Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. assassannihilator

At least he wasn't soliciting guys, right Republicans? Looking at you Larry Craig!

June 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ellyn

Oh, by the way, I won't be watching Congressman Weiner's speech on CNN.

June 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. davegeorgia

weiner is obviously embarrassed about the photos or he wold not have lied about them, he should admit the lie and then resign, his govt duties interfere with his facebook and twitter activity

June 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Morg

Who cares really?

June 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nerdy

I wonder if it is to announce the lead attorney on his divorce team?

June 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lenny Pincus

Hasn't anyone noticed that the original picture was rotated and cropped? He is obviously sitting and, I'm sorry, it's not his junk. Actually, it looks like his hand and part of his arm.

June 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kruegear.com

I make razor gloves at kruegear.com... I'm careful around my Wiener with them.

June 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Paul

and now Mr. Breitbart is speaking at the press conference that Mr. Wiener supposedly was reported by CNN to be at. Is CNN really this easily fooled? This is ridiculous now, it is obvious that this whole "controversy" has been manufactured and the amount of attention given to it by popular media is absurd. We need to pay attention to real issues people, not this garbage. This is clearly a snafu preformed by Mr. Breitbart. GIVE ME A BREAK!!

June 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • david F.

Boy, you saw right through Breitbart on this one, didn't you Paul. Imagine the nerve of the fellow calling out Young Anthony for sending a picture of himself in his underwear to a young college girl. That Breitbart is an absolute villain!

June 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robo_geek

Since when is a shirtless guy considered a lewd photo?

June 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Riff*Raff

Breitbart is being considered credible here? Have we not learned our lesson with believing this nutjob? Everything he's put out there has been heavily edited and discredited. The fact that people lose their careers and livelihood over this fool makes my blood boil. His ACORN garbage. Paying that kid to break into Landreiu's offices. The PBS debacle. It goes on and on. I'm sure Weiner is emailing bare chested pics to every female on the planet. This is simply the cons payback for that rep in New York stepping down after doing the same thing.
    Weiner is a loud voice in the Democratic party. He was drawing attention, and it has become necessary to shut him up. I will be very disheartened if he resigns over this BS.We need as many loud Dems as possible. Whether it's him that sent the pic or not makes no difference to me. Now having an affair maybe or a lovechild that I might have a problem with. Geez, ain't politics fun? If Sony/Google/and Nintendo can be hacked-in the last few months- why not Twitter?

June 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • bb

Exactly right. And CNN is allowing themselves to be tugged around by the likes of Breitbart?

June 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SGT J

lets assume it was him.. he NEVER ran a holier than thou campaign. he never ran a campaign on family values and never claimed moral superiority. This is what the republicans do and then fail every single time. This is not a big deal. Conversation over.

June 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatever

I agree that the original issue was not a big deal. I do think fabricating a story to cover up his actions is a larger deal.

June 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • david F.

If the conversation is over, Sarge, perhaps it is time for you to stop posting into the conversation. Just saying.

June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Travis

Who really cares about this? I fail to see how this story is even worthy of being considered news. There are much more important and pressing issues currently going on in our country. Lets focus on something that matters instead of a picture of a man in his underwear.

June 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. oregonian101

Nice positioning and pirating by Mr. Breitbart at the news conference. That should get a great deal more attention to his blogosphere. I wonder what his income boost will be.

June 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brendan O'Neill

Is this real, I find it strange how politician's are impailed. No wonder all the good politician's get out or stay in low level poiltics Did he work for any of the banks that brought down the world economy?
    Wow, I live in Canada and maybe I just don't get it.

Good Luck with the big issues

June 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bb

Andrew Breitbart – 'nuff said. CNN, if you just take what this guy gives you, you are not a news outfit. Investigate this yourself. Breitbart has a clear agenda.

June 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |