Overheard on CNN.com: Readers slam Weiner
June 7th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers slam Weiner

Comment of the day:

"Don't pressure the Weiner. As soon as the story broke, with a last name like that, I would've resigned immediately."–DonQuijote33

Democrats turn up pressure on Weiner, rally behind ethics probe

Three main issues, along with many puns, have surfaced in comments on CNN.com stories about U.S.  Rep. Anthony Weiner's admission Monday that he had posted a lewd photo to Twitter, that he'd lied about it previously, and that he'd carried on inappropriate exchanges with several women he met online.

Readers took a stab at Weiner's seeming ignorance of social media's power to make anything public at a click of a mouse.

WebsterLong said, "Can someone tell me about any time in history where a man sending pictures of his most private of areas via the Internet has ever turned out well? Some people are so clueless it's frightening."

katiefacemom is not only upset that the congressman lied, she can't believe he sent such a photo via Twitter. "How, in today's world of social media ad nauseam can any elected official possibly believe they could get away with something as flagrantly stupid as this? Who cares what he tweeted. It's the lies that just cost him his career."

vertrep00 said, "Lying about his personal behavior on the steps of Congress is big news.  Tweeting like a rogue freshman in college, while serving in Congress, is even bigger.  I don't want this narcissistic frat-boy voting on my future or that of my children."

iReporters also submitted their views on the situation. iReporter TheVideoMan wrote, "If they were smart, these people would not share these embarrassing pics or videos thru social media. And when caught, the offender should admit guilt immediately and move on Рit's the lies that the American people will not stand for."

iReporter JOHNNYCOLT expressed his concern about the congressman’s social media use: "How is a man who does not have the skills to manage the clandestine activities of his own electronic affairs without the world finding out about it ever supposed to execute the duties of his office and survive the viper pit of modern day politics?"

New York voters divided on Weiner's future

Several commenters weighed in about Weiner's announcement that he would not resign from Congress.

"Do the brave thing, the right thing, Mr. Weiner. ... Resign," heresme said. "Your judgment is lacking.  You have lost your people's faith and trust.  Get on with it and do the proper thing. Your constituents deserve to close this chapter, and so does your country."

DionKraft said, "If you can't handle 'Tweets' and Facebook, how can you be qualified to run the government? If you can't handle your life, how can you handle others'? RESIGN."

"I am one of his constituents and he has always been great in the past," viewer58 said. "I can't get past his lies and stories. I think he should resign."

Several people who said they were Weiner’s constituents said they feel that what he did was not illegal and the actions should not force him from office.

maxemoose36 wrote, "He's one of the best representatives that NY state, let alone the country, has. When he does something truly illegal, I'll consider not voting for him."

Thoughtocrat said that Weiner did do wrong, but that his actions in Congress supersede the controversy. "I am your constituent, Anthony. You have my support. You have done a lot for NY, for your constituents, for this country. What you did was stupid. You are not a hormonal teenager. So, behave yourself."

tet1953 said, "These calls for resignation are ridiculous if you ask me.  It was a stupid thing he did yes, but apparently no laws were broken.  He has paid a high price already.  Yeah, I know he lied.  Out of embarrassment.  A personal matter.  Not like he lied about anything remotely related to his job and responsibility to his constituents."

Martin: Weiner's lies, not tweets, did him in

Many readers are not upset about the photos as much as they are about Weiner lying to the public. A number of commenters agreed with CNN Opinion contributor Roland S. Martin, who argued that Weiner was wrong to lie.  But some readers did not agree with Martin's assertion that Weiner shouldn't resign.

Swearengen said, "It is all about the lie.  I couldn't possibly care less about him (or anyone for that matter) e-mailing their naughty bits to one another.  That makes for some exciting sexual tension РI get that.  I don't get why you would have to lie about it."

diver923 said, "…the lies are what I find most troubling.  He didn't even know who he was sending these images to!  He lost my vote and I think he should resign."

timpura said, "I think we need to start asking this question of all our politicians – If he (she) can lie so easily about something like this, what else can he (she) lie about?"

GailScottt, a constituent of Weiner’s, said, "Yes, he should resign. He was busted, he lied about it, blamed it on a hacker, and led us on a wild goose chase for days. He should resign and save his family further embarrassment."

iReporter KCRep said: "What I care about is the lying, when you get caught doing something that you KNOW you did, why make it so much worse by lying about it?  Come on Weiner, you only had this press conference because you know you got caught.  Admitting something after lying about it for days and days to the media is only trying to save yourself from further problems."

Post by:
Filed under: iReport • Overheard on CNN.com
  1. marinela

another narcissitic man!!not only show him be stupid and ignorant about the power or internet, he lie and keep liying! how can we have him taking decisitions for us!! he is not smart!!

June 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JR

I did not realize that time travel is already working. You must have traveled from 200 years back and found yourself in 2011. Ummm, please go back and not let your "brothers" use the time travel machine. Also, while you are at, please get some education (8th grade doesn't count) and hang around mature people.

June 7, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Peter

Why does this guy still have a job ? If he does not resign I may move back to NY and run aganist him – I need a job and I do not have the baggage that he brings to the table. He needs to focus on saving his marriage and that will prevent him from representing the people of NY and their best interests for a long time to come. He should resign ASAP because his duty is to put the people of NY's interests before his own every day he serves in office.

June 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cindy

Wow, another dishonest, (arguably) unfaithful and all-around disgusting politician. Neato 'cuz, like, that's news. OK, can the Congress go back to work now? Thanks.

June 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jona

CNN. You should be reporting about yourselves here. You defended hm. Now you're pretending to be ushering in the wave of discontent. How pathetic.

June 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • descarado

Journalistic hypocrisy at CNN? I am shocked! Shocked!

June 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • mk2

CNN is a hilarious and hypocritcal news organization.

June 8, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Jona, I have been watching the coverage of this since day one, and the journalists I saw had a very unfavorable opinion of what the congressman had done. In particular, Anderson Cooper made his disapproval quite evident, so please let us know WHO supported Weiner during this incident.

June 8, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rick Batt

This contradiction speaks for itself.

Rep. Anthony Weiner, 6/6/11: ‚ÄúI don‚Äôt think I did anything that violated House rules.‚ÄĚ (defending his decision not to resign)

The first section of the official code of conduct for members of the U.S. House of Representatives:

‚ÄúThere is hereby established by and for the House of Representatives the following code of conduct, to be known as the ‚ÄėCode of Official Conduct‚Äô: 1. A Member‚Ķ. of the House of Representatives shall conduct himself at all times in a manner which shall reflect creditably on the House of Representatives.‚ÄĚ

June 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. FedUp2

The President and many other congress members frequent a prön site all the time. It's called Flickr, where people show pictures of their real junk to everyone, including kids. How is a nonpron image on twitter or wherever else so much worse than that it warrants this much attention? Thousands of peds are openly preying on children, sharing totally nasty stuff right alongside the heads of state and nation without anybody batting an eye. A few pics from "bad boy" liar an wowee, what news.

June 7, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lisa

Hi! New Yorker here! And all I want to say is that I don't care if Weiner sent his picture to thousands of women. I'm still going back him up. Remember people he works for New York. He was the one of the many people who worked to get the Zadroga bill passed. In case the people of New York forgets.

June 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. carla

What is it about someone's privates that they think are so awesome that they should tweet a picture of it. I sure hope that wasn't a minor who received the pictures or the texting. If I was the parent, you wouldn't have to worry about resigning

June 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Iamrightyouarewrong

Oompa loompa dupity doo I've got another riddle for you. What must you do when your account has been hacked. Only in  boxers your flag at full staff. First you must lie, so nobody would laugh. Now that the truths out you may get the shaft. Now only wishing you had wore a gaff like the like the other reps do.

June 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Eric

This guy is such an embarassment to our governemt. I don't know what democrats are thinking of with people like him and Barney Frank, Chuck Rangel. It is of great concern these narcisitic fools are guiding our countries future. It's time for the American people to say enough. What would have happened if a goverment not friendly to the USA got ahold of info like this? He was willing to lie to everyone in the coutry- what if it had not gone public? What would they have done to keep their secrets? Give up ours?

June 8, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. Big Effin Deal

Big effin deal. I've shown my junk to women too. If anything, I support the guy more now at a time when he is most vulnerable.

June 8, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. wendy wynberg

Why is CNN duped by conservative bloggers who create the news?....the background story is far more interesting than congressman Weiner's personal issues....who is paying these conservative bloggers ? I imagine there is an army of paid right wing activists who do nothing but search for unseemly behavior on the part of Progressive elected officials....release the salacious details and the media "follows" this created garbage....... Our attention is being carefully diverted from the important problems we are facing as a nation.....

June 8, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. Xerxes 2011

Uh. He's acting like such a Weiner right now. But we all need to get over it and quit pointing the finger or are you only poiinting it because he got caught and you didnt?

June 8, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • King Leonidas/Hot Oracle 2012

Look many men have shown their junk. If we've got a nice double fister to show off then we do.. Not all men cheat. I never did even though that wh or e of a queen was nailing everything in site. I tossed her down the well and tots me a new oracle.. she's hot yes? Keep it in your toga guys. Or don't get married..

June 8, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sperko

I don't care that he was stupid enough to use Twitter to send pictures of his private spots. I don't care that he tried to lure women as a married man. What I do care about is how he lied in my (our) face about the entire thing. Saying the truth earlier would still have been bad. But nowhere near as bad as it is now. We should expect more from people in his position. This is our government we are talking about. He's not just some random college kid. He's a man who makes important decisions on our lives.

June 8, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |