Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. michael

Morg says "Who cares really?"

We all should care especially if you live in his district. Is this something you want your Congressman doing to young girls?

June 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. epona30

OMG! Man boobies! Really? I am sure this was some BS hacker. I am sure this guy has better things to do.

June 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Grill Raider

Everyone is just one click away from a full change of livelihood...

June 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GuestColin

What an idiot!

June 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

CNN, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for not playing the audio during tabloid trash Andrew Breitbart's speech just now. People like him (along the people who belive his type of garbage and the reporters who reprint it) are what's wrong with the media.

June 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. james

Reminds me of the old Jack Benny jingle, "Pickle in the middle and the mustard on top".

June 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brad

If you will just blow up the pictures on the credenza in the background, you can probably tell who it is, or connect another dot or two. But, geez, is this worth the press hatchet job or a huy in his underwear? Can anyone run for office these days. Were you the reporters the same one who tattled on all your classmates in elementary school and sat in front of the class in high school brownnosing?

June 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. michael

bb says "Breitbart has a clear agenda."

And CNN, MSNBC, moveon, & Huffpo don't?

June 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Leggo My Weiner

He has nice pecs; more than I can say for most of the manboobs in Washington.

June 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bill in VA

If that really is a picture of Weiner I give him credit for the workouts he must be doing.

June 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

Libs are idiots. Morons, actually.

June 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Quiet1

Brooke on CNN call Brietbart far right which he is and She (CNN) is far left- Funny stuff

June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jennifer

Well god knows if you are in poitics you should never post pics of your own chest ...THE AUDACITY!....C'mon CNN...Is this really news? Does it effect the general public...or anyone really???? SHEESH!

June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Yes, we should care. Particularly when he continues to lie about it. Frankly, that is a trait of a lot of politicians and it should be one that disqualifies them from public office.
      Further, he shows what a moron he is for thinking WE are all morons and would believe his lies even for an instant. Well, OK – some of you morons did believe it and continue to support him.

June 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. suesark

Could this chest not belong to any number of men? I mean, really!!! Who is to say this is Weiner's chest? This might be a case of he said/she said.

June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. greyvin

hey cnn: why did you crop the photo?

June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |