Alleged Libyan rape victim leaves Libya for Malta, source says
Eman al-Obeidy has left Libya to go to Malta, a source told CNN.
June 5th, 2011

Alleged Libyan rape victim leaves Libya for Malta, source says

Eman al-Obeidy has left Libya and is on the way to Malta with her father, according to a high-level U.S. State Department source. She will eventually head to a processing center in Europe before leaving for a final destination. Al-Obeidy grabbed the world's attention this spring when she accused Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's security forces of gang-raping her. She has told CNN on repeated occasions that she wants to go to United States. Read more about this story as it develops.

Watch CNN's Nic Robertson report on the latest about al-Obeidy. Watch details of why Qatar, where al-Obeidy had been staying, deported her back to Libya last week. The United States said it was "disappointed" with Qatar's move.

Libyan rebels are arbitrarily detaining dozens of civilians suspected of being loyal to Gadhafi and are holding them without trial or due process, Human Rights Watch charged Sunday. At least one person is thought to have died in custody, with his body showing signs of torture, the group said in a report based on visits to rebel-held parts of Libya. It is difficult to tell exactly how many civilians are being held without charge because some are held by militias and because the rebels do not clearly distinguish between civilian detainees and captured pro-Gadhafi fighters, Human Rights Watch said.

The rebel Transitional National Council, based in Benghazi in eastern Libya, is seeking international support including money in its battle to oust Gadhafi. A NATO-led mission that has focused airstrikes on Gadhafi's military capability bolsters the rebel efforts.

For more on al-Obeidy, read CNN.com story about a CNN videographer who witnessed al-Obeidy's desperate cries when she rushed into the Tripoli hotel in late March.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Libya
  1. B. Madoff

I've got a nice little investment plan if anyone is interested in discussing.

June 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bunnyfart

intice me

June 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. phillip Marlowe

PS. Being Anderson Cooper cares so much about this train wreck, why doesn't he offer her his sofa in his big NYC apt?

June 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • john639

HaHa! She will get a HERO"s welcome from millions!!!! Take the day off and join the welcome party! heehee......

June 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. beermorebeer

Because of the dearth of relevant news on this site, I am changing my default page to http://www.yahoo.com. Anything but this...

June 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • john639

Thank you, now promise us you won't come back to comment!

June 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. NoTax

do not like arabs, they always make troubles

June 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • john639

don't like christians, look at the mess they've created in the USA!!!

June 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Larry Craig

Your so write, we are loosing this battle because we are loosing our family values.

June 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dmitri

can you have more words spelled incorrectly in one sentence? Wow you look ignorant.

June 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Doug

Seems to me this woman made the whole thing up just to come to the U.S. She is shady at !

June 5, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • john639

HaHA!!! she's coming to the USA to tell the world about the crimes by Libya thugs!!!! You can post all you want but her story will be heard around the world!!!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Bucktooth

That's a dumb answer! Men want to blame women for their short comings all of the time! Let's see if Arnold will blame Maria for his mistakes, or maybe Maria is making the whole thing up!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pix

Krishna, you are not going to see black eyes or bruises two freaking months down the road!
    So she's wearing make-up! So what?
    I'm a bit vain, I admit it! I wear it too!
    So she dresses well! What of it?
    The original article said she was well-dressed, albeit her clothing was torn because of her attack.
    What is with you?
    Are you suffering from "blame the victim" syndrome?

You sound a bit obsessed. Perhaps you should visit a qualified therapist.

June 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

Pix, if you are victim of such abuse and you know all about it them maybe you have to see therapist too, I don't have to.
      When a person gets abuse everywhere then either something wrong with that person, or that person may be lying about it. So in either case that person needs to see a therapist.

The law is law, without evidence no reasonable mind should blindly believe anyone's allegations, especially in this political game which suddenly has aired such case out of proportion like it is never heard before anywhere in this earth. What is behind this, I questioned?

If you believe the sky is falling only because somebody says so then it's your problem not mine. I speak with my mind not yours.

June 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nysro1

I think the woman is a fraud. I think she is using the sympathy we have for human nature, for a free ride to the US. All of you in favor of taking her in, her expenses should come out of YOUR taxes, and not the rest of us. We have enough gold diggers already in this country, we don't need another.

June 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • john639

YEA!!! VERY HAPPY THIS woman left LIBYA and coming to the USA!! Now she will be able to tell the world about the thugs in Libya!!!!

June 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

It is so true!

June 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike kerns

R Any decent American who has read any comments from the tea party mob that have made fun or insulted this women clearly show there lack of class,compassion. Or respect of humanity. Should comprehend these people truly are.miserable lonley trouble makers. They are

June 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • john639

Most of these guys are angry muslims pretending to be americans, posting anti-female hatred.......this works in the middle east, its a trick the dictators teach. They think americans will buy it as well.....

June 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

That's very thin way to defend your point, @ you, O mike kerns, just by saying tea party or republican!
      If I tell you, I am not republicans, I don't like tea baggers either, nor am I Clintonion; I am simply an Obama backer, but I don't support him on his this Libyan stride.

Our country is weathering with wars episodes, We needed to get rid of all we hold, but here we stand with another one knocking at our door very soon! It is a real blow on American soul; I believe we are digging wider hole.
      We should be reducing such crimes into our country than raising finger on others' backyard so quickly on the charges yet not confirmed, about that unstable lady, Al-Obeidy!

You talking about American way? I wonder how come you did not learn 'Innocent until proven guilty'? Without prove we can't confirm whether her allegations are true or not. And that is certainly is the American way as far as I am concerned, I don't care if you believe otherwise.

June 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

*Facepalm*

June 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. john639

YEA!!!!! so happy, she is a BEAUTIFUL woman. I hope she comes to America and gives a 60 minutes interview. Lara Logan can interview her. It would be so powerful. The world will WAKE UP to the CRIMES AGAINST WOMEN EVERYWHERE by thugs and dictators!

June 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • idiot

I'll commit a crime against you, you troll. Stfu.

June 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Juan Carlos

What row on the plane did she sit in? What movie did she watch? Was the lineup at security a big deal? Did her luggage arrive ok?

I just can't get enough of this story!!

June 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brian

"Being Anderson Cooper cares so much about this train wreck"...............................................................

"Well er duh and well ya know an uh mm. And furthermore, duh." – Anderson Cooper in one of his more lucid moments.

June 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mm

CNN – I'm tired of reading about this liar! She made the whole thing up just to get out of Libya. Doesn't she have a law degree or something like that? She's not stupid. She knows fully well what she's doing. I just hope she doesn't wind up in the U.S. Stay in Malta with the other Libyan rebels.

June 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

Oh mm, you made me really laugh. I like your comment.

June 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pix

I wasn't aware that Libyan laws on travel were so bad that a woman has to supposedly make up a horrendous assault to get out of Libya.
    It happened. Get over it.

June 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |