Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Connie Ragle

The same old, same old: "I never intentionally tried to hurt anyone!" Does he not have a brain and know that when he cheated on his wife - emotionally or physically - that it would hurt her? The truth will always come out and using that excuse is worthless. He is a total weiner and people need to oust him from office. He has no integrity and lied. He lied. He might have confessed now but it was only because he was in a position where he had to tell the truth. What is wrong with these guys????? Instead of sending pics and having chit-chat on line, do some work!!!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dice

Who cares– he is a LIAR and should resign/be fired! This guy is a bum and a fink. Liberals should even recognize it.

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Zeiss

Wiener learned something very important today .. you can lie to your wife, people you serve, even Nancy...you can spew any kind of BS you want and smear Republicans any way you feel and know how, but what you don't do is lie to CNN... And as far as resigning, are you kidding me, this is a bedge of honor when it comes to democratsm he'l be running for higher office soon...

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • sambo

Weiner is what bottom feeders feed on

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Honestly..

Well...at least he looks decent with the face out of the picture of course. 🙂

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rlcommenter

So let's understand that a man sending a photo to an interested party on Craigslist requires him to leave office.. But Weiner, sending photos to an unsuspecting young lady, an innocent girl who he is (I don't know – stalking) and no one is calling for his head... You liberals are a funny lot...

June 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Why do you think no one is calling for his head? I personally think he should go. Not mainly for sending this picture but for all the lies and BS afterwards.

June 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the Laughing Prospector

Ha ha ha...burp...ha ha ha...burp...ha ha ha...burp...

June 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mdb01

unbelievable. Lied and is saying that he is not resigning. I hope the call is too great. Also let's see how long before the newsmedia does its job and find his afairs.

June 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DNadeau

This guy is creepy dirt bag, perfect for Governor!

June 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sambo

OF ILLINOIS

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CHall Hawkeye

WHAT? A preening, narcissistic d0uc#ebag in Congress? Say it ain't so!

June 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ken

I really don't care that he did it. Does anyone have any idea how many millions of people do that every day? I think it is BS that he lied about it first though. But hey.....if I had that chest, I would be tweeting it all over the place.

June 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. excitizen

JIM says: "No wonder the GOP is after him; He's physically fit, and he likes women. Well, he's got my vote."

LMAO – love this post Jim!!!! LOL

June 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JC Reye

Come On CNN!!!.... I saw this pic on the TMZ site and you have edited this picture. TMZ clearly shows the mouth, the nose and you can clearly see the entire pictures of his family behind his right shoulder..... Why are you editing the pic??

June 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. df power

Can anyone keep their " wiener" in their pants anymore?

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Aces

So are all the liberals who disparaged Breitbart the last several days going to now comes correct?

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter E

We have people dying in wars, we have a disaster along the Mississippi, the Bush recession continues and yet the media thinks THIS should be top news?

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. eryk86

When I read this, I just started laughing really hard. That was my only reaction

June 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |