Florida government defends requiring drug tests for welfare recipients
Rick Scott, the governor of Florida, supports drug testing for Floridians who want to receive welfare benefits.
June 5th, 2011

Florida government defends requiring drug tests for welfare recipients

Florida Gov. Rick Scott is defending recent legislation that requires adults in the state applying for welfare assistance to undergo drug screenings, saying the law provides "personal accountability."

"It's not right for taxpayer money to be paying for somebody's drug addiction," Scott said on CNN on Sunday. "On top of that, this is going to increase personal responsibility, personal accountability. We shouldn't be subsidizing people's addiction."

But the ACLU of Florida disagrees. It has already filed suit against Scott over a measure requiring government employees to undergo random drug testing. It says it may sue over the welfare law as well.

"What (Scott) is doing is giving ugly legitimacy to an unfortunate stereotype that has been in this country for a couple of decades - that all welfare recipients are a bunch of drug abusers," said Howard Simon, executive director of the ACLU of Florida.

Scott told CNN he wants to ensure that welfare funds go to their primary target - to disadvantaged children - and provide people with an incentive not to use drugs. He signed the measure on June 1, calling it "the right thing for taxpayers."

Under the law, which takes effect on July 1, the Florida Department of Children and Family Services will be required to conduct the drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida • Politics
  1. Anthony's Case Posts

While Casey Anthony lived a web of lies, it seems that the lies were mostly pragmatic ways to put off the inevitable…her mother finding her out. What if instead of planning to kill her child she was planning to kill her mother. It may seem strange at first, until you realize that both Mr. House and Mr. Lazzaro testified that Casey was planning to move back into “her home as soon as the parents moved out” , either into their own apartment, ” or left the house to her”. While we know well that the parents were financially strapped and had no intention of doing this, these statements shed light into her cognitions and fantasies concerning her parents? “neck breaking”? “chloroform”? Don’t those search terms indicate methods to subdue a full grown adult, and not a child after all? Perhaps her daughter’s death wasn’t planned after all, and perhaps we will never know, but, the planning of Casey’s mother’s death would have been no accident and would have brought insurance revenue into the home. Just food for thought.

June 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • STEWART RAYMOND WEAVER

the whole trial and police are racist... if you look at her picture close.. you can see her elven ears!!

June 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggy

June 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. STEWART RAYMOND WEAVER

this is totally stupid... i need my weed because my elven feet ache from wearing human shoes... i can't get a normal job and need the welfare.. you humans are so cruel.

June 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony's Case Posts

has any one watched the jail house taps where George Anthony was talking to casey when she was in jail the first time he said i wish i would have been a better granfather that is talking as pasttence that means he knew the baby was all ready dead need to watch the taps carefully i do believe it has been a cover up with every one in the family George was a cop he knows how to cover up things like that and never thought it wouldn’t go this far so now he has to play along with it so he won’t be in trouble and Cindy knew it to it is a act with them all when cindy ask casey where the baby was she said to to cindy are you kiding me so i take it as cindy already knew as well and did you her cindy tell casey the reward was all ready up to 225.000 thats about all cindy really care’s about Cindy has already made a lot of money off of the baby and even went to new york to about a book and Lee was there as well with his lawyer on the book they all out to make money off the poor baby i am a grand mother if was with my grand child every day like cindy and George i would been out the very day looking for my daughter and grand baby Cindy told about her taking the baby swiming on the 15th i think it happened that day and they are all covering it up cindy even told her coworks on the 17 th some one had been in the pool and left the ladder up ..they had to act like they didn’t know any thing to cover there ass and all the smell from the car could have been put there after George and Cindy got the car every one that was in the car when Casey had it no one could smell any thing something not right if it did happen like casey said George would have had the baby and put the baby some where to hide her and George knows all about the hair band i just pray GOD will get the truth out Casey had to lie because her parent’s tought her how to lie cause they lie yes i know it is wrong but casey was scared of them and what would happen so she did what she was told and now George and Cindy is just worried about them self and all the money the will make off of the poor baby it is just a front Cindy has to keep the front up because she said she has become disable from all this hummmmmmmmmmmmm money again and they know now casey can get them for wrongfull death every one need to keep a open mind and watch the taps better thanks and pray God will show the truth.

June 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |

Maggy

June 5, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saxle

finally someone is getting it right. Good job Rick Scott.

June 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Well, of *course* the ACLU got their butts involved...
    I see no problem with people applying for aid getting tested.
    If they are on the up and up, it shouldn't matter.

Any legitimate reason for having drugs in their system would be disclosed beforehand.
    I really don't see how this would be anything other than a good idea.

June 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • STEWART RAYMOND WEAVER

i have a "whizzinater" so test me all you want..

drug test that arent based on a hair test can be beat real easy..

unless they have some one get right down there at P-level and watch teh P shoot out the P-hole into the cup.. i voulenteer the trooll to do this job..

June 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggy

The ACLU is out of their mind. I bet if one searched their cases, that many of their cases contradict other cases they havd filed. OK so doesn't a child on welfare have a right to a secure nurturing loving environment? You mean to tell me they think a drug addicted parents rights in this case trump those of a helpless child? That's absolutely disgusting

June 5, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jj

god the ACLU never misses an opportunity to make themselves look like fools

June 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rich

I think this is a great idea. I have run into dozens of welfare recipients (mostly all white) that used illegal drugs while on the system. I've also heard of stories of these same recipients standing out in front of grocery stores selling dollars on their welfare cards. They will actually go shopping with you and pay for your food at the checkout. In return you give them a fraction of what the overall bill costs. I've got to think that some of these people have kids at home that are going hungry at night. Let's face it, if you are selling your welfare dollars to support your drug addiction while your kids are going hungry, you don't need additional money on the card, you need to be locked up for child abuse.

I think drug tests should be required for any government assistance program.

June 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

It is funny you mention this because just last week I had a gentleman come up to me in the supermarket parking lot and offer the same deal. I decided against it because I knew what the money was going to be used for. When asked he told me he was raising money to jump on a bus to see a sick relative. As a social worker I immediately noticed his jitters and certainly believe he was a heroin addict. He also made no attempt to hide the track marks on his arm.

The problem is the govt while intentions are good, continue to add fuel to the fire. I think by implementing random drug tests, it will greatly reduce (not all) the amount of people sucking our system dry. The sad thing about this is there is a single mother that has a dead end job, barely able to keep food on the table, that will be denied access to the welfare system this month. Just because she made a dollar over the poverty line.

June 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggy

Rich well said!

June 5, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

they drug test us in the military once a month, and we work for our money, why can't they drug test people looking for hand outs from the government?

June 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. WhirledPeas

I absolutely, 100% agree with Rick Scott and the ACLU needs to back off because the children of these druggies are suffering beyond belief and they have rights too. We see, on a daily basis, in our community the access card fraud and the kids who suffer. I couldn't give a damn if the adult benefactors of welfare rot in jail but the kids are not being helped by the system that supports the drug habits of their parents.

June 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

but then what happens to the children of these drug addicts...they go hungry. its a no win situation 😦

June 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • idiotsgoaway

I wish there was a like button for that comment 🙂

July 26, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

@Rich: I know the kind of people you are talking about. Those are the druggies.
    Conversely, I have seen people loading up their carts with the finest meats, themselves dressed in expensive clothing, paying with food stamps, then putting them in the trunk of their brand-new Caddy's.
    This is while I was buying ramen noodles and hot dogs, with cash.

Abuse doesn't know any color.

June 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • OKLAHOMAN

I was a single moterh who WORKED sometimes two jobs and slept very little but still needed a little help, I was told that I may be able to get $60.00 a month because I owned a decent car that was left me when my mom died. I told them forget it I would make it on my own, I struggled for 16 years but I did it and have 3 wonderful children who respect me beyond belief. It only works for lazy people who don't care if they ever get ahead in life. They of course ate better than we did which is so stupid. I also have never smoked and could not have afforded it if I did, but they do....it is about time something is done. Sad thing is it will be the kids that suffer as ususal.

June 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RUFFNUTT

i know alot of wefale people that also have cash jobs..on the side..

June 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anthony's Case Posts

OK, so if the child innocently drowned herself in the pool then why did Casey Anthony lie about it to the investigators when she was CLEARLY marked as a prime suspect?Why not just call an ambulance?
    THEN she got caught in the lie because the person she said was baby sitting her daughter( probably got the name in a phone book) never met her in her life. She got caught in the lie when she led the investigators to an apartment that WASN’T EVEN VACANT. No Where near where this babysitter really lived.
    After she got caught she sat in jail and came up with this even better story that is harder to be diss-proven. How did the duct tape get on her daughter again?How did the duct tape get on her daughters mouth again? OK so lets just ASSUME the little girl drowned in the pool………….Why would she cover up for her father after the defense clearly said her father said to her “I’m gonna make sure you go to prison for the rest of your life for this”Then she left and went partying

Casey Anthony is just NUTS and a pathological lair. She was living a lie for years even before this whole thing happened. The “babysitter” was a 2 yr lie that she fed to her dad and tried to feed to the investigators that ended up at an empty apartment. She should be tried for lying to the police on 2 accounts on top of everything..

June 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |

Maggy

I am confused, I thought this was a commentary about the Florida government doing drug tests?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????What does this have to do with Casey Anthony? Post elsewhere

June 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ellen

Scott for president!

June 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

I second that nomination!!!

June 7, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Pala

Fer Sher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT

SHE HAD A BABYSITTER!! the sitters name was "clory formy".

she jsut knock he kid out then throw her in the trunk.. and go party..

June 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@Ruffie:
    The nanny's name was Nanny Zannie, for Xanax. She knocked that kid out on a regular basis. No lie.

Hi, BTW.