Overheard on CNN.com: Readers slam Weiner
June 7th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers slam Weiner

Comment of the day:

"Don't pressure the Weiner. As soon as the story broke, with a last name like that, I would've resigned immediately."–DonQuijote33

Democrats turn up pressure on Weiner, rally behind ethics probe

Three main issues, along with many puns, have surfaced in comments on CNN.com stories about U.S.  Rep. Anthony Weiner's admission Monday that he had posted a lewd photo to Twitter, that he'd lied about it previously, and that he'd carried on inappropriate exchanges with several women he met online.

Readers took a stab at Weiner's seeming ignorance of social media's power to make anything public at a click of a mouse.

WebsterLong said, "Can someone tell me about any time in history where a man sending pictures of his most private of areas via the Internet has ever turned out well? Some people are so clueless it's frightening."

katiefacemom is not only upset that the congressman lied, she can't believe he sent such a photo via Twitter. "How, in today's world of social media ad nauseam can any elected official possibly believe they could get away with something as flagrantly stupid as this? Who cares what he tweeted. It's the lies that just cost him his career."

vertrep00 said, "Lying about his personal behavior on the steps of Congress is big news.  Tweeting like a rogue freshman in college, while serving in Congress, is even bigger.  I don't want this narcissistic frat-boy voting on my future or that of my children."

iReporters also submitted their views on the situation. iReporter TheVideoMan wrote, "If they were smart, these people would not share these embarrassing pics or videos thru social media. And when caught, the offender should admit guilt immediately and move on – it's the lies that the American people will not stand for."

iReporter JOHNNYCOLT expressed his concern about the congressman’s social media use: "How is a man who does not have the skills to manage the clandestine activities of his own electronic affairs without the world finding out about it ever supposed to execute the duties of his office and survive the viper pit of modern day politics?"

New York voters divided on Weiner's future

Several commenters weighed in about Weiner's announcement that he would not resign from Congress.

"Do the brave thing, the right thing, Mr. Weiner. ... Resign," heresme said. "Your judgment is lacking.  You have lost your people's faith and trust.  Get on with it and do the proper thing. Your constituents deserve to close this chapter, and so does your country."

DionKraft said, "If you can't handle 'Tweets' and Facebook, how can you be qualified to run the government? If you can't handle your life, how can you handle others'? RESIGN."

"I am one of his constituents and he has always been great in the past," viewer58 said. "I can't get past his lies and stories. I think he should resign."

Several people who said they were Weiner’s constituents said they feel that what he did was not illegal and the actions should not force him from office.

maxemoose36 wrote, "He's one of the best representatives that NY state, let alone the country, has. When he does something truly illegal, I'll consider not voting for him."

Thoughtocrat said that Weiner did do wrong, but that his actions in Congress supersede the controversy. "I am your constituent, Anthony. You have my support. You have done a lot for NY, for your constituents, for this country. What you did was stupid. You are not a hormonal teenager. So, behave yourself."

tet1953 said, "These calls for resignation are ridiculous if you ask me.  It was a stupid thing he did yes, but apparently no laws were broken.  He has paid a high price already.  Yeah, I know he lied.  Out of embarrassment.  A personal matter.  Not like he lied about anything remotely related to his job and responsibility to his constituents."

Martin: Weiner's lies, not tweets, did him in

Many readers are not upset about the photos as much as they are about Weiner lying to the public. A number of commenters agreed with CNN Opinion contributor Roland S. Martin, who argued that Weiner was wrong to lie.  But some readers did not agree with Martin's assertion that Weiner shouldn't resign.

Swearengen said, "It is all about the lie.  I couldn't possibly care less about him (or anyone for that matter) e-mailing their naughty bits to one another.  That makes for some exciting sexual tension – I get that.  I don't get why you would have to lie about it."

diver923 said, "…the lies are what I find most troubling.  He didn't even know who he was sending these images to!  He lost my vote and I think he should resign."

timpura said, "I think we need to start asking this question of all our politicians – If he (she) can lie so easily about something like this, what else can he (she) lie about?"

GailScottt, a constituent of Weiner’s, said, "Yes, he should resign. He was busted, he lied about it, blamed it on a hacker, and led us on a wild goose chase for days. He should resign and save his family further embarrassment."

iReporter KCRep said: "What I care about is the lying, when you get caught doing something that you KNOW you did, why make it so much worse by lying about it?  Come on Weiner, you only had this press conference because you know you got caught.  Admitting something after lying about it for days and days to the media is only trying to save yourself from further problems."

Post by:
Filed under: iReport • Overheard on CNN.com
  1. mojo

This guy is a creep. He represents us in Congress? What a disgrace. Congress should tell him to take a hike. What a complete Moron.

June 8, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Unless you are from his district in NY, he is not your representative. Let them decide whether he should be back in Congress. Let's face it, if lying was a sin, we would only have about 10 members of Congress.

June 8, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Robert...Lying is a sin, you know, one of the 10 commandments. Weiner's lie is pretty bad and he should resign.

June 8, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Austin Powers

Yeah babey!

June 8, 2011 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. NewsRaider

Put Weiner in an Army uniform and send him to Afghanistan for one month. Then we'll see how many tweets and email pics he sends to women he doesn't know over the internet.

June 8, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

What in the world does that even mean?

June 8, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Susan

Although I found Weiner's behavior to reprehensible and his coverup to be rather immature, I do not think he should be forced to resign. He is otherwise a good congressman and hopefully he will get some therapy and be allowed to continue to serve.
    I find it rather ironic that so many people find this white lie to be grounds for removal from office when it has nothing to do with the public welfare and no law was broken, yet President Ronald Reagan LIED about selling weapons to our sworn enemy Iran and was not asked to resign nor has this tarnished his long term reputation. Surely, the covert sale of weapons to an enemy nation was more worthy of forced resignation than Weiner's poor handling of this regretable personal sin.

June 8, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I am a Democrat. Weiner should resign.

June 8, 2011 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kevin

This guy's unfortunate last name now that he is involved in a scandal about tweeting pictures of his package to women is like pure gold to comedians.

June 8, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Oldie in TampaBay

had he not lied I would have agreed it was none of anyones business BUT he DID lie and continued to do so. He has NO recourse but to resign to save his wife/family any further embarrassment!

June 8, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • KK

If Weiner is forced to resign regardless of the polls that overwhelmingly say he should not resign, then that means that the democrats are really wimps and will crouch and 'save face' in the presence of the right wing, but that they are do not genuinely care about the electorate.

June 8, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. annabrant

Weiner would make a great mayor! He supports illegals and loves to spend and has no problem cheating on wife after a month of saying "I do". So vote him in for mayor and let the fun continue for New York! http://bit.ly/jvXiMG

June 8, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bill Mizzell

It is sad that Weiner has become more important in the news than our economy. Why can't someone address that issue? When I hear such news being that important, it makes me sick to my stomach. Why doesn't someone talk about how to create jobs ? Why doesn't someone try to get companies to move here? If the people who have money think that all we care about is Weiner, we are in serious trouble. HELP We are drowning in job losses, and debt. The news media is worse than Weiner.

June 8, 2011 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Iz Teremka Kennel

My mother taught me in my early years that when you lie, you will always lie to cover up that lie and so forth. A iar is never to be trusted

June 8, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. Liar

We all lie. Not even one of us can go a whole week without lying. Maybe if you locked yourself up in a room you could make it a day without lying to someone, but then your own thoughts would condemn you. It's the covering-up of the lie where we get into trouble, even with ourselves.

June 8, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. cissy

somehow we are supposed to accept this twitter thing as the norm and brush it all under the fridge huh? f***ing idiots trying to defend the undefendable. unbelievable

June 8, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. cissy

liar we are not elected officials and because i told my wife i took out the trash when i didnt doesnt put me in the same group as weener! idiot!

June 8, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. MK

I honestly think this is all just a form of Huxleyan propaganda to stir us away from real issues like fixing our budget and health care reform.

June 8, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Melemmonme

No doubt about it. This is such a stupid thing to worry about given the larger context of world events. I can't remember last week if people were this upset about Arnold Schwarzenegger or not. We seem to have forgotten all about his dirty laudry for that of this poor fellow.

June 9, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Melanie

It's hard to believe anyone is shocked by his behavior. Has everyone already forgotten that Clinton got a bj in the Oval Office without having to resign? Let's just face the facts here.. Some of the smartest men in the world turn into complete idiots when their penis does the thinking. If we're going to make all the men who think with their privates resign, the entire world will be run by women in no time! Hmm.. maybe not such a bad idea 🙂

June 8, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. amyj

It's unbelievable to me the attention that this incident has created. This just another story of a guy that was messing around on the internet and got caught. He just happens to be a politician. It is easy for people to judge others, but rarely look at their own mistakes and poor judgement.

June 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jerry younkins

I have become so cynical. I can't help but believe that every one of our elected officials is corrupt, in office to make big dollars or use their acquired power to knock down some strange. High priced lawyers have discovered every loop hole in our law. Politicians serve themselves and not the people. The super-rich buy and sell our officials. The people who created these problems are in charge of fixing them. The elite rule over us and have no mind and no heart. IAmerica cannot be repaired. Twenty years of war and the answer is to cut medical care. The president gets the peace prize and bombs keep falling. We have had a minimum of 40,000 years to figure these problems out and the best we can up with is "Momma Grizzlies"? But look at it on the bright side-three out of four NBA play-off games have been spectacular.

June 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |