Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. ..a thought

1st *up: to digitally put out private parts
    2nd * up: to tweet, or upload in any way
    3rd objects are *intended* to be larger than are

Then to LIE about it. Am a Dem, and think you should resign for lying over and over again....not to mention that dinkie.

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Susan

I'm sick of this stuff! Who are these reporters to tell us what is "lewd"? Men's bodies are 'lewd' women's bodies are made to be exploited. Lewd may have been a Miley Cyrus nude photo because she was 16!!! But not a man in his underwear. Please show me that CNN does not employ an entire staff of idiots who have no clue what journalism is about! Good Lord!

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ..a thought

I'm just thinking about a CONGRESSPERSON's thought process. If he didn't know better than that, then what does that say?

June 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. erich2112x

Like we didn't already know. You have to resign, we're sweeping the porch here and that means you.

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. javier

his only crime is that he's an idiot, this has been toooo funny of a situation HAHAHAHA

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner , his Weiner got him trouble. His career is over, he lied made a big deal of it, news agencies spent money following him around and they are not going to take it lightly. His weiner is on a bun, mustard or ketcup.

June 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ..a thought

whatever condiments needed for enhancement...

June 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. danieljsf

Sad that he lied, but I fail to see what crime was committed. He's not one of those hypocritical right-wing crusaders who demand morality for everyone but themselves.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Just Me

All I have to say about this is nice chest congressman Weiner! Now, can we move on to more important things. We all lie about something in one form or the other.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brenda

Ever notice how you never hear of female politicians doing things like this?

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steama

I am sick of these phony weak politicians. I could careless if he was horsing around on Twitter but since he LIED about it he must RESIGN!

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Keyser

Are people morons? Yes. And what is with men shaving their chest?

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tony

So what, a politician lied. That is a primary attribute of any politician. I think a better story would be checking to see if all those barrels of oil that are stored for an emergency are really there. Then we will have a great show of lying politicians.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. James

Weiner... Your TYPICAL democRAT.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Melvina Wreiole

He really makes my skin crawl

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. boyamidumb

A liar is the worst kind of thief. It seems that our political "leaders" start practicing their lies early to be as good as they are at it. Right Arnold. It seems that Weiner thought he was Arnold the body builder, and Arnold thought about nothing but his Weiner. Kind of a weird balance there if you don't think about it.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. IceT

Seriously, what the hell is the matter with these people (politicians)?!!
    I mean I understand falling victim to a power trip but where did their common sense go! I guess power just corrupts.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |