June 3rd, 2011

Criminal case against Jack Kevorkian began with 1998 video

Jack Kevorkian, who died Friday at 83, began his crusade to give people the option of choosing to end their life rather than continuing to seek medical treatment in 1989.

During the next nine years, at least 130 people used Kevorkian’s "suicide machine" to take their own lives. With the push of a button, patients were able to give themselves a lethal dose of chemicals.

One patient, however, was unable to use the machine. Thomas Youk suffered from Lou Gehrig’s disease. Instead of just helping Youk, Kevorkian administered the drugs himself. Kevorkian also videotaped the procedure and sent the tape to CBS’ "60 Minutes."

In the recording, Kevorkian repeatedly asked Youk, “Tom, do you want to do this? Are you sure you want to go ahead?"

Youk says yes and nods his head. Kevorkian delivers the drugs and Youk soon died soon thereafter. “60 Minutes” aired Youk’s death.

Michigan prosecutors would later use the tape to help convict Kevorkian of second-degree murder in 1999. Kevorkian spent eight years in prison before being paroled in 2007.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Lou Cipher

RIP – JAck – you were always ahead of time. You were one of a kind. They're all jealous cause they did not have the guts to stand up for anything.

June 4, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Anthony's Case Posts

Casey is innocent the child drowned by herself. Free Casey.

June 4, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony's Case Posts

Free Casey

June 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anthony's Case Posts

Freedom for Casey. She was framed. Freedom for Casey. She was framed. Freedom for Casey. She was framed. Freedom for Casey. She was framed.

June 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anthony's Case Posts

Free Casey today

June 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ellis from Panama

@Anthony's Case Points-You have a friend who is mentally ill? You are ill beyond help. Go away you annoying thing. You give me nightmares. You true troll.

June 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rice Cube

Word.

June 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ellis from Panama

You are so annoying. I wouldn't pay you to see you doc cuz U R a NUT!!!

June 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tuco

@RUFFNUTT. good question. We could probably find a "Clint". But Lee Van Cleef? Find me another one of those! (we've got 10s of thousands who could play the new Tuco, pick one)

June 4, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

@ACP...how about if we have the President of the USA issue a direct order to have the chief suspect in your case assassinated. Would that restore your faith in our justice system? No? Why not? It worked for almost everyone else.

June 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Reader

Philip, your tired bs about ObL is almost as obsessive as what ACP's ramblings. Just give it a effin rest, already, gd conspiracy moron.

June 4, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mike okburns

Hey! I'm gonna post my opinion arbitarily, or I'm going to overly state the blatantly obvious several ways because its not redundantly represented enough. No wait, I'm going to prattle on about spellin (get it?)and/or grammar. Oh – I forgot, I need to state some political comment irrelevant to topic, or perhaps just become the self-appointed moderator. Who TF cares about your opinion and at the very least if it stated already why repeat? Sincerely, self appointed moderator.

June 5, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. mike okburns

Hey – anyone think she's innocent? I do, but I'm worried justice system will fail. The truth is, Dr. Kevorkian is responsible, and although the theory that the mom is liable is utter hooey! Thanks again for the professional and much needed commentary by the professionals out there. Phew! Now I can rest sound.

June 5, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. MoeL

Actually, I believe euthanasia (sp?) should be a choice...would I choose it...no, but that is my choice. Many people, elderly, just might want that choice. I do not think anyone should put this choice down...walk in another persons shoes before you slam them for their choice. When you are in such pain that you cannot cope any longer. and the medical profession is pumping you full of anti-pain drugs (which do not cure, only mask the symnptoms...if you are lucky) then make a choice...if our society allows you to make such a choice. Don't even want to hear the comments from the young (who do not think they will ever reach a situation such as this), or the religious nuts out there. Choice...the American way?...one can only hope.

June 5, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

@Reader...the recent murder of a well known suspect is not a theory. Get a clue and give it a rest. Calling it all a conspiracy theory is getting old.

June 5, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |