Gotta Watch: Tiananmen Square protests
June 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Tiananmen Square protests

It was a day in China's history that will never be forgotten.  June 4, 1989, Chinese troops opened fire on students and protesters in Tiananmen Square.  The protests began in April following the death of former Communist Party General Secretary Hu Yaobang. Only a handful of people originally showed up to the square in his memory, but as weeks passed hundreds of thousands of people joined the demonstration, which became a mass movement for political reform.  The protests remained peaceful until troops opened fire June 4th. The government reported 241 people were killed and 7,000 were wounded. In today's Gotta Watch we remember the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.

China's perfect storm - In 1989 the world watched mainly students and intellectuals protest in Tiananmen Square. CNN's Kristi Lu Stout details the most influential moments of the protests and the mystery that still surrounds the "tank man."

Dodging bullets for "tank man" - CNN photojournalist Jonathan Schaer opens up about how he feared for his life while capturing video of the "tank man" on June 5, 1989.

On the ground in Tiananmen Square - A CNN reporter stands inTiananmen Square as hundreds of thousands of people join the protest against Communist rule.

Post by: ,
Filed under: China • Gotta Watch • History • World
  1. Pix

P!ss on this. Pix out.

June 5, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I left a goodnight for Pix that was censored.
    I am really up too late.
    Gute Nacht!

June 5, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

So damned verbal, Troll!

June 5, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. toocy

@ Joey I-F: Hello. I post sometimes so you may have seen me around. As for the Casey Troll, it's starting to grow on me. It's like a train wreck, I can't look away. What goes on in a brain like that? Anyway, have a good night.

June 5, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

Why don't we Gotta Watch: 04 May, 1970 Kent State University?

June 5, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
    • duh

because it's 4 June, duh.

June 5, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

Epiphany's Cut n Paste Posts
    You asked for it and now "you will" receive it.
    I'm not a psychoanayst, but if I had a shot at it cut n paste boy, I without a doubt I would have to say your a person with paranoid schizophenia with a side order of sociopath.
    1. You consistantly cross-post large amounts of crap.
    2. You enjoy the negative feedback from others, to fuel you to post even more crap.
    3. You have no positive relationship or healthy blog relationship with anyone but yourself.
    4. You never offer wisdom, a sense of belonging, praise for others, humility, anything to the current CNN offering

PROGNOSIS: I will simply leave you alone to "run your course". My advice is for you (since your one of the ones that want to "get caught"), is to cut and paste your ass off with your phoney case files, until CNN impliments "a filter" to block you out. Thank You -Jeff

June 5, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. sandyk

@Jeff I agree with you it has some type disorder. I wonder if this is an attempt to become part of a community, hoping that we will be impressed by him. it is ignoring remarks directed towards it. for some reason it is fixated on this woman. maybe it was never socialized.

June 5, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

Sandyk.
      The sociopathic part? Thats the point. It's all to draw attention to himself. Regardless of who is annoyed by his cross-posts. It fuels him to do more.
      As far as his delusions for someone publicly. I doubt it, that he would publicly stalk someone.

June 5, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. sandyk

Maybe it (i dont know if he/she) is Casey Anthony`s cellmate or a juror LOL It will be interesting what happens after the trial is over.

June 5, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. styx figure

Time On My Hands Lyrics Send "Too Much Time On My Hands" Ringtone to your Cell Yeah, I'm sittin' on this bar stool talking like a damn fool Got the twelve o'clock news blues And I've given up hope for the afternoon soaps And a bottle of cold brew Is it any wonder I'm not crazy? Is it any wonder I'm sane at all? I'm so tired of losin', I've got nothing to do And all day to do it So, I go out cruisin', but I've no place to go And all night to get there Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal? Is it any wonder I'm not in jail? Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands? Ticking away with my sanity I've got too much time on my hands It's hard to believe such a calamity I've got too much time on my hands And it's ticking away -ticking away from me Too much time on my hands (T-T-T-T-T-Ticking away) Too much time on my hands (And I don't know what to do with myself) Too much time on my hands Too much time on my hands Too much time on my hands Too much time on my hands Now, I'm a jet-fuel genius I can solve the world's problems without even trying I got dozens of friends, and the fun never ends That is, as long as I'm buying Is it any wonder I'm not the President? Is it any wonder I'm null and void? Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands? Ticking away with my sanity I've got too much time on my hands It's hard to believe such a calamity I've got too much time on my hands And it's ticking away -ticking away from me Too much time on my hands (T-T-T-T-T-Ticking away) Too much time on my hands (And I don't know what to do with myself) Too much time on my hands Too much time on my hands (T-T-T-Ticking away) Too much time on my hands Too much time on my hands (Too much time on my hands) (Too much time on my...) Send "Too Much Time On My Hands"

June 5, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ toocy:
    Hello. I answered something you said earlier today...oh, I remember thinking you were someone else I knew, writing under toocy.
    What I perceive going on in that troll/Casey/psychologist's mind is the combination that, when disciplined, produces a Horowitz or a Callas: a powerful drive for attention (usually based on some hurt), super-fast conceptual thinking, positive selfishness in the Rand mode, and a desire to manipulate masses, with, sometimes, a lack of awareness of some or all of that dynamic. I have a class of about 10 pupils with that mix, most already professional musicians, and no time to accept more. I've worked with lots of legendary performers.
    Every great performer I've ever met had a version of that makeup, whether he believed it or not.
    Unfocused, it produces chaos.
    This troll/writer has fantastic potential. He may already be successful and just fooling around on a computer for fun. (I described it as "knitting" here recently.)
    Many call this man "stupid" when he annoys them–which he intends to do.
    I'd bet that his IQ tests at least in the 170s.
    He'll read this.
    I admire his gifts very much.

June 5, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. styx figure

June 5, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. styx figure

Just so we're clear im not the anthony troll

June 5, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ styx figure:
    Thank you for the clarity.

June 5, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. styx figure

Just think the song is appropriate.

June 5, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. sandyk

@styk you`re right about having much time! my beloved is a police officer the nights he works (he is on the job in DC) are really looong for me. we have been married for 25 years and he still make my heart skip a beat. so i am thankful for this blog

June 5, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |