Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Jennifer

Gee, when a Republican sent a shirtless photo of himself to ONE woman, there were calls for his head, and he had to immediately resign.

Now that it's a Democrat who has done far worse...liberals just want to forget the whole thing and move on.

That's not hypocrisy.

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • comm0nsense

Better to reply than post ... CNN, you need to reverse your sort order:

What is so incredible is that this guy thought he can lie ... i mean what century does he thinks he lives in. Get a clue ... if this guy can't anticipate this inevitable outcome, how can he be trusted to make any kind of judgment on behalf of the nation.

I don't much care for what he did (unless he is praying on underages or abusing power). But to just come out and lie ... my god!

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Wait, what liberals are wanting to forget about it? It was the Dems asking him to sort it out at the end of last week.

June 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I agree it is hypocrisy. But I thought Lee (the GOP shortless dude) should have been cut some slack for his personal dating habits, myself. And I think Weiner should receive the same slack. But America is a country FULL of private perverts who are public scolds. I guess it's how we cope with our guilt.

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • momomiester

Outside he is a perv. What bugs me the most is his lack of judgement. How can someone of that position be so dumb as to send photos that can be used against him? This shows you this guy is a wiesel and a loser. He doesn't have the mental state to govern. I can imagine him sending state secrets to terrorist fronting as some young nubile chickee.

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • coolair1

Well, just be patient, he will soon resign.

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynn, Buffalo

I agree...Chris Lee resigned for less....BUT! He's a democrat soooo I guess it's ok.

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erik

Both parties' men's actions are wrong. They got caught doing stupid, personal things millions of people have done. Give it a rest and quit being so judgemental. None of them claim to be 100% pure and to expect otherwise is ludicrous. They aren't slaves to the public. They do and should have personal lives whether we agree with exactly what that or not. It's not illegal.

June 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

It's not democrat vs republican. Larry Craig never resigned ( Republican). Governor Stanford didnt resign (Republican). They are the same on both sides. It's arrogance. NOthing more nothing less.

June 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed, Harrisville, RI

I'm a moderately liberal and I don't want to forget or forgive. How stupid are these people that do this kind of thing? Obviously they're very stupid, too stupid to hold a political office if they think they can or should be able to get away with this sort of behavior.

June 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • eric

Agree. He should resign...for the mere fact he thought he could lie his way out of this. He is untrustworthy.

June 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • lili

There are two different standards.

A conservative sends ONE photo of him without a shirt, and he resigns the next day

A democrat sends multiple graphic images of himself to numerous young women
      A pervert that has been caught in his lies and refuses to resign YOU DEMOCrATS YOU R NOT ABOVE THE LAW

and he is still in office,RESIGN NOW

June 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lurker

Doesn't matter if it's a Republican or Democrat. Guess what, they're both men, and they're both humans. They both made the mistake . They can both resign and that's fine if they admit to infidelity or indecent acts. No one's perfect in the world("Let he who has no sin cast the first stone?") but obviously most people expect elected officials to be more focused on the issues they were elected to tend to. What anyone does on their own time is their business, especially if it's personal relations. Of course when that person does it after marriage, then you'd better be prepared to take the heat. Don't make it a partisan argument; all sides are hypocrites.

June 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smokinbettycrocker

NO, THERE'S A DIFFERENCE! Its harder for Republicans when they screw up because they self-proclaim
      being good little "Christians".

June 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cythara

I get to say it first!

This news conference is a real 'Weenie Roast'!

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sir yoyo

congrats

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kjvb28

He should have owned it, along time ago. As a man you cant be ashamed of your weiner!

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dennish

Imagine that a lying liberal! Shocking! No one can trust a single thing this guy says from now on. Not only did he lie about it, but he knowingly blamed someone else for hacking his computer-he is a disgrace

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Republicans = Nazis

Yeah, it's a lot worst than what any republican would ever do. Right wingers never lie and they know everything.

June 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pedro diaz

WHAT A WEINER!!!

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Watcher

Yeah, he's another stupid politician who is so full of himself that he forgot who he represents. If this were a democrat only problem, I would be reticent to support any of them. It is not, it is a general problem with people in powerful positions. I would like to see him resign immediately after his apology. It sort of reminds me of ole Larry Craig's debacle. These clowns just don't get it.

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. comm0nsense

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. assassannihilator

So the original picture was probably tweeted with a stolen password–­when do James O'Keefe and Andrew Breitbart go to prison for cyberterro­rism and underminin­g democracy? That is where the crime was committed-­-when a congressma­n had his personal life infiltrate­d by right-wing conspirato­rs.

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • glyder

yes hillary.

June 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really

Are you serious. There were no right wing conspirators around when he was sending these raunchy pics. Andrew Breitbart was provided the tip he did not go out searching for it. He let the cat out of the bag when he was accused of being the hacker. Weiner lied and covered it up. End of story.

June 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hattereno

Is that a picture of Bill Clinton in the background?

June 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sam Houston

Big wonder the world is in the state it's in.

June 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • brandon

yeah cause this is all thats wrong in the world. if guys weren't doing these kind of things this world would be soooo much better.

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sarah

If this guy is dumb enough to his private parts on the internet after all the trouble others have gotten into,then he deserves to have a lame job,like politics

June 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. krg

I was more shocked when Elton John came out of the closet.

June 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cedar Rapids

Wow now theres a shocker, lol.
    I think everyone knew he did it as soon as he refused to answer whether it was himi n the picture to start with. What an idiot.
    Personally Im amazed that he apparently managed to get away with doing it several times before.

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lynn

Like all the rest, he's only apologizing because he got caught. Democrat or Republican, there have been plenty on both sides of the aisle just like him. We are such Puritans to care. It just gives the media something to become hysterical about.

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Annie Pereau

Weiner is a flawed man. I congratulate him on taking the bull by the horns and being painfully honest about this incident. His pain and humiliation filled me with pity. There but for the grace of God go you or I. We are all flawed and I can tell you that for every finger pointing at him, barking questions in a rude manner, there are many more pointing back at each person in that room. Not one reporter in that room, not one person in America is without some dirty secret. Forgive the man, he has done well today. I wish him and his wife peace and I am so sorry that the American public is so bloodthirsty.

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • glyder

unless its a republican or tea party member right?

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |