Gotta Watch: Casey Anthony jail tapes
In 2008, Casey Anthony talks with her mother Cindy from jail.
June 2nd, 2011

Gotta Watch: Casey Anthony jail tapes

The Casey Anthony trial could be one of the most dramatic court cases since the O.J. Simpson criminal proceedings. The gut-wrenching testimony and reaction from Casey's parents spurred interest in what they had to say back in 2008 when Caylee was still missing. Here are some telling moments from the trial and from jail conversations Casey had with her parents.

The drowning theory – In 2008, Casey Anthony brushes off what her mom says is a media allegation that Caylee drowned in a pool. She then goes on to assure her mom that she knows in her heart that Caylee is okay.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/06/02/anthony.vault.pool.ocsd"%5D

Drowning defense – Fast-forward to the trial, where Casey's defense makes the case that Caylee Anthony did in fact drown in the family pool.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/05/24/bts.casey.anthony.caylee.cnn"%5D

Casey gets angry – Here we get a glimpse of Casey's mindset during the time Caylee was missing. At the time, she came under fire for complaining that her entire life had been taken from her.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/06/02/anthony.vault.shes.alright.ocsd"%5D

Tune in to HLN's "Nancy Grace" at 8 p.m. ET for live reports from Florida with all the details of the Casey Anthony trial. You can watch the trial live on CNN.com and, follow the action on Nacy's special Casey Anthony trial page.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Gotta Watch
  1. fernace

Why couldn't she have put the child up for adoption when she realized her parental duties were eating into her party time? That should have been evident relatively early in Caylees life! She could have been placed with a family while still an infant/toddler & been alive to enjoy a normal & secure life, right now! But being a sociopath means Casey has Ownership issues, so of course, she owned Caylee! That's why she could kill her, she Owned her! Casey needs to burn in Hell!! Prison is too good for her!

June 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angie

I do not believe she drowned for one thing, a person would not NEED to duct tape a dead child's mouth shut. Second, if her child drowned by accident you would expect some solitude grieving, all she did was party and shop. I dont believe her family was involved at all, I guess this is my confusion,
    I believe she chloroformed her then duct taped her and put her in the trunk in a manner consistent with "putting her to sleep for the night" and if she woke she wouldn't be heard crying and instead she suffocated to death so in my mind that would make it an
    accidental death or did she chloroform her and duct tape her to kill her knowing shr would suffocate and die, which makes it deliberate.

June 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. WahWahWah

Classic "Whoa is me". Can she be any guiltier? She refuses to answer any direct question about Caylee, but whines about her appearance to the world and how her life is over. I hope they fry her good.

June 2, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • gc

It's "Woe", not "Whoa".

June 3, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bill Varney

I believe that Miss Anthony found real/tangible people as friends,friends replacing all of her imaginary friends, thus motive of her need to remove this child from her new found reality. This reality is one she cared for more than she cared for her daughter. The promise of a life going forward in form of a shared apartment with Amy,beach each day parties every evening were compromised by Caylee's existence . Attorney Baez was kind enough to point out the amount of imaginary friends in one of his twists for the jury.

June 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

good hope america!

June 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MARY

I did not suggest my theory with the duct tape was correct, but I did't mean to suggest that she placed the duct tape to PREVENT drowning but to hide the fact that the child had drowned. Maybe at first, she did not plan on using the drowning as a defense. It may have came up when her lawyer brought it up as a possible strategy! Didn't I read somewhere that early on in the case someone had suggested that the child had drowned and Casey said nothing? The fact that the roll of duct tape, exactly like the type that was found on the baby as well as the gas cans was also photographed on a table where George Anthony was passing out fliers somewhat suggest that Mr. Anthony did not kill Caylee. He's a cop but he can't be that stupid, or can he? I'm not a lawyer but I play one while watching TV!~MARY~

June 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Mary, when I read what you suggested to a degree it actually made sense to me. I thought maybe the she allowed the child to drown then thought it might be better to look like a kidnapping so she covered her mouth with the duct tape to throw them off if she were found. Yes many of our theories sound a bit out of whack, but so was she so sometimes you have to try to figure out what that person was possibly thinking. I don't think her father had anything to do with it or the rest of the family.
      She seemed to be calculating her moves as she promised her "then" boyfriend they would be together in 3 days. She googled neck breaking, household weapons, chloroform and shovels, it seems to me she was trying to figure the best way and least messiest way and a way that wouldn't point to her. Really really sad situation.

June 3, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Isaac

GUILTY!

June 3, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Stacy

JUST PLAIN SICK! This woman obviously has major mental illness! how can you bury your child like that and just keep on living!! dont knw many details about this case because id rather not watch stuff like this its toooo heartbreaking when you have children of your own .

June 3, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. cheryl

In the last jailhouse tape, Cassey was already thinking about a trial, I thought the child was "just missing", and she wasn't evolved in anything.

June 3, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. cheryl

"I", is all Casey talks about. She needs to be fried in some fish grease.

June 3, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Lol! I agree. Shame on her. This is truly one selfish person. I think she wanted out of that jail so badly for 2 reasons, it was cramping her style and 2, cuz she wanted to get to that baby and move her before anyone found her. They should have released her from jail and watched her just to see if Casey would lead them directly to caylee.

June 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. KARILYNN

PREDICTION: Because the jail house tapes show Casey's contention with her mother and admitted closeness to her father, Baez will throw out another bombshell.....He will say the reason there is contention between Cindy and Casey is because Cindy knew George was molesting Casey and didn't do anything about it....Anybody want to join the pool?

June 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

I am honestly dumbstruck by the defense, feel like I'm watching "my cousin vinnie" he is very odd in his behavior that I have no idea which way he is going to turn next. I mean really, there is so much damning evidence against caseys character I truly don't know what card he plans to play next, but you might be on the right track with that one.

June 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anonymous

I prefer not to go by any name on this subject, but at the age of 8 (now 44) I had a male family member who had "big hands" when I slept and Casey contends that she thinks her dad came in her room and touched her, she could be pretending she didn't know and she could also be unsure if her dad was there to kiss her goodnight and attempted to cover her-- what ever the case may be-- I have children and if mine went missing or died I know I would not be whooping it up,
    I would be hysterical all the days of my life, and I have hid this family fact still to this day.

June 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bigred

It is obvious by these tapes she is a liar. She has mental problems. The defense would have been better with a insane defense. I think she used the chloroform gave her too much, put the tape over her mouth to keep the bugs out and stashed her in the trunk for a while. Wasn't it George Anthony who went to Ft Lauderdale with the intention to commit suicide?

June 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peg

I heard today that if she is convicted it will be turned over because of not been given rights at Universal Studio. Please tell Me this is not true.

June 3, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

I am an attorney, and I think that is highly unlikely.....no worries about that.

June 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ron-Think about it

Here it is- her lawyers have told her not to show emotion when anyone testifies or when she sees video.This will allow them plead her having mental illness(ie: dissociative personalities) which is the only "sane" way to prevent her from being sentenced to the death chamber. The only reason ANY human being (no matter how abused in life) becomes that indifferent to people around them hurting or their daughter missing is because of mental illness. This woman is certfiably mentally ill and her parents unfortunately her entire life protected her, ignored her lies (of which you can be sure there were many growing up), and enabling her by taking care of her and her daughter reasonably when she had no income. Casey is a spoiled, mentally ill person whose parents were in denial her entire life and probably still are to some extent today. Her brother also was an enabler. Who would want to believe their immediate family member was so calculating and selfish to do what she did? None of us.If she is examined by several psychiatrists you can be sure they will declare her mentally ill, but not "incompetent" so she knew exactly what she was doing and calculatingly removed the obstacle to her being like her friends – namely a "free" young party-girl in her 20's with no burdens (a child) and no parental figure accusing her (for at least 30 days when she did not see her parents. Guilty – but mentally ill. Letting her rot in jail is too good for her.

June 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gung hoe

Justice will be served when caseys mom dad and casey all get the death penalty carried out on them so that their souls can rot in hell where they belong

June 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |