Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. David S.

I'm still not understanding the severity of the situation. Morally, certainly...but legally?

What was the actual crime that was committed?

Anyone?

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Martin WIntle

Those comfortable with politicians lying to the public get in their politicians what they deserve.

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • disgusted

Weiners credibility is 100% shot. He is a Liar, lied to your face and mine. How can we believe anything he says on the floor now????

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JK Ashburn, V

You are correct, there was no crime (assuming none of the recipients were minors). Where he came very close was alleging that he was hacked. Had he actually filed a complaint about hacking with law enforcement, then HE would have been committing a crime. He knew it and that is why he responded to questions in such an absurd way last week.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Hey David, the man lied to his voters, the media, his wife and blammed this on a right wing conspiracy hack job (Remember Clinton). Are you kidding me. This man can no longer be trusted in this position of power. How stupid can you be. The man is not qualified just because he is the most arrogant, egotistical and most of all just being plain stupid.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • dwb1957

No crime, you smug, smarmy numbknuckles. He's just an a$$h0le. If you don't agree with that, you are too.

June 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • SSDDohyes

What crime did Foley or Craig commit? Oh .. that's right .. they were Repulicans .. got it.

June 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

you don't have to commit a crime to abuse the public trust. These people are SUPPOSED to be representatives of the US citizenry. It's like if you own a company called "Acme Widgets" and an employee wore an "Acme Widget" shirt to a bar & proceeded to get all drunk & beligerent & screaming profanities to the point that he was escorted from the bar. He may not have committed a crime per say, but would you want him as a representative of Acme Widgets (if so, then nothing anyone says can make you any smarter).

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo_geek

There was no crime committed. I'm sure someone will make some claim that he did this at work, or used a work-issued Blackberry. But who hasn't sent photos of their junk from their work-issued device? I mean that's how I spend half the day at my office, between that and surfing for p_orn.

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo_geek

Since when is lying a crime? If so, half of Washington DC would be in jail....

June 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Speakfreely

The problem YOU don't see is that he holds an elected position. And that lying to the faces of people who elected him and to others is WRONG. He made comments that could be considered illegal. Fraudulant statements are serious. He is in a position of helping make LAWS in this country, a position of power...that require integrity (doing the right thing when nobody is looking). His wife can't trust him and as a voter I can't either after this. Lying male politicians – what's wrong people!

June 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. G D

No one likes a lying-Weiner...

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matt

I think he got tired of all the media scrutiny... or as they were calling it, a "Weiner Roast"! *rim shot*

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • gb0423

good one!

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo_geek

Put a fork in that one, it's done....

June 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. maljazur

Okay, I knew he was likely guilty of sending the picture in the first place. So, I'm glad he's come clean about it. But these rabid reporters who act as if they've been raised in a freaking petrie dish have my jaw on the floor!! Did the man say he tied a toddler up with black leather and engage in S&M??? Or did he foolishly do what so many Americans do EVERYDAY? Flirt online! It's not advisable, but it's far from the high crime it is being made to seem. I would have totally understood him coming out and saying, "I did it. Leave me the f alone while I deal with my wife, a- holes!!" Ugh!! Breitbart has a special little throne in hell waiting on him.

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ururrrr

I hadn't heard that he did that to a toddler. What an creep!

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • TonyEEEE

So, I assume this rationale goes to the other side of the aisle and Chris Lee should NOT have resigned?

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

you're blaming Breitbart? wow, talk about shooting the messenger!! The point is, BOTH sides are professional liars – and if they do something that loses the public trust, they SHOULD resign!! Whether it was the supposed "family values" conservative who was caught playing touchy-feely in an airport bathroom stall, to Charlie Rangel & his abuses of tax laws, to Barney Frank & his conflict of interest via Fannie Mae & his "boyfriend" – to this guy who sends out risque pics of himself. They should ALL be forced to resign.

But noooooo, people (mostly libbies) think these ELECTED PUBLIC SERVANTS are kings, and should be treated as royalty. They work for US, not the other way around!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • SSDDohyes

yeah, Breitbart should "burn in hell" for telling the truth, but let's ignore the lies Wiener told and his actions. Typical liberal.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Charles Queen

What a total waste of reporting.Who really gives a damned about a picture hwoing a bare chest??I would think our news media would be able to find much more important things to write about instead of nonsense such as this

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

He wishes it had only been his chest.

June 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • SSDDohyes

I'll just bet you wanted Foley's head on a plate when he sent inappropriate emails. But, since this is a Democrat, let's move on, right?

June 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

% guys are dead in Iraq, and these idiots are worry about another idiot's picture.. The American way I guess...

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I think the "BIG" issue is the penis pic.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. steve

Par for the course for ALL of our elected officials in DC and running this country. Repub or Dem......people realize, these jack asses are NOT geniuses. The louder they thump their bibles and family values this and family values that, the more suspect they become.

Get back to creating jobs and ending the wars and bringing home the troops.....and reducing the military by over 50%.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • HMND

I totally agree with you Steve. Point well made.

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Priori

Weiners never quit. Even when they should.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SupportAZ

The man lied, he isn't the first and won't be the last. How about dealing with the important issues facing us? Give this a rest and let the people in NY deal with it.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • SSDDohyes

Would u be so forgiving if this had been a Republican? I think not. But, I agree .. there are more important issues. However, this man should resign, bottom line!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • SupportAZ

Since I am a Republican, I would say "Yes"

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ururrrr

His wife is hot. I'd like her with Sarah Palin in 3some so we could iron out our political differences! 😉

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SSDDohyes

The man should have resigned. The arrogance is typical of politicians. Had this been a Repulican (Craig and Foley come to mind), he would have no choice. But, because he is a Democrat, the main stream media will accept his mia-culpa will be accepted and the rest of us will be told to just move on. Politicians make me sick .. both Democrats and Republicans!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo_geek

Why should he resign? He had a private exchange of information with someone else, somebody snooped on him and made it public. If he were a rethuglican the only difference is he would have appeared alongside his wife and talked about asking Jesus for forgiveness.

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ice breaker

This is so disgraceful and inappropriate. I hope he leaves ASAP and quietly to join the company of several disgraced others whom we mistakenly elected as our leaders. We do not care to hear his explanations or justifications which are based on all lies. He has lost our trust. Hope he goes away and the media can focus on something important to our country. American people by nature have been very patient, charitable and kind to such behavior from our leaders (almost to a fault). He does not deserve any forgiveness but if he hopes to earn even a little from us, he can start by quitting asap. He lied. He should leave.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mike

You f$#k up when you let the little head do all the thinking.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. disgusted

Nice cropping CNN, Weiner MUST STEP DOWN! LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bill Carson

If I was a politician I'd want to be a Dem. You'd have the full MSM to protect you and look the other way when you screwed up. The NYT would be all over any Republican who sent out lewd photos but gives Weiner a pass on this trash.

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • SSDDohyes

Totally agree!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kevin D

Weiner for President!

June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Ptak

What's wrong with the dog we have now?

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |