlfriend. What the guy's problem was had to do with alcoholism. In the process of not getting help for his drinking problem, he caused a lot of heartache for everyone else. Someone found him in a messy house, his dogs were left outside and one was killed by a car, his lady friend who was totally innocent lost her job, and two years later one of his buddies killed himself in the same way. Suicide is a cowardly act when people refuse to get help for their problems and/or blame all their troubles on others.

June 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

@Bayousara

My brother took his life the same way this past December just a few days after Christmas. He was 43, had a long history with drinking and we had a long history of trying to get him help.

I loved my brother, but after years and years of emotional, verbal and some physical abuse (including abusing our parents) - I emotionally disconnected myself from him. He threatened suicide all the time, and we were there for him when he needed help, but of course in his mind, the problem was never his.

The night of December 28th, he took a gun, sat down directly in front of our parents and shot himself in the head. I'm upset with the fact that he did it right in front of them. My father died a week later and my mother died about two months after that. My dad's health was failing anyway, but I think that incident sped things up quite a bit.

I can honestly say that I don't miss the constant turmoil. I miss what could have been a good relationship had he straightened himself out...but it is what it is.

June 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOE

There is a quality of selfishness when it comes to suicide. It can leave others in a tormented and prolonged state of grief and maybe anger, but don't be so callous toward a decision often perceived as the only solution and the only way to end personal suffering. Quite often the "help" isn't readily available or all that helpful.

June 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tabby

My uncle shot himself in the head. He had liver disease and his partner in life had passed away a number of years earlier. He never got over the grief and I think wanted to connect with his partner again. My family was shocked by the news and saddened, but never angry. All of us understood his ordeal. God bless him.

June 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • wa2go

Wait a minute – isn't that a song? I thought I heard that on my local AM country station just this morning...

June 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • asgardshill

Why do people trash suicides so? It's not like the target of their remarks is going to hear them and feel shame.

June 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Often, people who follow through on suicidal thoughts are not thinking rationally. In that moment, they cannot process cause-and-effect; their only motivation is desperately trying to end their internal pain. Many times, they have depersonalized themselves and others, merely seeing them as detached objects – their emotions are buried. That's why they can appear to be looking "through" someone, make choices that devastate their closest friends and family members, fail to make arrangements for their beloved pets, and not react to heartfelt pleas by others. To all of you who lost someone this way, I'm sorry. Please know that when they made that choice, they probably did not have the capacity to recognize your love for them and they were not choosing to hurt you. Maybe I didn't word this too well, but I hope it helps.

June 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moni

Sorry to hear all of this :[. @Phil Wow, that is incredibly sad. I hope they are all resting well.

June 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • been there

Almost two years ago I found my husband in the backyard with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. After years of cronic pain that lead to a prescription pill addiction I guess he saw no other way out. I can't pretend to know what was going through his mind as he pulled that trigger, but I can only guess he was thinking of nothing but ending the pain. I think once the point of no return has been passed, the capacity to logically think things through or think of the consequences is no longer there. It's not like a healthy person is going to wake up one morning and decide to kill themselves...there is always a mental/physical underlying reason.

June 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Keyser

"Are you thinking what I am?" " Aim for the rocks"..."Who am I talking to?"

June 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ian

If she slipped and fell in thats bad...if she decided this is what she wanted to do then thats what she wanted to do. None of us know what was going on in her life and MAYBE she just had enough... if thats the case ok I understand it and she did what she thought she had to do. I love how some people can decide whats best for others.... Now of course it's to bad that things in her life had driven her to this if thats the case but again who are any of us to judge what others should do with THEIR lives! If thats what happened here I at least hope she isn't suffering anymore from whatever drove her to do that.

June 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • bell

I'm not so sure it's people who think they can decide what's best for others but rather than people who commit suicide are in need of some sort of mental help. In other words, they are not thinking clearly, so people do not feel as though they have made the decision in their right mind, and therefore feel it is unfair. If a perfectly sane person with no abuse problems, depression, etc. decides they are just done living, then so be it. Of course it's the most selfish thing a person can do but it's not that people are trying to force someone to live, it's that they're trying to force people into getting well in terms of their minds and THEN they can live how they want to live...or not. I would guess that 99.9% of the people who commit suicide would not have chosen to do so had they been completely sane and in their right mind, healthy in other words.

June 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cdgfla

Sigh...more typical reporting in this new century. Rush the story of a death out there without knowing any relevant background facts, or even whether it was a suicide or an accident. Walter Cronkite must be weeping tears in the afterlife when he sees what passes for "reporting" in this dumb age.

June 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. yourface13

well it loks like her life went...down the drain! any ways if you suicide that means one way ticket to hell

June 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • RonJonWow

Except Hell doesn't exist, so...

June 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

Good thing for you that Heaven doesn't require a spelling test.

June 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NoodleHat

Sometimes when i take a leak, it's like niagara falls.

June 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Unruellie

I'm not exactly sure I understand what happened? How was she 'swept'? was she on a boat or was she walking the bridge or what? This is confusing

June 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aarrgghh

Swept: the act of being pushed along by another object, ie a broom or in this case rapidly moving water... does that clear things up for you?

June 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shelly

I can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here! We don't even know all the facts. Whether or not she killed herself, fell in or thought swimming in the Niagara River was a good idea, a woman died. A family lost a loved one. Have some respect.

June 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aarrgghh

no one tries to swim a few yards from the largest waterfall, by volume, on the planet. Having lived in the Niagara region my entire life, I can safely say it was not a swimming accident.

June 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gill

Couldn't CNN find a better and more recent picture of Niagara Falls?

June 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |