Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. eric

He is a liar. He cannot be trusted and should step down. And I am a democrat saying this. If cannot tolerate people like this running our country. If they will lie about the small stuff, they will definitely lie about the big stuff. His character is now in question and if we want to improve our government, we need to improve the people running it.

June 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • 210

agreed

June 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mayya

absolutely agree.. a democrat here as well - Weiner is the congressman in my district and is an embarassement and a liability.. he must step down.. this is beyond simple infidelity - its just plain creepy ... he might as well have been standing on a subway platform in a raincoat flashing women that passby .. what a shmuck

June 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Oldtimer

When the Republican Congressman sent a pic of his upper torso, the Democrats scurried to demand his resignation, which he did at his news conference. Why does this Democrat Congressman think he deserves to stay? Both were personal indiscretions, why not the same results? A double standard when it comes to liberal Democrats?

June 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Of course it is a double standard. The Republican didn't send naked pictures of his genitals; he didn't lie to reporters or blame ficticious hackers; the Republican didn't spread a weeks worth of lies before finally admitting (only after other pictures came out)... The difference between the Republican and the democRAT is that the Republican truly took responsibility for his actions (resigned and told the truth)... the democRAT cried a little, said he was sorry (after lying about everything else), and now will pretend like he did nothing wrong. He only cares about power and control... PERIOD.

June 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • 210

it does appear to be a double standard. and remember, the cover-up is always worse than the crime.

June 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

Of course, Weiner didn't put the picture up on purpose. The Republican congressman you are speaking of willingly posted his photo on Craigslist- which is far, far more stupid than what Weiner did, which was just a little technology flub.

June 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

If you look back at the past scandals involving Republicans, their response is typically to apologize and resign. With Democrats, their response is to almost always hang on to power for dear life.

Why the difference? Maybe Republicans tend to have a conscience? Democrats love power more than personal integrity? I don't know but it's certainly interesting.

June 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. IceT

I't's not the PICS so much as it's the LYING immediately about it. What kind of JUDGEMENT is that for someone making decisions at a national level?!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • 210

yea, we dont need more liars in office!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sambo

a weiner with egg on his face

June 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. frank

WEINER, SPITZER, RANGEL,PATERSON. FOUR ELECTED DEMOCRATES, THREE DOWN ONE TO GO.

June 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • 210

speaking of this, how did spitzer get his own CNN show? like, he was out of office for something BAD, and yet he gets rewarded with a talkshow. with a woman, no less.

June 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

No different than Gingrich, Guiliani, McCain, Foley and others who run on family values and morality.

June 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hdb

If the average elected official is not doing this or worse I would be very surprised. We're after Weiner with tar and pitchforks while white-collar criminals rob us blind and political leaders turn a blind eye to financial corruption and life-and-death military cover-ups. I don't think Weiner should resign because of this. We need to get some perspective!

June 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jenny sellers

sure weiner is such a prankster wow! He can throw that bone to another dog because obiously the lines he used has been used by cheating husbands before so I don't buy all his sob stories. Please not even my 5 year old so would lie that way, because he would man up and say the truth even if he got punished by it. So if you commit a stupid mistake so what man up weiner and say the truth . Is not like people are stupid. People have walked the same road before so get another sob story of hackers and how you are a victim because this one isn't working.

June 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

I WAS CHECKING MY E-MAIL... THEN THE POP UP CAME UP... AND THERE WERE THESE HORRIBLE PHOTOS OF THESE YOUNG WOMEN WITH THEIR CLOTHES OFF... HONEY... I SWEAR... I SWEAR IT WAS JUST A POP UP AND I MISCLICKED... HONEY I SWEAR!

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julie

Let's see, maybe Weiner can get his own talk show like Spitzer. I guess all you have to do is be a total idiot. What is it with these politicians? I've lost count how many "have lost their way". The only reason they confess is that they get caught, What really amazes me is the women they are married to. The only smart women are the ones who did not "stand by their man" which I believe was only two. Why is it that "men in power" have a need to be so sleazy?

June 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sam

I think its stupid, and you, or anyone can't blame him. He did what anyone would that situation. Bill Clinton did it too, does that make him a horrible leader? No. Its like your boss is cheating on his wife, you get a picture via phone from a friend and he's like, "This is from our boss," but he's running the company right, WHY would he resign, someone might say you're wrong for blah blah blah blah, but thats his personal life, just like everyone has a few skeletons in their closet.

June 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Lets see... he also lied, cheated on his wife, accused others of committing a crime... do you see a PATTERN OF BAD JUDGEMENT? When it reaches the point of being A PATTERN, you must question his ENTIRE JUDGEMENT PROCESS!!! He is a public official ENTRUSTED TO MAKE DECISIONS on behalf of the public!!! I don't care what a CEO or business man does, because he is making decisions ABOUT MY HEALTHCARE, TAXES, WAR, PEACE, etc...!!!! To try to separate personal judgement from PUBLIC TRUST just shows you are incapable of non-partisan thinking.

June 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kyle

Isn't it just fitting that some guy named Weiner sent lewd photos to someone? I'm sure he'll whine about getting lambasted by the public and then resign.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a politican who is immoral and just goes with it. So long as he is not violating any laws, why worry?

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. eric

He is still lying

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jimbob

In the live press conference did you hear the Fox News reporter at the end screaming out inappropriate questions? "In the underwear picture, is it fully -( or does it have the potential to get bigger?"

Truely Disgusting!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • 210

I agree, FOX always takes it one step to far and embarrases them selves. If they were just more "fair" about mocking both parties it would be a much better channel.

June 6, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CSnord

The picture and twitter post are not as bad as the lying afterward. The picture I've seen is, at worst, PG - nothing but a bump in some tighty-whities (alright, they're gray). But lying about it to the media to make it go away makes one question what else he would be willing to lie about.

So, the real question is: since he is a Democrat and, supposedly therefore, a champion of the people, does he get a pass? He shouldn't, but we'll see.

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Grace

NEEDS TO RESIGN!!! How can this jerk be trusted??? Really?????

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RAAK

How can you trust anyone with these morals?

June 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |