Friday's intriguing people
The Edmonton Oilers' Gilbert Brule picked up a hitchhiking Bono.
June 3rd, 2011

Friday's intriguing people

Gilbert Brule

The center for the Edmonton Oilers hockey team was driving down a road in West Vancouver, British Columbia, on Tuesday during a rainstorm when he came across an unlikely hitchhiker: U2 frontman Bono.

Bono and his assistant were out for a walk when, according to numerous reports, it started to rain. They looked for a lift to a dry place, and Brule and his girlfriend answered the call.

"I like ice hockey, because people who play ice hockey are the kind of people who pick up hitchhikers," Bono told a concert crowd Wednesday in Edmonton, Alberta.

In the crowd were Brule and his girlfriend, who sold their tickets to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals in Vancouver and jetted to Edmonton for the show, the CBC reported.

Greg Craig

The high-profile attorney is defending former U.S. Sen. John Edwards, the two-time presidential candidate who was indicted Friday on charges that he improperly used campaign funds during his 2008 presidential campaign.

Craig has said that his client "has done wrong in his life - and he knows it better than anyone - but he did not break the law." He said the government's theory of the case "is wrong on the facts and wrong on the law."

Craig defended then-President Bill Clinton during his impeachment trial in 1998.

James Fogle and Daniel Yost

For more than 30 years, screenplay writer Daniel Yost has collaborated with author and convicted felon James Fogle. That collaboration led to Yost and filmmaker Gus Van Zant writing the screenplay for the critically acclaimed film "Drugstore Cowboy," a 1989 film starring Matt Dillon.

Despite Fogle's creative mind, his chronic addiction to prescription drugs led him to crimes that have resulted in more than 35 years in prison. In a 2010 YouTube video, posted by Yost, Fogle detailed his various and continued drugstore robberies in search of prescription painkillers.

Still, Fogle has managed to write nine other manuscripts and four screenplays with Yost.

That creativity is reflected in his criminal life. He's behind bars again now, and as he recently told CNN's Patrick Oppmann, his poor health and advanced age are likely to result in him dying in prison.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Hockey • Music • NHL • Showbiz • Sports
  1. Anthony's Case Posts

I think he was in the process of trying to cover it up, but was not capable of doing it properly.

When there is a child missing, and your daughter’s car smells like a dead body, do you:

a) park it in the garage to air out?
    b) accidentally leave it in a bad part of town where it accidentally gets burned?
    c) Call the police immediately and report it?

As we know, he left the car in the garage to air out. I know if my car smells like a dead body, I would leave it outside, unless I did not want someone to SEE the car, like ummmm, the police.

June 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jinx

Well, thank you for the heads up, Engle.

June 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony's Case Posts

EVERYTIME I SEE HER SMILE IN COURT, OR ON HER ARREST TAPES, IT HAS GUILTY WRITTEN ALL OVER IT…….TOO BAD IM FROM MINNESOTA, OR ID BE IN ON THE RUSH TO GET A SEAT IN THAT COURTROOM, MY DAUGHTER WAS THE SAME AGE AS HERS, SHE JUST TURNED 6………MAKES ME SO ANGRY THAT SHE CAN LIE, LIE & LIE, AND SHOW NO FEELING OR REMORSE (FOR WHAT SHE DID, EVEN IF SHE DID’T KILL HER, YOU’D THINK SHE’D BE BAWLING HER EYES OUT FROM THE MEMORY OF IT ALL ) FOR HER PRECIOUS BABY GIRL…I KNOW THERES NO WAY I COULD SIT STONE FACED….DAY IN AND DAY OUT REGARDLESS OF HOW SHE DIED!!!!!!! I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO HOLD THE TEARS IN!!!

June 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mitch

@Anthony's case posts: If the state said you could execute Casey for killing Caylee, how would you execute her?

June 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anthony's Case Posts

This whole story is amazing to me. Its hard to beleive this child died and the father (George) helped his daughter cover it up, being a former officer he should have known the mother would be the 1st and obvious suspect, so why not come out with the truth, like some1 said if it happened that way the coroner wld find water in the lungs, now the defense comes up with this she drowned story, no way to prove it 100% and u want a jury to just by that from som1 who just admited she lied all this time. I just hope none of this jury has any blood relation to any of the jurors on the OJ case, cause all those jurors were and still are 100% retarded. Burn in hell OJ. and the idiots who let you off

June 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

I love being gay!

June 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

OK, Anthony Case Posts we get that you're upset & obsessed, but you don't have to yell! You are already preaching to the choir! As far as Bono hitching a ride! Didn't your mama tell you not to get into cars with strangers?!? Well, I suppose it worked out, Brule & his g-friend are some lucky canuks! BTW, I love creme brule'! Craig, the lawyer for Edwards defense is not so lucky! This is not gonna go well! I think Edwards may even get a prison term , if only for a short while, but the prosecution will throw all the books they can at him! I'm glad the famed, self-proclaimed "Drugstore Cowboy" is in prison, & trying to teach a message. I am concerned about where his $ goes! To his family, to charity? I can back that as long as he doesn't profit. Oh, a few dollars for cigs, is I suppose OK, but not enugh to support a continuing drug habit! And don't tell me about cigarettes! They are still legal & they are not hydrocodone!

June 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Sarcasm

I'm going to go out on a limb here – you have trouble holding a job and keeping your daily life organized, right?

June 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Anthony's Case Posts

Why couldn’t she have put the child up for adoption when she realized her parental duties were eating into her party time? That should have been evident relatively early in Caylees life! She could have been placed with a family while still an infant/toddler & been alive to enjoy a normal & secure life, right now! But being a sociopath means Casey has Ownership issues, so of course, she owned Caylee! That’s why she could kill her, she Owned her! Casey needs to burn in Hell!! Prison is too good for her!

June 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Sarcasm

If anyone knows this person, you need to get over to his/her house NOW! Something bad is going to happen. I'll bet there's something in his/ her medicine cabinet that can help, and he/ she hasn't been taking it.

June 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jinx

John Edwards is a slimeball.
    May his poor wife rest in peace!

June 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzz

Give me your poop

June 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr Sarcasm

Underacheiving former 1st round draft pick gives a ride to an overrated 60 year old Irish "rock" star/social activist. My eyeballs feel dirty just from reading it.

June 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mrs. Sarcasm

Honey, shut up. You're making an ass out of yourself again.

June 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

@ Anthony's Case Post, that was my post on June 3rd @ 2:29. You posted it right beneath my "Edwards etc." post, so you obviously Knew it was mine. I just can't figure out why you're doing this! Do you know, & will you share it with us when the case is over & Casey gets life in prison?? Is this some sort of social experiment ,or am I giving you too much credit?!?

June 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |