Gotta Watch: Remembering Reagan
President Ronald Reagan salutes as he tells a joke during his address to the leadership of the American Legion on February 10.
June 5th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Remembering Reagan

Ronald Reagan, "The Great Communicator" and conservative icon, served two presidential terms, which included an assassination attempt on his life and his famous call to the Soviet Union to tear down the Berlin Wall. In his post-presidential life, Reagan suffered from Alzheimer's disease and died on June 5, 2004. In today’s Gotta Watch, we remember the actor-turned-statesman.

Reagan's funeral – Political heads, showbiz veterans and admirers all turned out for Reagan's funeral. Nancy Reagan stood silently and stoically as she watched her husband's coffin be loaded into a hearse.

Assassination attempt – News of the Reagan’s shooting shocked a nation as it tenuously waited to learn just how seriously the new president was injured. Details were slim at first, but as the day continued, the world learned Ronald Reagan was in serious danger and required surgery.

Reagan in his own words – He was known for his great communication skills. Watch the delivery, the charisma and the bravado that became synonymous with Ronald Reagan.

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch • Obituary • Republican Party
  1. Pix

@Infomercial:

Soooo wrong. Hilarious, hell yes, but soooo wrong!

June 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Infomercial

@Pix: Ok wise all knowing one.... What's right? I've had 30+ years to come to my conclusion. What have you been doing? Clumsy fumbling through life with blinders on? Just using some stupid carrot and stick cliches to get you through another day? So what's your answer? I think some sick weirdo is putting on a puppet show for us. Maybe it's the devil, maybe an old friend, but whatever it is I know I never had an honest chance, nor did I have any free choices. Tell me your theory. 🙂 I know I was trying to be witty before, but I assure there's nothing funny going on.

June 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

I lived and worked while reagon was president and i will tell you what once he cleaned up after carter and what a mess that was i have been woking ever since untill we get this idiot that we have now in obama and i hope and pray enough americans are smart enough to vote obama out in 12 and palin in

June 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimi1127

"i hope and pray enough americans are smart enough to vote obama out in 12 and palin in"
      Never thought I read a sentence like the above. Got me laughing & crying simultaneously.

June 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

@gung hoe I truly didn't believe there was anyone dumb enough to say what you just said.

June 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honest

Reagon? Wow, and who's the idiot here? And you want PALIN instead of Obama in 2012. You are a moron!!

June 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarineDad

@ gung hoe

I really didn't want to bring this up...but here goes:
      Reagan was all talk..not much else.

Conservatives comlain about 'cut n run'. Guess who did that? Reagan cut and ran from Lebabnon after 244 Marines were killed.

Conservatives are all against 'amnesty to illegal aliens'. Guess who gave amnesty to them – yeah you guessed it Ronald Reagan.

Reagan was also responsible for the welfare program called 'Earned Income credit: – we still have it new. And Conservatives hate welfare programs for the pooer.

Reagan was also responsible for the Iran-Contra mess. Where he and his administration collaborated with IRAN.

He also cheated on his wife to marry Nancy...

And this guy was your hero? And I am not sure why? He did a whole lot of things you conservatives and tea party guys hate.

Obama is probably the best president we have had in a long time, He is intelligent, smart, well educated, has a stable family, & has family values, and fantastic on far reaching policies for the country.

The only possible thing you have against him is his color. Well, sorry about that.. just grin and bear it till 2016.

You guys don't have a ghost of a chance with all your hatred, bigotry, and myopic vision for the country.

June 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Riff*Raff

@MarineDad-agreed! Not to mention raising taxes 9 times-or was it only 8? Not to mention his Screen Actor's Guild union membership. Isn't revisionist history fun?

June 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Paul NYC

I'm sure some people in Nicaragua and El Salvador have very fond memories of Mr. Reagan. Unfortunately, they are all buried in mass graves.

June 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ronny Raygun

My Star Wars defense shield protected you from those pesky Russians pretty good eh! Who?

June 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pix

@Crocker:
    Patton is a troll who hijacks names and posts the same pablum under them. He's nothing. Ignore him.

June 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gene Brady

Reagan the idiot puppet, was the beginning of the demise of America. The Republicans hail him as a great, if not the greatest President. But he brgan the decline of our standing in the world. He began the Union busting, eroding of our rights, strengthened the Corporate/Military Complex, set up the Supreme Court with Republican/Corporate leaning puppets like himself (named by those that controlled him) and set up the corruption of the entire Government. It's time he and his pathetic wife are shown for what they did to this once great country.

June 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger

GOOD BAD OR OTHER, HE MADE YOU FEEL HAPPY/GLAD TO BE AN AMERICAN !!!!! YOU CAN'T NAME ANOTHER !

June 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pix

One more thing: Reagan used a teleprompter. Make no mistake.

And please, no one could mangle/make up new words in the English language better than GWB.
    His "Bushisms" are legendary and laughable.
    With or without a teleprompter, Presidents are human.

June 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Irina

Thank you, Gene Brady. Well put.

June 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Salvador

Ronald Reagan was responsible for creating, supporting and funding oppressive governments and dictatorships throughout Latin America in the 1980's. I personally witnessed the atrocities Ronald Reagan was responsible for and name him among the top mass murdering criminals in modern history. Hundreds of thousands of poor people in Latin America were murdered and millions oppressed as a consequence of his actions. Anyone who deems this man "someone to look up to" or "a great leader" is either misinformed or has no regard for human rights or human life. Every time I remember him, I will always remember a criminal.

June 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pat

Reagin the No. 1 worst President we ever had and probably nobody will top that brainless fool.

June 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • wial

Oh, Bush gave him a run for his money. They're both brain-rotted and fantastically harmful, to be sure.

June 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pix

Before you getting your panties/tighty whities in a wad, for the most part I was in agreement with what you were saying.
    If you do not expect feedback, one way or another, don't post. You wit was noted, and commented upon.
    There is no need to be facetious, oh mouthy one.

I assure you, I am well aware of what's going on in today's world. And, I assure you, it is *not* funny.

When one says "oh, that's so wrong", as I said, it's really meant as a compliment as to the wit within your remarks, not that you are wrong in your opinion.
    It's a kind of slang. I assume you know what that is.
    My question is, of course, rhetorical.

June 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pat

There is word the right wing nuts are planning on annointing him sainthood so they can build an alter and they can kneel down in front of him and pray...Ronnie, Ronnie help me, help me. LOL!!!

June 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pix

Oops, that was meant for Infomercial.

And stop with the stupid clichès yourself.

I've been around longer that you, cupcake, and I do assure you that I have forgoten more than you'll ever learn.

How's that for one of your clichès?

June 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pat

Such a pathetic creature....even his own son despised him. Gee, I wonder why.

June 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarineDad

Like GW Bush, Reagan's son would have amounted to nothing. The guy still ride's his father's coattails,.

June 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pat

Word has it he "declared war" on his own son. I guess everybody was an enemy to him.

June 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |