Overheard on CNN.com: Readers slam Weiner
June 7th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers slam Weiner

Comment of the day:

"Don't pressure the Weiner. As soon as the story broke, with a last name like that, I would've resigned immediately."–DonQuijote33

Democrats turn up pressure on Weiner, rally behind ethics probe

Three main issues, along with many puns, have surfaced in comments on CNN.com stories about U.S.  Rep. Anthony Weiner's admission Monday that he had posted a lewd photo to Twitter, that he'd lied about it previously, and that he'd carried on inappropriate exchanges with several women he met online.

Readers took a stab at Weiner's seeming ignorance of social media's power to make anything public at a click of a mouse.

WebsterLong said, "Can someone tell me about any time in history where a man sending pictures of his most private of areas via the Internet has ever turned out well? Some people are so clueless it's frightening."

katiefacemom is not only upset that the congressman lied, she can't believe he sent such a photo via Twitter. "How, in today's world of social media ad nauseam can any elected official possibly believe they could get away with something as flagrantly stupid as this? Who cares what he tweeted. It's the lies that just cost him his career."

vertrep00 said, "Lying about his personal behavior on the steps of Congress is big news.  Tweeting like a rogue freshman in college, while serving in Congress, is even bigger.  I don't want this narcissistic frat-boy voting on my future or that of my children."

iReporters also submitted their views on the situation. iReporter TheVideoMan wrote, "If they were smart, these people would not share these embarrassing pics or videos thru social media. And when caught, the offender should admit guilt immediately and move on Рit's the lies that the American people will not stand for."

iReporter JOHNNYCOLT expressed his concern about the congressman’s social media use: "How is a man who does not have the skills to manage the clandestine activities of his own electronic affairs without the world finding out about it ever supposed to execute the duties of his office and survive the viper pit of modern day politics?"

New York voters divided on Weiner's future

Several commenters weighed in about Weiner's announcement that he would not resign from Congress.

"Do the brave thing, the right thing, Mr. Weiner. ... Resign," heresme said. "Your judgment is lacking.  You have lost your people's faith and trust.  Get on with it and do the proper thing. Your constituents deserve to close this chapter, and so does your country."

DionKraft said, "If you can't handle 'Tweets' and Facebook, how can you be qualified to run the government? If you can't handle your life, how can you handle others'? RESIGN."

"I am one of his constituents and he has always been great in the past," viewer58 said. "I can't get past his lies and stories. I think he should resign."

Several people who said they were Weiner’s constituents said they feel that what he did was not illegal and the actions should not force him from office.

maxemoose36 wrote, "He's one of the best representatives that NY state, let alone the country, has. When he does something truly illegal, I'll consider not voting for him."

Thoughtocrat said that Weiner did do wrong, but that his actions in Congress supersede the controversy. "I am your constituent, Anthony. You have my support. You have done a lot for NY, for your constituents, for this country. What you did was stupid. You are not a hormonal teenager. So, behave yourself."

tet1953 said, "These calls for resignation are ridiculous if you ask me.  It was a stupid thing he did yes, but apparently no laws were broken.  He has paid a high price already.  Yeah, I know he lied.  Out of embarrassment.  A personal matter.  Not like he lied about anything remotely related to his job and responsibility to his constituents."

Martin: Weiner's lies, not tweets, did him in

Many readers are not upset about the photos as much as they are about Weiner lying to the public. A number of commenters agreed with CNN Opinion contributor Roland S. Martin, who argued that Weiner was wrong to lie.  But some readers did not agree with Martin's assertion that Weiner shouldn't resign.

Swearengen said, "It is all about the lie.  I couldn't possibly care less about him (or anyone for that matter) e-mailing their naughty bits to one another.  That makes for some exciting sexual tension РI get that.  I don't get why you would have to lie about it."

diver923 said, "…the lies are what I find most troubling.  He didn't even know who he was sending these images to!  He lost my vote and I think he should resign."

timpura said, "I think we need to start asking this question of all our politicians – If he (she) can lie so easily about something like this, what else can he (she) lie about?"

GailScottt, a constituent of Weiner’s, said, "Yes, he should resign. He was busted, he lied about it, blamed it on a hacker, and led us on a wild goose chase for days. He should resign and save his family further embarrassment."

iReporter KCRep said: "What I care about is the lying, when you get caught doing something that you KNOW you did, why make it so much worse by lying about it?  Come on Weiner, you only had this press conference because you know you got caught.  Admitting something after lying about it for days and days to the media is only trying to save yourself from further problems."

Post by:
Filed under: iReport • Overheard on CNN.com
  1. db

Just another life wreck by a social network.

June 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dbw

what a wiener !

June 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fools

He needs to resign. Who knows what else is out there for this idiot to be bribed with. That's the reason he needs to resign! It's not that he lied – it's that he has put all kinds of c r a p out there that folks have saved that can now be hung over his head and used to blackmail his vote. Wake up people!

June 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. spike

Shows the stupidiity of New Yorkers that 50% still approve. This man shows no judgement or ethics in small matters, yet they trust him to make decisions that impact this nation and it's citizens??? As long as people remain this stupid, our nation will continue to spiral to the bottom of the toilet, ecomocially, morally and in loss of freedoms. New Yorkers have a great idea, let's elect a really stupid man to steer this ship called America! That will help!!!

June 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bubba

He should resign.

June 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debbie

All I have to say is this: If I was his wife, I would get a divorce. He sure wouldn't lie and betray me.
    And NO I would not try to work things out! He had his chance and he is more interested in his other women, so he can have them now.
    I wouldn't want NO part of him anymore, HE IS HISTORY!

June 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Susan Edmunds

I am not an Anthony Weiner fan. He lied. He he engaged in stupid behavior. He, also, made himself look like an idiot. However, Newt Gingrich, whom we are cosidering for the Presidency, lied, engaged in stupid behavior, acted hypocritically, and actually commttted adultry. So, yes, Anthony Weiner should resign. Then he can avoid the ethics probe and run for the Presidency in the future!

June 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RonW

Wonderful. He pass a bill to protect kids on the internet now everyone of them have a picture of his penis..
    What can you expect from a liberal, democrat? Anyone that does not think he should resign, show as bad judgment as he did. Wonder why politician get away with murder. People keep them and vote them back into office.

June 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

Hey spike you are so right only thing is that we dont have to wait to elect a stupid man to lead the u s as we have one in the white house now plus he is a racist mutt but back to our friend weiner he just couldnt help himself he was being controlled by the wrong weiner head like most dumacrats

June 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. J3flyah

Quite simple: Weiner will fight for his job so as to not lose his large government pension. Nor does his now-wife want to miss out on what she would gain from the pension following their eminent divorce.

June 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret

Imminent, not eminent.

June 9, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. vet2640

All of you who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones. Let's see what the outcome is before you pass judgement on this legislator. As far as the "blogger" who said he will not release photos, watch your back son, "karma" may be nipping at your heels!

June 9, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jerri Hampton

He is a public servant and should conduct himself as such. How embarrassing for his wife. The last one of the one on the cell phone is appalling. If I were her I would get a divorce.Having my husbands private parts all over the web is something I could not accept. I would forgive him, but I wouldn't stay with him. Nothing like showing the world our dirty laundry. No wonder the world doesn't respect us anymore.

June 9, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dick N. Bush

What I do not understand is why he chooses to wear clothes at these press conferences. If he is so proud of his body, he should go au natural.

June 9, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. BMG

The sad thing there are so many other men and Congressmen like him – but he got caught –

June 9, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. BMG

Unfortunately, many politicians have moral deficiencies.

June 9, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |