Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. shndlyn

Sickened that my taxpayer money is being used to investigate this adulterer....investigate all taxpaying adulterers including those who WORK FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT....are you kidding me. I would expect this type of media attention from supermarket tabloids...but there are a number of cheaters in the senate and house of representatives...BigGovernment.com,should stop lowering its standards and leave the domestic, morally wrong (adultery) to the religious zealots.....WE ALL KNOW HUMANS LIE AND CHEAT SO WHAT....I NEED TO KNOW WHO HAS THE INTELLECTUAL SKILLS AND STRATEGY TO BRING AMERICAN OUT OF THIS ECONOMIC MESS!!!! REPORT ON THAT!!

June 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Game: Wheel of Fortune

C _ M E _ N B _ B _ L I G H T

M_ F I _ E !

_ E P W E I N E _

June 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. James M

What's never been clear to me: Did he commit a crime, or did he not? If not, then there's nothing to see here as far as I'm concerned. But if he broke a law or disobeyed a lawful order, my opinion changes dramatically.

June 6, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DBinNJ

How about 'integrity'? Oh, I forgot, Bill Clinton set that standard when he committed perjury.

Oh well, never mind.

June 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Andrew in San Francisco

Is it really so surprising that yet another Democratic Party loud-mouth is a lying crook? I mean the whole nature of their party is corruption, lies and manipulations!

June 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Really Andrew ?! Give me a break. You're the only "loud-mouth" here. Do the world a favor and learn how to make honest distinctions. Pretty sad that so many fought and died for you and you can so easily smear your fellow country-men

June 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • C Abate

Hey Dave -- stiffel yourself!

June 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • DBinNJ

Dave,

Those that died would probably have a different opinion about dying so that others can lie.

You should get down off the hobby horse you are riding.

June 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I'm not talking about people dying for those who lie...I'm talking about taking the lies of one man and generalizing them to attack the character of an entire political party. Im talking about civility and respecting the dignity of your political opponents. Too liberal of an idea for you?

June 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

So this behavior is restricted just to Democrats? My you live in an insulated world! Do the words Larry Craig, Tom Delay or Newt Gingrich ring a bell?

June 7, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Just wandering

What ever happen guys, corny as it sounds, to just pulling off the shirt and flex the biceps instead of going shock jock?

June 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mikey

Another piece of crap politician caught in a lie, it there anyone out there with integrity and morals anymore? I'm sure greed is just around the corner too! No wonder the US is in the position it is in now!

June 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. C Abate

V
    Are you for real, Republican plot. Yeah, if you believe that there is a bridge for sale in Florida with your name on it. Get a life!!

June 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tom in montana

again, a liar, a cheat, a raging liberal democrat. lies until he gets caught again, then he owns up to it. OH, and he is sorry. this is why we have a problem America! we need real, honest, hard working people that put their country first and themselves second. absolutely typical of what we are getting from the liberal democrats and many of the republicans as well. we are so F$#@ED. god help us

June 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DBinNJ

Solid A+ analysis!

June 6, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. micheline Lubin

you are a great of a congressman don't be stupid and don't resign.

June 6, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Agreed. He is an outstanding congressman. He screwed up...his personal life really isn't my business until he has comitted a crime IMO.

June 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Can We Get Real

We've lost both Democrat and Republican representatives, dedicated ones, over intimate errors of judgment. Know what? WE SHOULDN'T. Enough of this. We need dedicated, intelligent, capable public servants. Holding them to Pope standards is inane and damaging to us all.

He didn't send the pic(s) to a minor, to a reverend, or to a large group. As far as lying his about it, I don't blame him - IT'S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

Can we get real and grow up?

June 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim_FLA

Yes, and Papal history has been far from clean, yet remains strong, albeit not as strong as in the past.

June 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tom in montana

to can we get real,
    so you would lie too? you a democrat? this guy wants to take my wealth, and give it to those less deserving, voted for obamacare that takes away my rights as an individual, but he is not required to live under the same law he imposed on me and he uses government assets and our tax dollars to do this online crap, and YOU defend him...unbelievable. again we are screwed and part of the reason is people that think like you. and YES IT IS OUR BUSINESS, he did it while we were paying him. pope standard? what standards should we hold them too? honesty, i guess not. morality, i guess not. dedication, i guess not. this is the problem, we do not hold our reps to a high enough standard. they make the rules that effect our entire life and the lives of much of the world for God sakes. WOW. he should be fired. you lie, you get caught, you should be fired. period

June 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

Tom, it's not just "liberal Democrats"...in fact, Republicans do this more, or at least they get caught in it more often, so it seems like it's more. We have to kick out both parties–vote third party. Anthony Weiner got caught up in the image of who he is and what he does...our system is corrupt because it allows them to do this kind of stuff. I agree with a few comments that ask where has a crime been committed. The reason this was exposed by Breitbart is because he wanted to show some sort of "bias" he perceives there is toward liberals when it comes to this type of behavior–this is a result of the Chris Lee "scandal". Chris Lee resigned after sending a shirtless photo to a woman. The funny part about all of this is that Republicans claim the moral high ground when it comes to family values, yet they continue this behavior, so it appears very hypocritical. The Democrats are not guilty of hypocrisy here but Rep. Weiner should know better and should not be utilizing any taxpayer resources for his flagrancy. Again, it's the system, we allow the corruption...something has to change.

June 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

what's up with this "you a democrat" stuff? You are very easily angered. And yes I am a PROUD liberal democrat and more importantly, a proud American! I had a superior officer tell me this once (yes i am a vet), if you think everyone is stupid and doesn't get it, its probably you that is stupid and doesn't get it.

June 6, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cb

Please both sides, this is not a democrat vs republican thing. This has to do with the greater issue of male politicians behaving BADLY. Perhaps their lack of common sense and basic decency is why America is in its current state. Politicians like him are so deficient in self control that they would send dick-pics on TWITTER where plausible deniability isn't even possible would OBVIOUSLY also treat america and the american people without care.

If he were just some random private citizen, I wouldn't care much. But I would never want him in ANY position of power because he most likely would abuse it. Frankly his behavior is just retarded. I would not want to give him any power to make laws, govern us, or anywhere near me.

June 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • cb

Is it any surprise that some super powerful IMF guy (Strauss-Kahn) is ALSO a rapist? Any surprise that bankers that robbed the american people blind also have other major moral failings (drugs, prostiutes,etc)?

Why would ANYONE want to keep Weiner around is beyond me. What he did wasn't a crime. But it IS a big, red flag. Typically, it is the hope of the people that our leaders are at least our "betters" in the art of governance. Most of us don't knowingly vote a moron into power (well.......unless you're a teabagger)

June 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I agree. Its government of the people...not government of the saints. It's somewhat ironic that many Americans think so poorly of politicians yet have such high standards for them. He's human and the relationships he harmed are his personal ones.

June 7, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. cb

in a totally unrelated note. If that pic is really of his chest, it's not bad at all. He's good looking when his face isn't in the picture.

June 6, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. EMR

This quote just seems appropriate to our timesand a message to our leaders:

"The budget shuold be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." (Cicero, in 55 BC)

Isnt it amazing how history repeats itself. A ruling class playing games and enriching themsleves through their arrogance while the country goes down the tubes. This applies to both parties and to the sheep of Americans that blindly support there immorality and arrrogance by saying they are such good politicians we should overlook their LIES.

My next quote says:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905

June 7, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. DeeDeeMao

What ever happened to the credibility gap? If anyone can point to any statement Weiner has ever made that makes people want to support him, why wouln't reasonable intelligent people stop to question whether or not it was the truth?

Let's say you own a car that can't be relied on. if the problem couldn't be fixed, wouldn't you want to trade it in for something reliable? Yet chances are this man will be re-elected by the same clueless slack-jawed mouth-breathers that elected him in the first place.

It desn't matter what the subject of the lie is. what matters is who is being lied to. If thios diertbag only lies to his wife, that's her problem. But this is someone who lies to the entire world. What's important when someone is entrusted with high office is the issue of trust. If this shifty-eyed weasel can't be trusted, he shouln't be re-elected. It's said that we get the government we deserve but the nation as a whole doesn't deserve a congress made up of dishonest and unscrupulous individuals.

Congressman Mark Foley was drummed out of office for the same thing that wiener has done which people are defending as inconsequential, and yet Foley owned up tio his mistake and was honest about it and then did the honorable thing and resigned. Wiener is apparant;y as much incapable of being honorable or of having integrety as he is of telling the truth.

June 7, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |