Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. Danny

I called the DNC and told them get this guy out! Were done as far as 2012 thanks to this guy! We need to do the right thing! SEND HIM HOME!

June 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo_geek

Riggggghtttt... now Sarah Palin will be president thanks to Weiner's tweets. I don't think Obama supporters will be flocking to a Palin/Romney ticket over Weinergate.

June 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naughty bits

Obama is doing well on his own! He is as good as gone in the 2012 election. Hows the gas prices doing out there?

June 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lurker

I think it's time some of these politicians take a class on "How not to be a dumb @ss on the internet". Why do people think that when they send indecent photos of themselves on sites like Twitter & Facebook that it WON'T get out to the public? It's not some magical machine that will keep everything 100% private when you want it to. You want to not be that dumb @ss on TV explaining your indecent photo to everyone? Guess what, don't do it. It's that simple. If it was some sort of hidden camera or something capturing a politician in their private lives in some private act then that's just invasion of privacy. In Weiner's case, this is just stupidity and political suicide.

June 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danny

No mercy. If you did this on your job what would happen? If your a congressman your on the job 24/7. This guy needs to go!

June 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. w7rkd

Weiner showing cell phone pics of his Weiner? Guess he figured if Babtist Ministers can get away with it then so could he too!

June 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. just another politician

LIAR LIAR LIAR

I would be fired from my job...do the honorable thing and step down you lying POS politician!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John King

Maybe some day he be an adult film star?

June 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

I'd watch.

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CrewMom

I could care less what our politicians do online during free time as long as children aren't involved. We are fighting two wars which seem to have no end in sight, unemployment is over 9%, housing prices have hit another low, little has been done to rein in Wall Street to prevent another financial collapse and THIS is what American media is focusing on??

June 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MaryAnn

What is up with thses cheating men? Weiner is a bum for sending these pics and making his wife look like a fool.

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. art

and dont forget a few of these stalwart thug republicans:

Tom Delay, David Vitter, Larry Craig, Ted Steven, Mike Duvall, Mark Sanford, John Ensign.

I could go on and on – but my fingers are getting numb

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barack Mugabe

You could go on, but then, you'd have to point out that most have resigned. Meanwhile, most Democrat crooks, perverts, rapists, klansmen, pimps, plagiarists and tax cheats get promoted.

Why don't you go on about that?

June 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wayne

This may be a new litmus test for politicians. Social media free speech litmus test. The Michelangelo David isn't vulgar or is it. But then again Mr. Congressman is no David. Lets not forget that we lemmings may lie to be polite and I believe it was polite to his family and wife to bend this truth.. If this is consensual its none of our business. Shouldn't be anything wrong with being a man. These were inappropriate for public view and none of our business.

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. thinksome

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said

Read that as, " I'm deeply regretting getting caught, and I'm still arrogant enough to think it doesn't matter"

June 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave in CA

@thinksome:
      "...and I'm still arrogant enough to think it doesn't matter"

because it really doesn't matter.

June 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stupid Is As Stupid Does

OK, Congressmen. Let's go over this again. If you plan to send jeopardizing pix of yourself through cyberspace, DON'T take them in an environment identifiable to you such as your office with familiar furniture & photos visible in the background. DUUUUHH!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Yip

I wanna see the photo he sent

June 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sj77

The only thing he's really sorry about is that he got caught.

June 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. malabika

What is wrong with all of you. Weiner lied but haven't we all lied at some point in our lives. A good congress man does not need to resign over such a stupid thing. We all make mistakes. A republican like Newt Gingrich who has had affiars and three marriages is running to be Americas next President and no one seems to be saying much about that.
    CNN don't you have somthing better to report on.

June 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nuclear Threat

Weiner resigning would require some class of which he obviously lacks tremendously. Typical politician, not many you can really trust

June 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |