Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. rick

To anyone who doesn't think this is a problem:

Hacking is a federal crime. Falesly reporting a crime is a crime too. Weiner said on multiple occassions that his account had been "hacked". He knew when he said it he was lying and committing a crime. But, that was no problem for him.

Still think he deserves to stay in Congress?

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

How is this different from the swimsuit shots of President Obama or the abs show of that young Republican congressman, Aaron somebody?
    In an obese America, we need more, not less, bod shots to inspire our young people to get in shape.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

ummm, let's see. Those pictures weren't from a lying criminal like Weiner.

"My account was hacked" lie, falesly reporting a crime (a crime in and of itself).

June 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RobertFTL

No crime has been committed. He made a personal mistake and it should be up to him and his wife. The religious zealots need to calm down and focus on the real problems our nation faces.

June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

BS – you surely don't really believe that?

falesly reporting a crime is a crime.

June 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bindiboi

Oh no! A politician showed his pecs! Stone him now!

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. weeddigger

I'm a democrat. I think Rep. Weiner should resign. We need trustworthy people in government. What a disappointment!

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Carol

This is getting to be almost a daily event. Grown men who are supposed to be our leaders yet have no moral ethics. I just want to know 'WHAT ARE THEY THINKING and do they care that their behavior has an impact on our next generation. I am thinking morals have gone out the window. Our education system and families need to focus more on morals, ethics and common sense, otherwise all the college and education won't help our society! No more it takes a village! IT TAKES COMMON SENSE!

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DJ

Atleast he didn't show his......WEINER!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Laurie

If I had that face, I'd only send pictures of my body too.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Connie Kallas

Stupid of him to use the internet, but many politicians have done a lot worse, in both parties. I'm sure there are many that are actually playing around that we'll never know about. I really don't care about the personal life of any politician, unless they commit a crime. Ditto for any well- known person. We have a lot more serious problems here and around the world that people , including the media, pay little attention to.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Hmmmmm... that sounds like the talking points from the DNC. Only problem is that your are also overlooking Weiners behavior once he was caught. He accused people of hacking his account, yelled and badgered reporters, called people names.... Do you see how this all adds up to POOR JUDGEMENT?!?! Americans DESERVE BETTER FROM THEIR REPRESENTATIVES!!! But I guess the DNC and democRATS will accept any behavior as long as he continues to be a Pelosi lapdog.

June 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. FX

I would like to believe that the Democratic leadership will purge this weasel from their ranks. Glenn Beck fans just got early birthday presents.

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. America's Guest

To: Ed, Harrisville, RI, I agree with you, he's too stupid to hold political office

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Abbbygirl

Is there any politician not lying about his infidelity ??

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • America's Guest

I hope. God Save the Queen!

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. anthony m

at least he has the guts to get up there

June 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • America's Guest

It's not "Guts" it's called a Psychopath

June 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James

In Weiner's own words... Nancy Pelosi "Loves him"... proof that DemocRATS don't care about personal responsibility! THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT CONTROL AND POWER. Weiner is a lapdog for Pelosi, so she doesn't care if Weiner sends pictures of his Weiner to little girls.

June 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • RobertFTL

You sound like a child fighting on school grounds. Grow up!

June 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RachaelA

All I can think about with this topic is those South of the Border Signs on I-95 that say "You never sausage a Weiner" and "Your Always a Weiner at Pedro's". He was dumb, got caught, lied and had to man up. The only bad part is about the lying to cover. He should resign cause if he will lie about this...what"s next?

June 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |