Alleged Libyan rape victim leaves Libya for Malta, source says
Eman al-Obeidy has left Libya to go to Malta, a source told CNN.
June 5th, 2011

Alleged Libyan rape victim leaves Libya for Malta, source says

Eman al-Obeidy has left Libya and is on the way to Malta with her father, according to a high-level U.S. State Department source. She will eventually head to a processing center in Europe before leaving for a final destination. Al-Obeidy grabbed the world's attention this spring when she accused Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's security forces of gang-raping her. She has told CNN on repeated occasions that she wants to go to United States. Read more about this story as it develops.

Watch CNN's Nic Robertson report on the latest about al-Obeidy. Watch details of why Qatar, where al-Obeidy had been staying, deported her back to Libya last week. The United States said it was "disappointed" with Qatar's move.

Libyan rebels are arbitrarily detaining dozens of civilians suspected of being loyal to Gadhafi and are holding them without trial or due process, Human Rights Watch charged Sunday. At least one person is thought to have died in custody, with his body showing signs of torture, the group said in a report based on visits to rebel-held parts of Libya. It is difficult to tell exactly how many civilians are being held without charge because some are held by militias and because the rebels do not clearly distinguish between civilian detainees and captured pro-Gadhafi fighters, Human Rights Watch said.

The rebel Transitional National Council, based in Benghazi in eastern Libya, is seeking international support including money in its battle to oust Gadhafi. A NATO-led mission that has focused airstrikes on Gadhafi's military capability bolsters the rebel efforts.

For more on al-Obeidy, read CNN.com story about a CNN videographer who witnessed al-Obeidy's desperate cries when she rushed into the Tripoli hotel in late March.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Libya
  1. Anthony's Case Posts

his entire ordeal shows just how off kilter our judicial system is. We have a very spoiled Casey who has apparently never had to take responsibility for anything she’s done, thanks to her parental upbringing. Now that she’s in deep trouble, of course she has to come up with some lie which throws someone else under the bus for the blame. Due to the way our lawyers make their money and play the game, her defense is willing to plot in the same way to cast doubt so Casey again never becomes responsible for her detrimental actions. I don’t know if her parents played any part in any cover-up and I would hope they didn’t. But why cover up an accidental drowning if that’s really what happened? BTW – did you ever wonder how the name ‘Caylee’ came about? Isn’t it a combination of ‘Casey’ and ‘Lee’, hence ‘Caylee’? Anyway you look at this situation and everyone involved, it is certainly very sad and disturbing, and the poor little 2 yr old girl took the brunt of her caregivers’ sicknesses

June 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. -.-

Oh, phuck off Anthony's! Give it a phucking rest, you phuckin moron!

June 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Give Eman al-Obeidy a break. She has been through enough.
    The empathy shown here is overwhelming me.

June 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzz

I just made a green apple poop pie. Awesome.

June 5, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. joe roth

Screw her. Well, go the hell away.

June 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hardworking

Funny how all these "MUSLIMS" want to come to this "EVIL" country. First choice to live ...USA. First choice to blow up a country USA.

June 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. psychicstalker

How anybody could draw a comparison between what happened to Eman al-Obeidi to Casey Anthony is beyond reason. I have read Eman is coming to the US, I am very glad because now maybe she can actually get some physical and mental health treatment for what happened to her back in March to now. I hope one day she will get justice too. You have to wonder if the girl that helped her escape from the compound is still alive and whether the people that lived near the compound that clothed Eman and got her to the Rixos hotel are still alive because the regime found out who they were when they investigated. I am just glad she is out of there, but there are at least a 1,000 more women and little girls in Libya this happened to. She has to have some chance to heal because she is their voice because as horrendous as this is she is able to figure things out and speak but they are not. If she can get help and heal, then she can say what happened, and if she can say what happened they will say what happened to them and then maybe women might be able to stand up and be counted as human beings in Libya. I don't see the Casey Anthony case benefiting anyone except to show how not to be a dysfunctional family.

June 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. exnard

May she find peace, happiness, and SILENCE in Malta.

June 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

@psychicstalker:

The Casey poster is a troll. It posts on every topic on every blog. Ignore it.

Otherwise, your post is spot-on. Well done.

June 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. samy

Sick and boring lady...just get out of my daily headlines. we dont care if 15 libyan soldiers pumped you
    up !!

June 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

Samy, I feel that way too.

June 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mom of Three

Blessings. We are all sisters, and until you are free, I am not free.

June 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anthony's Case Posts

Has any one watched the jail house taps where George Anthony was talking to Casey when she was in jail the first time, he said I wish I would have been a better grandfather, that is talking past tense, that means he knew the baby was all ready dead.
    Need to watch the taps carefully I do believe it has been a cover up with every one in the family. George was a cop, he knows how to cover up things like that and never thought it would go this far, so now he has to play along with it so he won’t be in trouble. Cindy knew it to, it's an act with them all. When Cindy asked Casey where the baby was she said to Cindy," are you kidding me". So I take it as Cindy already knew as well. Did you hear Cindy tell Casey the reward was all ready up to 225.000, that's about all Cindy really care’s, Cindy has already made a lot of money off of the baby and even went to New York to write a book and Lee was there as well with his lawyer. The book is to make money off the poor baby, I am a grandmother, if it was my grandchild I would have been out every day looking for my daughter and grand baby. Cindy said about taking the baby swimming on the 15th, I think it happened that day and they are all covering it up, Cindy even told her coworkers on the 17 that some one had been in the pool and left the ladder up ..they had to act like they didn’t know anything to cover their ass, and all the smell from the car could have been put there after George and Cindy got the car. Every one that was in the car when Casey had it couldn't smell anything, something is not right, if it did happen like Casey said, George had the baby and put the baby some where to hide her and George knows all about the hair band. I just pray GOD will get the truth out. Casey had to lie because her parent’s taught her how to lie cause they lie, yes I know it is wrong but Casey was scared of them and what would happen, so she did what she was told and now George and Cindy are just worried about them. All the money they will make from the poor baby its just a front. Cindy has to keep the front up because she said she has become disabled from all this money and they know now Casey can get them for wrongful death, every one needs to keep an open mind and watch the taps. God will show the truth..

June 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pix

@Krishna:
    Every post of your speaks nothing but hatred and vitriol for this woman.
    If you do not believe her, that is one thing.

One does not need to be an expert on abuse to know that two months down the road, wounds such as scratches and black eyes would have healed.
    I have no idea what would have lead you to believe that I had been victim of such abuse, or a victim of anything.

Indeed, that is not the point here. And your portrayal of what a victim is, quite frankly, quite extraordinary, and not applicable to me at all.
    I have to wonder: methinks thou protesteth too much.
    You were not questioning, actually. You were flat out insinuating that she is a liar.

Your reasons for doing so sounds less than altruistic, thus leading me to believe you were blaming the victim for her assault.

If I have offended you with the suggestion of therapy...well, then, I have offended you. So be it.

It's just that your knee-jerk reaction to this woman's plight, and, well, the same reaction to my post sounds a little...unhealthy.
    And a tad obsessive.
    Are you also writing the Anthony posts?

June 5, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

I speak what I see, hey Miss Pix. I didn't see any black eye since the day she was appearing in the hotel and on the media publicity, and since the very first time, then how come I say I do see her black eyes, if I am not lying.

Since she came in the air I am noticing this woman, and her dramatize episode in that hotel. Her story has been blown out of proportion so naturally everyone, too, is noticing her face and body.

So you want to tell me you saw her bruises, like phony emperor's clothes when she showed up on the screen two months' ago?

Maybe you are profited by some groups or by politics but I am free of that motives. To speak for truth is my manner I never let it down for any of that garbage.

If you have problem with my such stand for fact then you can complain with your therapist as soon as you can. It is better for you before it is too late, O dear, I really worry about you as a friend on board.

And the other thing listen carefully that you better have your eye checked up too, because you are seeing so much black spot everywhere like you do on Al- Obeidi's cheeks!

Finally you have to learn the lesson while blaming on others that - innocent until proven guilty. Without proven the case of Abuse I will not be blinded fool like you!

June 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. -.-

Krishna, you sound deranged. Did you take your meds this morning like a good widdle girl?

June 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Krishna Ghimire

I am Krishna, Mantra is my Meds. I never derange or else!

June 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anthony's Case Posts

If the child innocently drowned herself in the pool then why did Casey Anthony lie about it to the investigators when she was CLEARLY marked as a prime suspect?Why not just call an ambulance?
    THEN she got caught in the lie because the person she said was baby sitting her daughter( probably got the name in a phone book) never met her in her life.She got caught in the lie when she led the investigators to an apartment that WASN’T EVEN VACANT.No Where near where this babysitter really lived.
    After she got caught she sat in jail and came up with this even better story that is harder to be diss-proven.How did the duct tape get on her daughter again?How did the duct tape get on her daughters mouth again? OK so lets just ASSUME the little girl drowned in the pool………….Why would she cover up for her father after the defense clearly said her father said to her “I’m gonna make sure you go to prison for the rest of your life for this”Then she left and went partying

Casey Anthony is just NUTS and a pathological lair.She was living a lie for years even before this whole thing happened.The “babysitter” was a 2 yr lie that she fed to her dad and tried to feed to the investigators that ended up at an empty apartment.She should be tried for lying to the police on 2 accounts on top of everything

June 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |