Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Vic

Its brainless slobs like Don that have this country down in the dumps.

June 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tomcom

Funny, the careers of politicians can be a short one. Ethics and moral values always bring them to thier knees.

June 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cj

He will admit the photos are his and were a private matter etc etc etc ......I am ready to let Weiner keep his under wraps and get on with important issues!

June 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jdalco

plane and simple. If he got hacked then get the cops invovled and go after the person that did it. SInce he has not done that I have to assume he knows he is the one that sent it. Personally I don't care but if he is dumb enough to do this do you really want to keep him in office??

June 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. davey

close you eyes, click your heels together and say mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm barack hussein obama, 3 times and eveything will be alright.

June 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. James

He definitely did it. Liberals are always involved in the worst of scandals. Say no to liberalism. Say no to weiner. I say deport him and everyone who protects him to North Korea, and we will see how well you disgusting liberals pull off scandals while having the NKA breathing down your necks.

June 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • brownstain

Please take your meds. NOW!

June 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd

If you are certain he did it, then you must have proof. Please show it at the press conference.

June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Deport all liberals, let North Korea do anything they want with you liberals for no less than a year. Then when you come back on your knees asking for forgiveness, you will be forgiven, and our Country will be great again, however you will never be allowed to voice your opinions again; for liberalism is defined as a mental disorder, and the opinions you spew do not matter to any free thinker.

June 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

James, you are a seriously disturbed individual. I suggest you seek psychiatric help, before you injure yourself or someone else.

June 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Move to Canada

At least the Lib went for women... one up on the Repubs. Just saying.

June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dr.James

I hear there are these places called "beaches" where bare-chested men often walk around in public.

June 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lando

Non sequiter Doctor. A man walking around with his shirt off at the beach is in NO WAY the same thing as a US Congressperson, sitting in his office half naked, taking pictures of himself with his phone, and then sending them out (including a pic of his junk covered by only his underwear), to young women (who aren't his wife) via twitter and facebook. Are you a doctor like a real doctor, or are you a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor? I'm guessing the later.

June 6, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mythrax

1) Who cares?
    2) What happened to peoples private lives being kept private?

June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • davey

ask john edwards.

June 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lando

NEWSFLASH.... Twitter is NOT private. Get a clue.

June 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. brownstain

Hold the bullhorn up to your zipper.

June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. OaktonT

Anyone who's seen him speak on the House floor could tell that he has significant issues.

June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. michael

What a stupid comment. Did the Republicans force Weiner to do these things, you idiot?

June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Charlie

Who gives a damn. Most of them are probably doing the same thing. Last time we had a president getting hummers in the Oval Office there was no war in Iraq and there was a budget surplus. maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

June 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • yahoo

no charlie your right...It's not such a bad thing to lie to your family and wife and the rest of the country. After all Clinton did it and he's your super hero now isn't he. Great job on denial...keep up the good work you make it easy for us for regain control 🙂

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ph.D. from M.I.T.

So yahoo you'd rather have a president that lied to the American people and destroyed the economy (Bush) than one that keeps the country out of war and creates a budget surplus but lies to his family (Clinton)? Not to mention that Bush brought shame to the country by having us commit war crimes. In my opinion that is MUCH worse for our country than having had an affair. Having an affair is between him and his wife and family. Having the US commit war crimes puts all of us – especially our troops – in grave danger.

June 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rabbi David

Ahhhhhha,ha,ha! I love this! CNN went so far out of its way to defend this dip stick I wanted to hurl. The guy is one messed up dude,but then Americans forgive everything.Maybe they will hire him just like Spitzer.HOLD IT!! I'm a Rabbi, there is NO future in this career choice-I want to make REAL money! Hey CNN let me twitter away some creepy pics and hire ME like you did Spitzer and next Wiener boy. This is truly a country of NUTZ.And the strange thing is America puts up with being led to the slaughter by mental defectives,perverts and a guy in charge of the whole place who truth be told,could not manage a Wal Mart in real life.

June 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • spektrum

Somebody, hire this man!

June 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yahoo

WOW...this is amazing. Usually repubicans are always getting slammed in blogs/comments....they're pretty quite now....I'm just sayin' 🙂

June 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. smokey

"OMFG what are we going to do about this economy.... quick Weiner show 'em your wiener!" -congress

June 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |