Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. john

Lying to the public is worse than sending these pictures. Is he married? He sent the first pic to a college aged girl. He needs to step down or be removed immediately.

June 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brian

Shocker. NOT! Dude should be proud of what nature has given him!

June 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. el burro

he needs to go. Tom Lykes is right. they want power and then abuse

June 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Move to Canada

OMG... All of our politicians are too dumb for living. At what point do they all decide that they are above scrutiny? And fine, if you wanna surf FB and Twitter, great... why get married last year???????

June 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Abudu Rahman

His wife, Huma M. Abedin, will probably try to revert back to being a good Muslim after this.

June 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Just_A_Teacher

I am the fool who believed him when he said he was hacked. As a liberal democrat, I am ashamed of him representing my political party and want him to resign. Can't we find men who aren't such sleezeballs and idiots. I say men because I don't hear this stuff from most of the women. Maybe we should have an all female government (and I am a man).

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

I am a centrist but I believed him initially too. Appauling behavior...sent to college girls. Remove him immediately.

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

You don't 'hear' about the women because there are so few in office. This isn’t a discrimination issue, simple put very few women are interested in holding office (however much they might cluck about what a better job they could do). You hear about a few of these ‘scandals’ every year. And how many men hold office around the country?

A parting thought… how many of those 6 women do you figure are single?

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mbal

Who cares. As long as he's doing the job he's supposed to be doing and doing it well, he can do whatever he wants in his free time as long as it's legal. How he handles his family affairs as a result of this is no concern of the media or general public.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gigi

Who cares?? He's a friggin liar! He needs to go.

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

But it is. When you place yourself in a position of power, you assume some level of scrutiny over your private life. Officials know this going in. Lying about it is the big issue here – he was scared of the reaction from the public and decided to lie. That says a lot about him.

For the record, I'm pretty liberal, and prior to this, I liked the representative a lot. But he seems to have fallen to the same curse that so many high-level figures in our society do – they forget they are in a fishbowl.

June 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Agreed Mbal.

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks there is even a single 'non-lying' politician in existence.

Personally I don’t care if he lied about what he did on facebook or twitter. As long as it’s not illegal or effecting his job. And while I’m up on my soap box.. employers / schools should stay the hell off FB/Twitter. ( and no I have never tweeted and do not have a facebook acct.

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sam light

this guy should be thrown out... take the high road and follow the other NY sleeze bag,

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nelle

I have seen this guy lose it ranting and screaming on the House floor. But this is a disgrace. He should be removed from the office. He is clearly unbalanaced, and should also be prosecuted by FBI for lying to begin with. He was hacked... what a liar. He sent a picture of his crotch people on the internet!

Why do we allow liberals to do whatever they want!!!

Sickening... if this were Sarah Palin or any other member of the opposite political party – the fangs would be out, and it would be covered by every magazine in the country...Double standard. How corupt.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Was he under oath? Lying is not a crime.

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. California Conservative

Ther are more pictures out there. Why not show them all CNN?

To you people sticking up for this low life piece of _ _ _ _ we told you so. Of course just like Weiner I dont' expect them to stand up and admit they were wrong.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Conor McCartney

Who cares.. I mean. I'm a republican.
    But I think that this should be a story for one day in the media, and then move on to important things. 10% un-employment, three wars. a long term debt crisis that only paul ryan and rand paul have offered any solutions to.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Paul N Destin

What a fu**ing hypocrite is Weiner. He and Chuckie make a great pair for New York.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Stan Johnson

What's so great about this is how the lefty news organizations (CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS) completely ignored this story and they were then schooled in what journalism really looks like, thank you Andrew Breitbart.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

Some news organizations were giving him a pass initially trying to make it more about twitter without doing their own investigative work...irresponsible.

June 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ryan

LOL Owned. What a tool. I am glad he is staying, that means Democrats lose their right to speak about morality.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barack Mugabe

How do all the knuckleheaded sheep who pretended to believe Weiner and blame Breitbart feel now?

Like the hapless, clueless lemmings you are.

June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • DTB

Wow you're an idiot.
      Seriously, you're stupid.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

Well, atleast we're not dumb enough to think Obama is not American

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

I mean, to be fair, Breitbart doesn't have the best track record.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |