Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Jim

Note to American Men: Don't you dare go to the public pool with your kids this weekend; The display of your bare chest will disqualify you for elected office.

June 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uniblob

That's really not the point. He betrayed the public trust by lying about the whole thing. He needs to resign.

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatever

I think you miss the point. Showing that when your back is against the wall, that your representative in congress will lie to save face is the larger issue. Had he owned up to it, your point would be valid and I would not consider it an issue.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angy

what the he!! was he thinking. Oh I know he was thinking with the lower brain. IDIOT!!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hesiod

Remember folks. These conservative retards are the same people who thought THIS photo was a real one too:

You people are a massive pack of raging idiots.

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hesiod

Hey conservative morons: This is not the same guy in the photo.

You people are dumber than dog crap.

June 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sambo

you said dog crap, that is your name I believe.

June 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • equality

SO HE ADMITED IT. WHO IS DOG CRAP NOW??LMAO

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

well he wouldn't be a true member of congress if he wasn't an admitted pervert

June 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. equality

i am going to laugh when all you libs find out this really is weiner. but then again you probably still wont believe it. lol. this is going to be great.

June 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hesiod

The only way you would know if this was really Rep. Weiner is if you have seen him with his clothes off. Otherwise, you are a lying rightwing retard.

June 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TALKing point

I think he think that we're all stupid to think that he can fool all of us. in the end i think he is a dumber may be dumbest and he can put that in his book or his twister account.

June 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hesiod

I think Breitbart is laughing at how f-ing stupid you people are.

June 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. anne82958

Why is the media so obsessed with this?
    So what if a guy sent his underwear photo on twitter?
    Who is harmed here?
    People are dying preventable deaths. Go cover their story.

June 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cythara

Another loud-mouthed hypocritical, lying Jew addicted to subversion, subterfuge and naked power. These are the jack asses who have screwed up this country and they know no shame. Americans need to stop voting Jews into office...then we can get our country back to normal.

June 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • markus

Ahhh, the real problem revealed. Thanks.

June 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shay

So wat evryone send pixs to ppl. Isn't it somethn else important we shld b worryn abo

June 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hmm

And so once again the American public will take it up the rear end and smile while the pols do whatever they want without consequences. Time to scrap the US government and go back to living in city-states....

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. markus

democrat, republican, independent...we need to get this type of idiot out of our government.

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. USA#1

He's speaking now and so so sorry for everything and he accepts responsibility. What a crock of 5hit! He said he won't resign but he needs too. He's a LOSER!!

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Linda

Actually I hate those things on dating/mating/tweeting sites; I delete them, I am just being facetious. However, since I did not receive it first hand- it still looks like a healthy specimen to me.

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. suesark

Ah! So he admitted this is his chest! WOW! Surely this is against the law? This shameful lewdness!!! A man showing a bare chest. It's a crime against humanity

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. equality

I LOVE IT. watching the press conference. DO BELIEVE IT NOW??????

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |