Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign
Conservative site BigGovernment.com says a woman claims this photo was sent to her by U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner.
June 6th, 2011

Weiner admits sending inappropriate photos, says he won't resign

[Updated at 5:30 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Monday he has sent inappropriate photos to and had inappropriate communications with about six women over the past three years - some after he was married - and says he's "very sorry."

The photos include one - sent on his Twitter account more than a week ago - that he had previously claimed was a result of a hacker's prank, the New York Democrat told reporters Monday afternoon at a New York City hotel.

He said he's made "terrible mistakes and ... hurt the people that I care about the most," but he won't step down from Congress and has no intentions of  separating from his wife.

"I'm deeply regretting what I’ve done, and I’m not resigning," he said.

The women are "generally women that I met on Facebook," Weiner said. He said he never met the women in person, and has never had sex outside his marriage.

Of the photo that got the media's attention late last month - a picture of a man in underwear that was sent on Weiner's Twitter account - he said that he mistakenly tweeted it publicly. "I intended to send (the photo) as a direct message to a woman as part of a joke to a woman in Seattle," he said.

When reporters asked him about it at the time, he said that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

"Once I realized I had posted to Twitter, I panicked, I took it down and said that I’d been hacked," Weiner said Monday. "I then continued with that story - to stick to that story - which was a hugely regrettable mistake. This woman was unwittingly dragged into this and bears no responsibility. I'm so sorry to have disrupted her life in this way."

"To be clear, the picture was of me, and I sent it."

FULL STORY

He added that he's "deeply sorry for the pain this has caused" to his wife, friends and constituents.

Weiner said whether he would run for re-election is "the last thing on my mind."

Share your reaction to Rep. Weiner's press conference

Earlier in the day, Weiner faced new questions after BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

[Posted at 4:16 p.m. ET] U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, is scheduled to address members of the news media late Monday afternoon in a New York City hotel, according to his office.

CNN will have live coverage of the address.

News of Weiner's planned address comes amid more than a week of controversy over photos that are alleged to have come from him or his Twitter account, including one released Monday by BigGovernment.com, a site run by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. The site has posted a picture of a bare-chested man that it says a woman claims came from Weiner.

CNN has been unable to independently confirm that the image is that of the congressman or was sent by him.

As reporters waited for Weiner to make his address Monday afternoon, Breitbart appeared at the hotel, and - apparently at the urging of reporters - took to a podium and spoke to the media, CNN's Mary Snow reported.

The latest photo emerged more than a week after a different photograph - one of a man in underwear - was sent on Weiner's Twitter account. Weiner has said that he didn't send that photo, and that he was the victim of a hacker and a prank.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics
  1. rplat

Today is the anniversary of "D" Day and the brave men who secured our freedom. Unfortunately, the freedom they earned with their lives is used to tout the escapades of dirtbags the like Weiiner and other slobs. I'm beginning to wonder if anybody deserves the ultimate sacrifices made by our soldiers either then or now.

June 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenna NY

Amen – count me – disgusted!

June 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

EXACTLY! What horrible disrespect! It is a widely know fashion fact that men who don't wear shirts on D Day are disrespecting our troops! Oh, and VJ day is strictly Black Tie. And of course it goes without saying that you to NEVER wear sandals on VE Day.

June 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fl bob

No Mistaweiner this time! The left leadership and the lame street media are showing exactly how hypocrites cover for their own.

June 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

While I don't consider this a lewd picture (my gosh, you see bare chested men at the beach all the time), but it's obvious this man not only has poor judgement, he is an egotistical pig! He has a wife, he is a politician and for some reason he thinks he is immune. Arrogant, and while I don't think the pics alone should force him to resign, his stupidity, his lying and the shame he has brought to Congress is amazing. He should, out of respect, resign.

June 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

If you're going to blantantly steal a line from Palin (which is pretty sad) at least get it right, its lame stream media, not street as in main stream. Palin lovers are as quick as she is.

June 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robo_geek

Obvious setup and smear campaign. It's amazing that news organizations such as CNN don't bother validating the source of information before publishing this sort of information. Remember that the one person who 'found' the original photo was a man named Wolf who has some sort of vendetta against Rep. Weiner. Now out comes some mystery woman who claims photos and texts were exchanged.....to which I say, who cares? If every private conversation of every public official were made public, CNN would need to open a second company to report it all.

June 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • donk

and whats ur response now that hes admitting everything? u libtard clown

June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimi Fee

What do Democrats think about your boy now? He's been working hard for the people hasn't he....Must have WAY too much time on his hands....Chaulk up another liar in congress!

June 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Linda

Looks pretty darn good to me, what does the woman that received the picture look like?

June 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jean-Luc

Does anybody have a sewing kit? Cause that guy's RIPPED! o_O

June 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

That's what I'm sayin'. His dirty laundry looks pretty good to me.

June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill

Why has CNN cropped this pic of Weiner from the top? Other websites show the same pic uncropped, which easily identifies Weiner's lower face. Why is the liberal CNN always trying to distort or favor it's news coverage to liberals? Shameful....

June 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. s c h

I have to really laugh at all the Redumbs putting down Liberals when their own house is so full of womanizers, pediphiles,
    and even people nominated for Prez that have cheated while married. Hypocrites.

June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andy

4:25 and too much Weiner

June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eduardz

Um...isn't that him in the framed background photo with Bill Clinton?

June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

Oh no! A bare chest! Like when Obama was on a magazine cover a couple of years ago! But nothing like when (GOP) Sen. Scott Brown posed nude for a magazine shoot. Repeat after me, people; WHO. CARES.

June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brownstain

Is that a dead worm in his shorts?

June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kathleen

Hooray!!! finally, an honest politician, almost an oxymoron . . re-elect Weiner . . . Kathleen (from FL)

June 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cacol

Weiner is a pig; he has no morals and lied from the beginning. Why do you people comtinue to vote for pig politicians.

June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Why do you support corrupt religious televangelists?

June 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sleep Cycle

Check out the photos in the background–you can make out Bill Clinton on the right. Baby picture on the left. Nice work, Weinie.

June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |