Gotta Watch: Remembering D-Day
Reinforcements disembarking from a landing barge at Normandy during the allied invasion of France on D-Day
June 6th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Remembering D-Day

On June 6th, 1944, more than 150,000 Allied troops poured onto the heavily fortified beaches of Normandy, France, in one of the most decisive battles of World War II. The D-Day invasion marked a beginning of the end of the war and the defeat of the Nazi regime in Europe. This particular operation was at a high cost to the Allied forces, with nearly 10,000 troops killed or wounded. Today marks the 67th anniversary of that pivotal operation.

'We didn't have time to fear' - World War II veterans recount what it was like to participate in the invasion of Normandy.

D-Day begins - After years of meticulous planning and training for the Allied forces, it all came down to June 6, 1944.

Post by:
Filed under: Adolf Hitler • France • Gotta Watch • History
  1. Dante

Real heroes!!!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GDBnNH

My father, USN Beach Assault Team, and his two brothers, one a tank commander and the other aboard the USS Texas, were at Omaha Beach that day. Meanwhille, on my mother's side of the family, another uncle arrived at Stalag Luft IV on the same day. I am proud to have had these men in my life. I only wish I had their courage and character.

June 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • GDBnNH

and by the way, I'll be watching "The Longest Day" later tonight. It's a tradition with me to watch it on June 6.

June 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Phil

I am from the USA! This war however was a world war! Everyone! My father received 4 Bronze Stars, 4 Silver Stars & 3 Purple Hearts! Why? He fought for man kind! (The World). Respect All and please be kind! Many have lost many and still feel the pain. Be kind! You may need our hearts and soles some day!

June 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel

Good grief,how times have changed! Back then,this country had a good reason to go to war but today,we go to war simply to make a profit and for the right-wing politicians to promote their political careers and that's wrong!!!

June 6, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Phil

To Our Veterans! Thank You! Without you many could not write what they do! But as you see many more thank you! I hold my tongue, because I was taught actions speak louder than words. I pray your action have spoken loud enough! If not count me in!

June 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. michael l garrett

thank you very much.viet/desert storm vet,airborne all the way.

June 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bryan

Thank you to all vets!!! My grandfather was at Pearl. He then went on to fight the Germans. I am 42, and as a child, being raised part-time by him has it's frightening nighttime memories of when he would get up screaming in the darkness yelling obscenities at the ceiling trying to prevent the Nazis from coming into our house. Having been raised in the freedom he and others like him helped me to realize as a child that without men like them, we all might be experiencing the horror others around the world experience even now. He has passed on, but when I recall how when I was 5 years old, he was about my age now. My hero. I can't fathom or thank enough the great effort put forth by those that came before us. Our freedom now was in their hands then.

June 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

Also, the mental health sacrifice they made for all of us for the duration of the rest of their lives.

June 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. not just for the USA

people that are saying they did these men sacrificed only for this country are selling their sacrifice short... they were fighting for nothing short of the entire world... god bless them, especially the ones that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

June 6, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Josh Anderson

9/10 Nazis was killed by Soviet troops. That says it all.

June 7, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. Harry

thank you so much for everything, and most of all thanks for liberating my grandparents from the camps and giving my parents a shot ot make a better life here.

June 7, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. kariatkins

Every immigrant coming into this country should be made aware of what these brave souls fought & died for... our freedom, and it's the conerstone of our society. Don't like it? Easily offended? Then this isn't the country for you. http://bit.ly/lwDh13

June 7, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bahb

Is getting drafted and sent half-way arounf the world to die really what you call "making the ultimate sacrifice"? Are you sure that it isn't simply "becoming another sacrfifice"?

June 7, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bahb

They fought and died for a nearly deserted beach. That's it. There was nothing to gain by "taking back" what the Nayzees had already abandonded. Normandy was a huge waste.

June 7, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bahb

When we consider how low those who came before us stooped, it's a wonder we are even here at all.

June 7, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. SFC Neal, (US Army)

You know I am reading the comments, I am feeling the love of country that beats in many of your hearts and we as defenders or our nations interests thank you for supporting us. Those who talk bad about us and attempt to undermine our efforts worldwide, we just listen to you, hold our tongue and look forward again ready to engage anyone who tries to take that right away from you.
    Please realize however that without us, the armed forces of the greatest on earth many people would try to force their beliefs on you. Look at other countries right now torn by violence, assassinations being carried out by those who are supposed to protect the citizens, women being violated by forces that are supposed to protect their nation's interests. That could be us if it weren't for a few basic things that so many US citizens and non-citizen residents take for granted.
    We in the armed service love our God and we love our family and we love our country. We are willing to bear many burdens to make sure our families and eventually all of those who call the United States of America home will live a life of freedom, one that doesn't limit them because of race, color or religion, we defend the idea of "all men (and women) are created equal" (Declaration of Independence) we defend the idea that "all can serve a higher source of their own understanding" (First Amendment) we defend the idea that "everyone can say what they want to say, even if we don't want to hear it" (First Amendment).
    The men that came before me, the ones that I have trained and work with now and the ones that will come after me who put into action their love of country with service to this great nation have sacrificed, are sacrificing and will sacrifice in order to keep Old Glory flying high. It's not the citizens and residents that make America what it is; it's the idea of America that makes it what it is. All we can do is hope at the end of the day is that you as citizens and residents continue to support us, understand we go into battle with a weary heart and dispatch the enemies of freedom only when we have to. The only people that really ever fully understand war are those that have been in combat. And trust me from a very personal view, combat is the last thing we in the armed services want, but we are more than willing to take up arms to defend those who can't or won't.
    The GREAT men and women that came before me and fought in various major conflicts from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, The Mexican-American War, The Civil War, The Spanish-American War, The Philippine-American War, World War 1, World War 2, The Korean War, Vietnam War, The Persian Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm) will never be forgotten by those who serve and by those who personally felt their loss if they died defending the interests of our country. So thanks for supporting us, thanks for exercising your freedom of speech.

June 8, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |