Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open
“My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed,” golf star Tiger Woods said on his website.
June 7th, 2011

Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open

Tiger Woods' knee and Achilles tendon injuries will keep him from participating in next week's U.S. Open tournament in Maryland, a post on the golf star's website said Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said on his site. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed.

"I hope to be ready for AT&T National, the next two majors and the rest of the year."

Woods, 35, sprained his left knee and strained his left Achilles tendon while hitting a shot during the third round of the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, in April. Though he finished the tournament, tying for fourth, he sat out the Wells Fargo Championship and withdrew from the Players Championship in May after re-injuring his leg during the first round.

Woods' injuries are just the latest in a long string of left-leg problems, including a 1994 surgery for a benign tumor and a 2002 arthroscopic knee surgery.

In 2008, he won the U.S. Open while playing with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee and a double stress fracture to the left tibia, but had reconstructive surgery afterward, forcing him to miss the rest of the 2008 season.

Three of Woods' 14 major championships have come at the U.S. Open. He has 71 career PGA wins, but none since taking a brief leave from the game in late 2009 after admitting infidelity. Formerly ranked the world's No. 1  golfer, he last held the honor last fall, when his record run of 281 straight weeks atop the list ended.

Post by:
Filed under: Golf • Sports • Tiger Woods
  1. Terry Brookman

He is a wash out and one stupid MF.

June 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darlene

It's interesting, Terry Brookman, how your level of ignorance can be reflected in only one sentence. Obviously you are not in very good physical shape. Let me take a stab here. You are overweight and watch a tremendous amount of TV. Am I close here? Or.... You are unhappily married and lack the drive in life to perform above lessor than average expectations. Am I right? In short, TB, you are pathetic.

June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drome

Anal rotundum.

June 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yesurstupid

Yes...u r stupid

June 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbojones

OK, Mickelson, your CNN posting privileges are going to be revoked if you aren't careful. Honestly, couldn't you come up with a better alias than "Terry?"

June 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darlene

Thanks for your intelligence Rome and Yesurstupid. It appears that you are both from the same ilk. Sad. What time is it, boys? Time to get your life in order. Look at yourselves. Let me know if you want some help. I'm ready to get your s*** in order.

June 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. charlene

What is the world coming to when we let our children lie on there parents and get away with it.

June 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

What is the world coming to when people can't write complete sentences?

June 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

Exactly what are you saying?

June 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dean

Great news. He wouldn't win anyway.

June 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

That was sweet. Thanks for sharing your rememberances about Tiger – especially the part about his big John Deere.

June 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BugahaTood

Who?

June 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jonathan

Tiger while you're re-cooperating, why don't you sit back and read the bible where it says, "study to show thyself approved of God , a workman that needeth not be ashamed rightly dividing the Word of truth.. " I realize that you are not Christian, but if you read the bible you could at least understand why so many of us want to judge your life by what "we" believe..We mostly would rather watch you live your life than make a life of our own..Myself, I just like watching the same qualities that made Jack Nicholas and others who challenged the game to win if at all possible...You recent game has missed it's scrambling abilities above all else.... as one guy always puts it, drive for show, put for dough...but you probably got enough of that already.... so keep driving for show and Jack's record will stand.. 🙂

June 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bizguy

Tiger believes in Buddhism which is obviously a lot different from christianity but I like your comment.

June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yesurstupid

Bizguy, I like your comment...u r not stupid

June 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Triton1

I don't hate Tiger, but I'm glad when he's away from the game. The networks spend so much of their time and resources on just him that's it's irritating. Even when he's not winning, it's like it's The Tiger Woods Show, co-starring everyone else.

June 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bizguy

Very true...And he seems to be the only golfer that is obnoxious to the reporters (like the masters)..

June 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • maine golfer

Its nice to see that others can golf. for too many years its was Tiger even when he didnt win it was still tiger. got tired of him being interviewed and not the winner. Im a golf fan not a tiger fan

June 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • VA Golfer

tiger show – but thats ok, but no other golfer has won the way he has or as often over the past 15 years. No one comes close. If I'm not mistaken, he's third on the all time victory list(?). the tour needs this guy...

June 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

@VA...you are bang on.

June 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bizguy

That means he can have more party time. Maybe he can go out on the town with John Edwards and Arnold?

June 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • maine golfer

he was golfing better when he was cheating ...

June 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • bizguy

Yes he was, much better...You think it would have been the opposite trying to keep his stunts a secret..

June 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JBBad

That's great news!! The only thing better would be if Woods announced that he was hanging up his sticks for good!!!

June 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kenneth

I guess all you ppl who have commented must be judges! Cast the first stone if your without sin ppl! Tiger get well and come back and shut these ppl up with your play.

June 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Casey'sTawdryTalesOfConquest

Tiger was years older than me and lived on the street running parallel to ours. Tiger was an only child and had made a habit of exploring the neighborhood on boring summer days. We became fast friends, practically living in each other's houses. His father, Dave, was like a big kid, always making us laugh or taking us to the zoo. Or to the movies. Or bowling. Or into the city. They were constantly smiling even though their big Victorian house seemed a bit sad. Tiger's mother had died of ovarian cancer the year before we moved in, and he rarely talked about her. However he did develop a close relationship with my mother, who still, in my opinion, loves him more than her own children. I know I had other friends as a child, but I can't seem to recall doing many things with them. What I do remember the most are memories with Tiger: our secret handshakes, our adventures, our forts. And of course, one of the first movies his dad brought us to see -The Empire Strikes Back. By the time we reached the car in the parking lot it was settled. Tiger was Han and I was Leia, without the stilted acting or kissing. Secret handshakes soon developed into serious secrets and tent sleepovers in the back yard into camping trips with our friends on high school vacations. He had girlfriends and I had boyfriends, but I suspected my relationships were never as serious as his. The few boyfriends I had before Ben left for college had only kissed me. Nothing else. Throughout it all Ben and I were always friends. Just friends. However, it was hard to see him that way as we got older and he kept growing taller and more handsome. At his going away party the summer before he left for college our parents took a picture of the two of us together. Tiger had his arm around me and while I stood there like an awkward child. When he went away I would often look at the picture and stare at him. His strong jaw. His blue eyes. His nose with its tiny bump (a touch football game in junior high somehow got out of control). His dimples. His tan skin. His muscular arms and lean torso. By the time of the picture I had stopped growing once I hit 5'9, but he still towered over me, and his frame overpowered mine. The last night he was in town before he left for the Masters I let him plow my love field with his John Deere..

June 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

That was so sweet. Thanks for sharing your rememberances about Tiger – especially the part about his large John Deere.

June 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • iceandsnow3

I don't believe you.

June 8, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ziggy

Why all the judgement and negativity? There is no right and wrong in life, just choices, and for each choice we make there are consequences. There is no need to judge, just watch the choices you personally make every day.

June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

If "there is no right or wrong in life" as you write, then how can there be consequences?

June 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Doug Ericson

What a bummer. Golf is a bore without Tiger competing. I don't know why, but it is. Doug.

June 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the Laughing Prospector

I'm sure he'll be there for some other "OPEN" instead. Ha ha ha...burp...ha ha ha...burp... ha ha ha...burp...

June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paul

Frankly he should just walk away from the game. He disgraced himself and only brings disrepute to the game of golf. Perhaps he and Anthony Weiner, Bill Clinton, and Eliot Spitzer can get together once a week for a $100 Nassau.

June 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

That's right, Paul. Only Democrats ever have any shexual (sic) scandals. Where the he11 have you been? Mor0nic post.

June 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • iceandsnow3

Right on!

June 8, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. chgn66

Probably for the best. See if some of the young guns can gain traction with the media and help the sport, Tiger comes back stronger and then we have a big clash which is good for golf.

June 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casey'sTawdryTalesOfConquest

Clash?... like a swordfight?

June 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |