Gotta Watch: Casey Anthony jail tapes
In 2008, Casey Anthony talks with her mother Cindy from jail.
June 2nd, 2011

Gotta Watch: Casey Anthony jail tapes

The Casey Anthony trial could be one of the most dramatic court cases since the O.J. Simpson criminal proceedings. The gut-wrenching testimony and reaction from Casey's parents spurred interest in what they had to say back in 2008 when Caylee was still missing. Here are some telling moments from the trial and from jail conversations Casey had with her parents.

The drowning theory – In 2008, Casey Anthony brushes off what her mom says is a media allegation that Caylee drowned in a pool. She then goes on to assure her mom that she knows in her heart that Caylee is okay.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/06/02/anthony.vault.pool.ocsd"%5D

Drowning defense – Fast-forward to the trial, where Casey's defense makes the case that Caylee Anthony did in fact drown in the family pool.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/05/24/bts.casey.anthony.caylee.cnn"%5D

Casey gets angry – Here we get a glimpse of Casey's mindset during the time Caylee was missing. At the time, she came under fire for complaining that her entire life had been taken from her.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/06/02/anthony.vault.shes.alright.ocsd"%5D

Tune in to HLN's "Nancy Grace" at 8 p.m. ET for live reports from Florida with all the details of the Casey Anthony trial. You can watch the trial live on CNN.com and, follow the action on Nacy's special Casey Anthony trial page.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Gotta Watch
  1. Robert

The look on Casey's face when the attorney (in the top of the page video) reminded the jury/court this was a death penalty case made me think she is concerned about the sentencing more than the verdict because she doesn't have much hope of being found innocent. And the jail tape where she gets angry at being asked information about Caylee to help locate the child makes me think she is wanting to focus on her defense and wanting her parents to stop distracting her on finding a child that she knows is dead and that she is guilty of killing. Not only is she not wasting her time on locating the child as others have pointed out, but she is wanting to drop the pretense. As much as I would like to believe the child died in the swimming pool, I do believe we passed the moment were everybody, the father included, would have come clean on that. The tape of Casey getting angry is from one month in the jail and I think that would have been the time when the truth would have come out were the drowning the truth.

We all know OJ did it and he has as much as admitted it in that book and we all know Casey did it. I don't see how she could do such a thing, but in my 46 years on the planet I've been surprised enough to know people do crazy things.

June 2, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alison2

Casey Anthony killed her daughter to get back at her mother for some reason. She is a sociopath plain and simple. Her parents loved that baby more than they loved her and she couldn't handle it. There are BIG issues in that family and I think the poor child was used as a way of hurting the grandparents.

June 2, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr B

I think she killed Caylee to spite her mother. To get back at her, hurt her. This means she calculated the event. As we can see, she is not talking because she is afraid, she's not afraid of anything. But, she does get angry. That's the emotion to follow.

June 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • K Thomas

I think the revenge motive is very viable. She wasn't jealous of Cindy as much as she was jealous of her own daughter, Caylee.

June 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

I don't she killed her daughter to get back at her mom, I think the child died as a result of Casey deliberately keeping the child from her mom.
      I found this 8 page messenger chat between Casey and Tony and around June 11th or so, she promises him they will be together "in 3 days".
      I think the child was in the way of her life and I think Casey didn't want her mom to get closer to caylee than she already was. It was spite and selfishness why that child died.

June 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Faloofalla

She is a WICKED, EVIL Cold Blooded Killer.

June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JehseaLynn

@ALL – You must understand Baez knows his client is guilty; he is a death-penalty qualified attorney. His ONLY GOAL is to INTRODUCE DOUBT TO SAVE CASEY ANTHONY'S LIFE. Thus, the "drowning" theory: you have hit right on it! Her remains had no lungs. Hence the coroner can show no water in them. What does that give the jury? REASONABLE DOUBT, because little Caylee COULD have drowned; cannot prove she DIDN'T. And the murderer's stony cold demeanor? Baez plants doubt about that by the molestation theory, and how she has been "schooled to hide her pain" (so, jury, do not expect her to show remorse, or feelings, or sound concerned on jail tapes or interrogation tapes – she is "hiding her pain", not being the sociopath she is!). Baez's goal is not to set her free, but spare the death penalty. He only needs ONE juror to buy into his daddy abuse / drowning which might have happened theory. And George Anthony's calm demeanor plays into Baez's hands – but only because it was trained into George as a cop to be calm and observant in crisis.

June 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

it is against the law for any attorney to simply invent a story for reasonable doubt.

June 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jangirl10

I don't know if anyone else noticed but during these videos at the jail Casey seemed very friendly with her dad. Not for nothing but if my father molested me since the age of 8, I would NOT want to be any where near him or have my child any where him! I just feel terrible for that little angel-for what she went through at the hands of her mother!!! All this woman does is lie!!

June 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alison2

Sorry Angie, but what you just said supports the theory that it was a way of taking revenge on someone, mainly, I believe, her mother. She "deliberately" kept the child from her mom and the death was an action of "spite." Why wouldn't she want her mom to get any closer? She knew that her parents would have taken that baby in in a second if she said she didn't want the responsibility anymore. They probably would have been happy if she did turn over custody. They knew she was unfit. She didn't have to kill her. Why go that extra, extreme step? I'm convinced that revenge against her parents is the main reason Caylee died.

June 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Angie

This is the messenger chat link, check it out

June 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Izzybone

From the very beginning it was all to fishy! She dis it!

June 2, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pam

Let's just say the defense can explain away Casey's lies with the abuse theory. So how does that relate to her behavior? She's out partying...dancing....getting tatoo's....shopping.....hanging out with her boyfriend????

June 2, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mark edgette

I am in "no way siding! W/casey anthony my theory is she accidently drowned her daughter and pannicked only my opinion and it does not excuse what casey did if she doaen't get convicted she will live with and that's worse than prison which ever way casey will recive justice in the end.

June 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. aubrey

to all::: we dont know what really happend. although i am surely NOT on her side. if i could say and prove anything.. i would say:: she said she came home,looked all around,eventhough she knew exactly where her daughter was. then she didnt mention her name to anyone. so then she ties her daughter up in a trashbag?!??! i mean it is pretty bad when they do that to an animal. but a young girl?!? SICK

June 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Believer

I hate ANY defense based on putting everyone else on trial.

June 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

It is against the law for a defense attorney to "invent" a story for the client to create reasonable doubt.

June 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

Okay – even if you believe the "my baby down in the pool" explanation how can you explain her behavior after the event?

June 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Honest John

Yeah, Caylee drowned alright, with a little help from a little pinch of DUCT TAPE and a dash of CHLOROFORM!!..........Give me a break! This spoiled,self absorbed, "daddy's little princess", party girl is as guilty of killing her daughter as water is wet! This trial is nothing more than Casey getting her right to due process...........Nothing but a mere formality at this point.

June 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |