Gotta Watch: Tiananmen Square protests
June 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Tiananmen Square protests

It was a day in China's history that will never be forgotten.  June 4, 1989, Chinese troops opened fire on students and protesters in Tiananmen Square.  The protests began in April following the death of former Communist Party General Secretary Hu Yaobang. Only a handful of people originally showed up to the square in his memory, but as weeks passed hundreds of thousands of people joined the demonstration, which became a mass movement for political reform.  The protests remained peaceful until troops opened fire June 4th. The government reported 241 people were killed and 7,000 were wounded. In today's Gotta Watch we remember the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.

China's perfect storm - In 1989 the world watched mainly students and intellectuals protest in Tiananmen Square. CNN's Kristi Lu Stout details the most influential moments of the protests and the mystery that still surrounds the "tank man."

Dodging bullets for "tank man" - CNN photojournalist Jonathan Schaer opens up about how he feared for his life while capturing video of the "tank man" on June 5, 1989.

On the ground in Tiananmen Square - A CNN reporter stands inTiananmen Square as hundreds of thousands of people join the protest against Communist rule.

Post by: ,
Filed under: China • Gotta Watch • History • World
  1. USA

WOW look at all the Chinese government trolls on CNN! They are paid to change the subject and to try to make the Chinese government look good. Every time CNN posts a story about China they flood the comments section to change the subject and to proclaim China's superiority. This only shows how disparate they are. I can't wait for China and the USA to be friends, and that will happen when the Chinese people rise up and form a new government. And what do you bet I get a troll reply for this comment, here it comes!

June 4, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • PooFlinger

*splat* Don't talk about China! They do no wrong!

June 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Anthony's Case Posts

I am such an obsessed loser. I watch the Casey Anthony trial 24/7 because I don’t have anything else to focus my attention on. I wish I had a life, but I won’t as long as I can speculate on stuff that hasn’t anything to do with me. I need help.

June 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. What the........?

This has been the silliest thread that I've read in a long time.
    Thanks!

June 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chinese Journalist

How you speow 'Kent State' in Amewican? Awso, how to speow shotgun beanbag.

June 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chinese Journalist

Even chinaman know not even aussie name penguin joey. You think you ah so berry smaht. Maybe you go home now no pay.

June 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pix

*Facepalm*

Same as it ever was...
    Same as it ever was...

June 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Wer, China, I tlied to give your 1st comment thlee Michelin stars, but I was censoled. Then you attakoe me.
    Ticky?

June 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chinese Journalist

@USA. We are friends. You protect our oil flowing through Afghan pipelines, and we make cheap plasti-crud out of it that you buy at Wal-Mart. The more craep you buy, the more credit we (China) extend to you! It's a real friendly relationship, and your grandma keeps getting her social security checks to boot! If your troops stay and continue to protect our oil supply, we might even help you with Medicaid!

June 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LongSchlongSilver

Good post Philip, thank you.

June 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

In ah am belly smalt, Pix.
    I show you.

June 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ellis from Panama

Why don't you just write a book you pscho.

June 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ellis from Panama

Why don't you just write a book you psycho?

June 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Norman Bates

Anyone wanna join a religion? I'm the leader and I'm known as the all mighty supreme, ultimate master Bates

June 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ellis Island

Coming from you, Ellis, that means so much.....one of the biggest trolls EVER!!!!!

June 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anthony's Case Posts

OK, so if the child innocently drowned herself in the pool then why did Casey Anthony lie about it to the investigators when she was CLEARLY marked as a prime suspect?Why not just call an ambulance?
    THEN she got caught in the lie because the person she said was baby sitting her daughter( probably got the name in a phone book) never met her in her life.She got caught in the lie when she led the investigators to an apartment that WASN’T EVEN VACANT.No Where near where this babysitter really lived.
    After she got caught she sat in jail and came up with this even better story that is harder to be diss-proven.How did the duct tape get on her daughter again?How did the duct tape get on her daughters mouth again?
    OK OK so lets just ASSUME the little girl drowned in the pool………….Why would she cover up for her father after the defense clearly said her father said to her “I’m gonna make sure you go to prison for the rest of your life for this”Then she left and went partying

Casey Anthony is just NUTS and a pathological lair.She was living a lie for years even before this whole thing happened.The “babysitter” was a 2 yr lie that she fed to her dad and tried to feed to the investigators that ended up at an empty apartment.She should be tried for lying to the police on 2 accounts on top of everything...

June 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |