Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Disemvowel

This country needs a culling. A very serious, Founding Fathers-style culling. Every politician is useless.

• MotoJB

AGREED – it's pathetic these people act this way while sitting in congressional seats.

June 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. steve

Hold the mustard.

Move on to more important matters than this.....what about jobs for the middle class.

Don't the Republican perverts have enough to do to clean up their own FAMILY at the C Street palace of disrepute that's managed by good ole David Coe!!!!!

3. Barack Mugabe

And the same perverted sheep who gleefully cheered on the dumpster diving in Alaska during the 2008 campaign will now claim Weiner's grotesque behavior doesn't matter.

4. Billy

What a Weiner.

5. Harry

He's a grown man? How does he not have any hair on his chest? Weird

• Joe Ptak

Because he is a liberal/progressive/socialist...bet he doesn't have a "pair" either.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Julian

At least he was acting like a fool on his twitter account and not in a public bathroom at the airport...

• yahoo

Or in the oval office with a cigar...lol

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gsmith

I am a liberal democrat....As much as it pains me...he lied...trust violated...he should resign...

• Joe Ptak

Sorry it pains you...you want a cookie?

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Buccakenji

this soundoff system is so phocking lame. postings are in ascending date/time order so I have to go thru 23 pages of comments to see if anyone replied to my post. phocking morons wrote this system. talk about stupid.....

9. Anthony L.

Did he break any laws? Was the girl underage? Has his lack of judgement in his personal life ever directly affected his work for the Government? If the answer is no, then he shouldn't be forced to resign. If you don't want to vote for him based on his personal choices that on you in the next election cycle.

But if I cheated on my wife I wouldn't be fired from my job....you know why? Because it has no direct affect on how good I do my job. It's stupid, just plain ignorant that people seem to think that once a human being is elected to office they stop being human and are suppose to be this infallible bastion of integrity, and when they mess up we are SHOCKED! My GOD! How could that flawed human being do something so flawed?!?

If he did something illegal then fire him, if not, stuff like this should be left between his wife and himself. I'm pretty sure he never once made a campaign promise to be faithful to his wife. If you vote expecting perfection, then stop voting.

• Ed

If you want a Congressman that has no morals, will lie until he can't anymore, doesn't give a damn about his marriage, thinks saying sorry fixes anything, and is a total piece of garbage – good for you. Sad that their are enough mindless Democrats like yourself to probably re-elect thiss piece of trash.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • yahoo

Exactly ED!!! obviously Anthony L. is to worried right now about saving face...Well here's a face for you 🙂

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gordon

Isn't it wrong to be a person in his position to hold a press conference stating over and over again a blatant lie while on the job that he was hacked? He should resign!
    What are the morals of this country coming to? We are becoming a joke around the world with Senators and Reps acting like idiots.

11. Randall Flagg

Ladies and Gentlemen, your "Family Values" party strikes again.

• Ralphie

Like either party has a monopoly on kooks or family values.

June 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. California Conservative

Weiner should resing. This incident shows not only his lack of character but also a lack of ehtics and morals.

Send him to the ethics committee.

• yahoo

What sould he re-sing..."another one bites the dust"

June 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ed

Why should he resign. The Democrats would elect Jack the Ripper if he said he was "sorry". I don't know who is the bigger fool – Weiner or the Democrats.

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cole

Wow, I thought this was some right wing conspiracy? You are a waste and should be ashamed.

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Big Weiner

Bye bye to your aspirations to be NYC mayor.

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |