Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Dill

Hmm... and you wonder why people trust politicians even less these days–Democrat or Republican? Here's a politician that denied sending the lewd photos, claimed that someone hacked into his online account, and then said he had hired a private security firm to do their own investigation. Have any of these politicians read the story about "Chicken Little"? Who is going to believe them when they really are speaking the truth? #disgustedbylyingpoliticians

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You are exactly right.... we need to wake up as a nation and see that most politicians are blowing smoke up our rears and start calling them out on it. I'm tired of the blame games of both sides and really would love to see some true leadership in Washington. Right now all we have is a bunch of teenage drama queens.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frost

Any guy that sends pix to a chick, and get them in return, in alright with me.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. open400

Bush and Cheney lead the country into an unnecessary war killing thousands of Iraqis and Americans also spending trillions of dollars, running huge budget deficits, torturing people and borrowing from China(helping make them a Super Power). Cheney and Bush live into smiling old age and we hound some guy that sent out some stupid pictures out on the internet(first one that has not done something stupid on the internet, cast the first stone).

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • abo42000

Give me a break. If Weiner was Republican, you would be singing a different tune.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Do you always point at the guy who had your job before you when something goes wrong? My boss would fire me for not coming to him with blame and excuses rather than solutions...............

June 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

axe the not..........

June 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Greg

I claim to be an independant but this is just too funny. Please tell me I'm asleep and dreaming......First we have Nancy Pelosi saying we need to pass bills to see what's in them, an Attorney General making assumptions about an eleven page bill he hasn't read, a president playing class warfare and now this........... Maybe I'm more center right than I thought............

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Terry

If he'd come clean at the outset it would not be a story. The fact that he lied, and continued to lie repeatedly and publicly for over a month removes any faith I might have in him to ever speak truthfully. We all make mistakes, but we should own up to them, not try to cover them up.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

The cover up is almost always worse than the crime..............

June 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PburgSteve

I wonder if this guy is friends with Casey Anthony.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Robert

Weiner should quit. We have over 300 million people in US and he is one of only 435 representatives. Certainly we can get better representation. Can't believe this idiot has only been married a year. This kind of arrogrance has come accross in several of his interviews; finally someone caught him with his pants down; OH, he did it to himself- what arrogance.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sum Ting Wong

He is trash, but he is a liberal after all.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

Weiner should resign today. The members of the U.S. Congress must have standards of decency. Weiner has exhibited lewd behavior and therefore must go. It does not matter your politics he must go as he is a disgrace.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marge

Well gee whiz that' not as bad as being in a diaper...didn't VITTER RUN AND GET RE-ELECTED. I sure wish annoymus or what ever they call them selves go after Breitbart and get his butt arrested and jailed and go bankrupt. . Or are they afraid of republicans also. I am calling on annon to do something useful.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

BOO HOO YOU BIG BABY!

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karen

I'm so sick of all this garbage! It would be so nice if we could elect some actual grown-ups to represent us. These guys are all just big jokes! Immature, unreliable, and ridiculous!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Phil

It's time for the media, INCLUDING CNN, to start questioning our government and demand answers from this administration. BECOME REAL REPORTERS AGAIN!

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. james

I'm not going to lie.the pic was a little bit over the top. But if it was an accident then let it go.. Like u never did some low dirty little thing b4 we all have. But come on that was the best lie u could come up with... Lol

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. StoptheSoundBites

the fact that so many on here are saying "what's the big deal" is scaring the h*ll out of me. I don't give a rat's *ss what he sent over twitter, but lying about it for a week just shows how little scruples any of these pols have.

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ..a thought

exactly! it's the LYING that puts him in the I CANNOT be trusted. surely he knew.....

June 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |