June 7th, 2011

Arizona wildfire disrupts flights, threatens air quality in New Mexico

More than 2,500 fire fighters struggled Tuesday to gain the slimmest of advantages over a fast-moving wildfire that has already burned across 365 square miles of mountainous eastern Arizona.

As of Tuesday afternoon, only four structures had been lost in the fire, a point not lost on Brenda McCardle of Eager, Arizona, who got a visit from sheriff's deputies Monday night telling her to be ready to get out at a moment's notice should the fire race too close to her home at the base of Flat Top Mountain.

"They are doing a wonderful job of protecting property while fighting this fire," she said.

She said smoke from the fires comes and goes near her home, a reminder of the threat from one of the worst wildfires in Arizona history.

Yesterday, after the visit sheriff's deputies, McCardle said she was "crying and my brain felt dead."

"Today, I am preparing suitcases, and my mind is clearer," she said.

Critical fire weather continued Tuesday across much of the southwest, with low humidity and high winds raising the threat from fires in Arizona, New Mexico, southeastern Colorado and west Texas, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.

The Arizona blaze, called the Wallow Fire, is beginning to threaten neighboring New Mexico, and spillover smoke pushed by high winds has disrupted flights and prompted an air quality alert on the other side of the border, authorities said Tuesday.

Wildfire smoke prompted scheduled flights from Oakland, California, Salt Lake City, Houston and Seattle into Albuquerque International Sunport to be diverted, according to a statement released by airport officials late Monday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arizona
  1. the Laughing Prospector

Take that! Stupid New Mexico! Ha ha ha...burp...ha ha ha...burp... ha ha ha...burp...

June 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

Here's green snot in your fat face laughing prospector.

June 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Well, he seems happy.

June 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony's Case Post

The way her eyes glared at me from across the dance floor, almost inviting me to take her trembling scrawny body right there and then. I knew she wasn't wearing panties because she had stumbled and fallen down earlier. When she was getting back up her hoohah made itself known to the world. I began to walk towards her Heineken in hand when all of a sudden she threw up on herself. It was at that moment I knew I was going to take her home.

June 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anthony's Case Posts

Casey Anthony was offered a limited immunity deal by prosecutors until September 2, 2008, but did not take it. Casey Anthony was arrested for the third time on September 15, 2008, on new charges of theft, and was released shortly afterward.

On September 5, 2008, Casey Anthony was released again on bail after being fitted with an electronic tracking device. Her $500,000 bond was posted anonymously, and it was later revealed that her parents, Cindy and George Anthony, signed a promissory note for the bond.

On October 14, 2008, Casey Anthony was indicted by a grand jury on charges of first-degree murder and was arrested for the fourth time. She entered a plea of not-guilty to the charges that she killed Caylee. On October 21, 2008, the charges of child neglect were dropped against Casey. In a statement that morning, the State Attorney's Office explained: "The neglect charges were premised on the theory that her child, Caylee Marie, was still alive. As the investigation progressed and it became clear that the evidence proved that the child was deceased, the State sought an indictment on the legally appropriate charges."

On April 14, 2009, prosecutors announced that they plan to seek the death penalty in this case. Casey Anthony and her family maintain that she is innocent of all charges.

June 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

I didn't know they named wildfires. Huh.

June 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Casey'sTawdryTalesOfConquest

Casey was years older than me and lived on the street running parallel to ours. Ben was an only child and had made a habit of exploring the neighborhood on boring summer days. We became fast friends, practically living in each other's houses. His father, Dave, was like a big kid, always making us laugh or taking us to the zoo. Or to the movies. Or bowling. Or into the city. They were constantly smiling even though their big Victorian house seemed a bit sad. Ben's mother had died of ovarian cancer the year before we moved in, and he rarely talked about her. However he did develop a close relationship with my mother, who still, in my opinion, loves him more than her own children. I know I had other friends as a child, but I can't seem to recall doing many things with them. What I do remember the most are memories with Ben: our secret handshakes, our adventures, our forts. And of course, one of the first movies his dad brought us to see -The Empire Strikes Back. By the time we reached the car in the parking lot it was settled. Ben was Han and I was Leia, without the stilted acting or kissing. Secret handshakes soon developed into serious secrets and tent sleepovers in the back yard into camping trips with our friends on high school vacations. He had girlfriends and I had boyfriends, but I suspected my relationships were never as serious as his. The few boyfriends I had before Ben left for college had only kissed me. Nothing else. Throughout it all Ben and I were always friends. Just friends. However, it was hard to see him that way as we got older and he kept growing taller and more handsome. At his going away party the summer before he left for college our parents took a picture of the two of us together. Ben had his arm around me and while I stood there like an awkward child. When he went away I would often look at the picture and stare at him. His strong jaw. His blue eyes. His nose with its tiny bump (a touch football game in junior high somehow got out of control). His dimples. His tan skin. His muscular arms and lean torso. By the time of the picture I had stopped growing once I hit 5'9, but he still towered over me, and his frame overpowered mine. The last night he was in town before he left for the Marines I let him plow my love field with his John Deere..

June 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

@CTOTC:
    Oh, we're back to Ben, are we?
    Go back to your original writing...
    Much, *much* more entertaining than,
    1)ACP's drivel, and
    2) The real trial.

June 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. s kel

what the hell is wrong with u people, the artical is on the air quality resulting from the az wildfires.

June 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. meee

Check out iboinkedcayleescorpse.com wow is it HOT!!

June 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |