Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. unomay

dude is not just a tool, he is the whole dang shed.... obviously has no control over his mouth!

June 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • saltydog721

Why in the world would anyone care if this guy sends out a photo of himself and a bare chest?? or underware. Whatever happened to the Kelvin Cline highway ad with the underware guy?? Some of these people need to get a grip..!! for real. That's my opinion.

June 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

This is the article about which to ask, "who cares?" D-Day was the wrong place.
    How prudish do Americans want to be?
    It doesn't matter at all.

June 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. brownstain

Caution: Zombies ahead.

June 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hyaena

Who the hell CARES?!

June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Common Sense

If this guy doesn't have the smarts to realize that sending anything like this via the Internet, email etc. can backfire big time, then I don't think he is smart enough to hold political office.

June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john

His responces and handling of these incidents lead many to suspect he was somehow involved. Weiner is a powder keg too, I've seen him blow his temper in interviews & debates numerous times...I am not a fan.

June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrlgh

I dunno, I think you just made an arguement that he's just dumb enough to be in public office!

June 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dude

How come the guys with the biggest mouths always find themselves in this kind of jam?

June 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • brownstain

This isn"t about mouths.

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Big Brain

The Big Brain does not care about this.

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Snake Plissken

The gentleman will sit! The gentleman will turn off his phone! The gentleman will not tweet lewd photos of himself!

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. victim of democrat hypocrisy

The fact that Rep Frankfurter won't 'fess up shows what kind of character he has.

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Robert

A total non-issue! Where are the JOBS, you rethugs – that's what you campaigned to do? You think the people are not noticing that you are playing sewer politics at the same time you attack our teachers, police, fireman, wage workers at the same time you give trillions of tax cuts to the richest 1%?

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • david F.

Absolutely, a non-issue, Robert. Some middle-aged man (congressman) sends a picture of himself in his underwear to a young college girl and everyone makes a big deal about it. What is this country coming to, anyway.

June 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ellyn

I just heard CNN News on Green 960 say "Congressman Weiner is ........over a lewd picture he sent to a college girl." There is a lot of evidence supporting the supposition that someone else sent the picture to the girl. CNN is no longer a news organization. I'm going to ask Green 960 to use a real news source, not a corporate right wing propaganda machine like CNN. Shame on you. You can afford to do the ressearch.

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. weinerman

what a waste of everyone's time. this isn't news this is trash.

June 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DB

So when I call the story sensational tabloid fodder, that should be far beneath you, it get's blocked? Shame, CNN! Please cover some actual news, instead of acting like adolescents participating in a giant wiener joke. Until anything is confirmed, there's no actual story. Your sensational speculation and prurient perseverance is not a story.

June 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Weinergate

Just like most of us men. He's trying to convince everyone that his six minutes (read: inches) of fame should really be 15.

June 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |