Gotta Watch: Casey Anthony jail tapes
In 2008, Casey Anthony talks with her mother Cindy from jail.
June 2nd, 2011

Gotta Watch: Casey Anthony jail tapes

The Casey Anthony trial could be one of the most dramatic court cases since the O.J. Simpson criminal proceedings. The gut-wrenching testimony and reaction from Casey's parents spurred interest in what they had to say back in 2008 when Caylee was still missing. Here are some telling moments from the trial and from jail conversations Casey had with her parents.

The drowning theory – In 2008, Casey Anthony brushes off what her mom says is a media allegation that Caylee drowned in a pool. She then goes on to assure her mom that she knows in her heart that Caylee is okay.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/06/02/anthony.vault.pool.ocsd"%5D

Drowning defense – Fast-forward to the trial, where Casey's defense makes the case that Caylee Anthony did in fact drown in the family pool.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/05/24/bts.casey.anthony.caylee.cnn"%5D

Casey gets angry – Here we get a glimpse of Casey's mindset during the time Caylee was missing. At the time, she came under fire for complaining that her entire life had been taken from her.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/06/02/anthony.vault.shes.alright.ocsd"%5D

Tune in to HLN's "Nancy Grace" at 8 p.m. ET for live reports from Florida with all the details of the Casey Anthony trial. You can watch the trial live on CNN.com and, follow the action on Nacy's special Casey Anthony trial page.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime • Gotta Watch
  1. wannabeprofiler

I have never ever seen a female psychopath so young, and it is so obvious from watching interviews and tapes that she is as narcisstic as they come. Despite what comes out of her mouth, she is only concerned about herself. I only hope the jurors can see the truth as well.

June 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Andi Torres

Where is Caylee's swim suit? What was she wearing when found? Was her swimsuit found wet in the house the day Casey says she drowned?

June 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

Her bones were left cuz animals ate her flesh but you make an excellent point cuz a shirt was found near the body that said big trouble comes in small packages and no word of a bathing suit.

June 4, 2011 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. tamaday

Can't believe the parents are so in denial. They still have investigators looking for Caylee. Don't blame them though. I am a Mom and I understand how they feel.

June 4, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Convinced

This is to CALIFORNIA LWYER... Would you represent Casey Anthony knowing when she brushes her teeth it's a lie. (No disrespect intended to you)

June 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

I think his defense stinks so far, sorry to say, but he is misplacing blame, making accusations, discrediting everyone (but wants everyone to think this is the only truth his client is telling) and he is constantly trying to get things thrown out or mistrials. His focus should have stuck with she lies, the child drowned, she didn't know what to do, but this wasn't intentional. At least that would have given him a little dignity, as I look at him now, I refuse to say any more, out loud what I think of this defense.

June 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike In Lexington

Is there anyone TRULY watching this trial and taking in ALL the facts? I see claims of how Baez has botched this defense so far and am amazed. I don't know if Casey is or isnt guilty as I have not heard ALL the evidence, nor heard BOTH sides of the story, but the bungling of the prosecution in this case and the mishandling of evidence and leads right before their eyes by the local authorities whom I see as Keystone Cops, makes me believe the case against Casey herself is weak at best. I am amazed that no one has picked up on the fact that Casey's "loving" parents are so willing to help the prosecution put their daughter to death. I don't expect CNN to read this as they have already tried and convicted her and have dismissed all evidence to the contrary, but I think it is sad that we have become so willing in this country to take a human life because we "think" someone is guilty. All the prosecution has proved and you can even read it in the posted blogs is that she is a liar. NO evidence....I repeat...NO evidence shows Casey killed her daughter.

June 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

Hey mike,
      I been watching from day one and the reason there are trials is because there isn't direct evidence. This is a cold hard fact mike, that little girl is dead and someone did it.
      So since nothing connects anyone we just let it go?
      All the dead people with no direct evidence just allow them to be dead? Do u know how many crimes would be committed if we didn't attempt to try people? And they don't pull people from the sky, they do all that can to reduce all evidence in connection with someone.
      What are the chances of a mother searching shovels 3 months before needing one to bury her child then finding leaves and dirt in her trunk? What are the chances of a mother researching chloroform in march then finding high levels of it in her trunk in June? What are the chances of a mother chatting through messenger to her boyfriend on June 11 "trust me in 3 days we can be together all we want" then claim her child died on the 15th? She shows no remorse, there was no nanny, no one lived in that apartment she supposedly dropped her daughter off at for more than 6 months, it sounds to me like the neighbor down the street killed the kid. Come on. No one else had and reason to, any access to that child or that car than Casey herself.
      Melanie Maguire had less direct evidence against her and was proven guilty cause the death of a person tells the story when the killer chooses to lie.

June 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Twit Happens

Agreed !

June 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Twit Happens

Casey Anthony is too pretty to have committed this crime. It always seems they go after the pretty ones, like that poor American girl in Italy accused of killing her roommate! There is no forensic evidence that shows Casey did anything wrong except she's pretty and likes to party. Is that a CRIME?!? Leave the poor woman alone.

June 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

The last time I checked, being pretty is not a defense for murder......the case may not have gotten so much press had she not been attractive, but she probably would have still been charged. This story is very different from Amanda Knox – Knox really is innocent. Casey Anthony is not.

June 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Marie

Let me guess; you're a young pretty girl who doesn't get enough attention from your parents so you feel unloved which in turn makes you a Jealous, Psychotic, Sociopath.....Oh wait, that's right, you're too pretty to be guilty of any of that. Give me a break, 1 of the stupidest things written on here.

June 10, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Angela

Oh Come on guys, if you are really watching can you honestly think it was someone other than Casey Anthony?
    This is how I see it and so do many other people...... That child died while in the presence of her mom.
    Ok? now, it was either an accident or deliberate.
    As humans, when our children die accidently we mourn, we cry, we prefer to be alone.
    When deliberate, we try to hide it.
    Someone was there when that child died and caylee deserves justice.
    Honestly, what could a 2 year old child have done to anyone to want to make them kill her? She was innocent and adorable, I'm sure she didn't have enimies or owe anyone money. She couldn't have died in a drowning accident, there would be no reason to cover her mouth and nose with duct tape, but she could have been chloroformed and duct taped and died as a result of that which could be an accident or chloroformed and duct taped to suffocate and kill her which would have been deliberate, either way, don't misunderstand me, I don't want to see Casey put to death but I would like her to recieve some form of punishment for what she allowed to happen.

June 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Roger

Question. Why is it whenever there is a missing child an army of people comb every inch of ground up to a certain radius from the home, but when the meter man called 3 days in a row only 1 law inforcement officer was sent to investigate but didn't really conduct much of a search in the area he was sent to? Was the area she was found ever really searched very good to begin with? she did it she frieaked and 3 yrs later she,s

June 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Convinced

I honestly can't see how George,Cindy and Lee are standing by her with the HORRIBLE things she has LIED about to save her own ASS. What next an alien abducted her and molested her too??? Let me stop before her defense team gets any ideas

June 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Convinced

Walk like a duck,Talk like a duck. It's a DUCK Not looking good for DEFENSE.....

June 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Name*jessie

come on Now I'm not trying to be rude but some of you people are really pathetic!!! if you don't think Casey Anthony did it then who?? what kind of caring, loving mother waits 1 month to call the cops? seriously let's be real here! she's GUILTY...

June 8, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Convinced

I agree 100 percent!!!! All of the accusations that she is dragging this family through. Not to mention the BABY. Like I once said my baby is 12 I will NOT wait 31 seconds.

June 8, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Marie

Yeah, I don't care if your child is an hour old or 50 years old...NO INNOCENT PARENT WOULD WAIT A MONTH TO REPORT THEM MISSING. "Not to mention... Casey NEVER would have reported her missing if her Mother (Cindy, Caylee's Grandmother) hadn't tracked her down and insisted on seeing her."

June 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Convinced

.... I WANT to be the person to flip the switch on Casey Anothey. See the terror in her eyes the same as little Caylee had in her last little breathe. She did Not DESERVE to die like that.

June 9, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. talor

My heart goes out to Lee, and Mr. and Mrs. Anthony. God Bless them and give them strength.

I've followed this case from day one. I must say, that I think it's tragic when an innocent person has to sit in jail because they have been accused, and what's more, they have to beg borrow and steal to, vigorously, defend themselves.

I think our system of justice tries to be fair across the board, though that is, nearly, impossible–but that's life. Now, the state of Florida is paying hundreds of thousands for defense for a clearly guilty person. A poor innocent person should be so lucky. But the irony is that the hundreds of thousands of dollars is being paid to an incompetent wise-ass. If it weren't such a tragic situation it would be laughable.

June 10, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Convinced

I have cried so much.....My heart aches sooo bad for Caylee. Testimony today "Animals Chewed Caylee's bones.

June 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |