Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open
“My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed,” golf star Tiger Woods said on his website.
June 7th, 2011

Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open

Tiger Woods' knee and Achilles tendon injuries will keep him from participating in next week's U.S. Open tournament in Maryland, a post on the golf star's website said Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said on his site. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed.

"I hope to be ready for AT&T National, the next two majors and the rest of the year."

Woods, 35, sprained his left knee and strained his left Achilles tendon while hitting a shot during the third round of the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, in April. Though he finished the tournament, tying for fourth, he sat out the Wells Fargo Championship and withdrew from the Players Championship in May after re-injuring his leg during the first round.

Woods' injuries are just the latest in a long string of left-leg problems, including a 1994 surgery for a benign tumor and a 2002 arthroscopic knee surgery.

In 2008, he won the U.S. Open while playing with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee and a double stress fracture to the left tibia, but had reconstructive surgery afterward, forcing him to miss the rest of the 2008 season.

Three of Woods' 14 major championships have come at the U.S. Open. He has 71 career PGA wins, but none since taking a brief leave from the game in late 2009 after admitting infidelity. Formerly ranked the world's No. 1  golfer, he last held the honor last fall, when his record run of 281 straight weeks atop the list ended.

Post by:
Filed under: Golf • Sports • Tiger Woods
  1. Marine66

"Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open"
    Good, I doubt that there are very many that even want him there anyway.
    If he will miss the rest of life, we promise to not miss him.

June 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

wow.......so wrong you are. so wrong.

June 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yesurstupid

Yes..ur stupid

June 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swisstrader

Possibly the dumbest post I've read on CNN. Golf is back to being boring without Tiger. Quick, who's currently number one in the world? Better yet, who cares??

June 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbojones

Yeah, the self-righteous, indignant masses against who are against Tiger Woods far outnumber the "silent minority" of fans of the best golfer in a generation. You must be joking.

June 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • KZ3

Some people are just hateful.....and mean...it tell's u about their sad meaningless life....very uphappy and can't wish or foregive people, they wonder why people don't like being around them......we know why..

June 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Dip

oh my, how wrong you are – not only the fans, but his fellow golfers want him healthy and out there. You always want to compete against the best.

June 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • TW

People like u amaze me, i guess he slept with ur wife so ur mad? I just dont get it, if you like him u like him and if u dont u dont bottom line, just chill out no one wants to hear the negativity. It just doesnt make sense.

June 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Osama bin Laden

He seems to make a lot of sence to me my friends.

June 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noel

Face it man your sport is boring without the tiger. I don't like golf but tiger brought a lot of attention to the sport.

June 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

@ Swisstrader – Lee Westwood. Promise I did'nt cheat.

June 8, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

It's astounding the vacuous and illogical comments spewed forth by anti-Tiger-ists. Tiger perfect? No, who is? Tiger good for the game of golf? Without any possible doubt. He will be missed at the Open and here's hoping he recovers in time to compete in Britain.

June 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann Marie

Actually, I don't think Tiger is good for the game and I never did. Golf was always a gentleman's sport and along came Tiger with his swearing and slamming, his blatant disrespect for other players and the fans. Was he good to watch, yes, he has a tremendous talent but I never found his posturing and unsportsmanlike contuct to be beneficial to the game.

June 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noel

Agree Mike I don't watch golf but tiger made it interesting..even caught a few when he was playing.

June 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. denny

I agree with you Mike..I miss him..He is good for the game.

June 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jj

tiger WAS better when was cheating! dont know why but its the truth.

June 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Cheating?? When did Tiger ever cheat during a golf tournament? Where is your proof of that? Surely, you don't mean "cheating" in the parlance of marital fidelity. What does that possibly have to do with his golfing performance?

June 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casey'sTawdryTalesOfConquest

@Mike: he meant cheating on his wife. Everyone knows that sports are a metaphor for schmex. All about holes, balls and sticks.. when Tiger was getting it into many holes he was showing it on the golf course. Keep trying to confuse everyone and knock them off the scent. After all these years I see you for what you are and that's a one trick pony. You're far from bright.

June 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ervin Raab

Better to wait until the knee/body is healthy, then risk it and maybe cut a career short.

Ervin Raab

June 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CalDude

I believe he still has "it" to win majors.
    He needs to sit out the whole year and heal, both mentally and physically.

June 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

Hey, I saw the same story about Casey, except instead of "Tiger" it was "Ben", on another thread.
    This writer is profoundly....twisted.

June 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jellymon

Tiger will not win again, whether it be a major or not. He exposed himself as a complete and utter fraud.

June 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yesurstupid

Yes...ur stupid

June 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

I agree, better to let his injuries heal than to risk the rest of his career.
    Whatever I may think of him as a *human*, he *is* an awesome golfer.

June 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

@jellymon:
    In what way? Because of his marital infidelities?
    He is a fraud as a husband.
    As a golfer, not so much.

June 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jack

Tiger is becoming the Ken Griffey Junior of golf. He was the best athletes in his sport until injury (and other issues) sidelined his ascent.

June 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbojones

100% accurate! Oh, except that Griffey Jr never won a World Series or set any notable HR, batting avg, slugging avg, extra base hit, stolen base, fielding percentage, golden glove or any other records during his injury-plagued career. On second thought, your post is garbage.

June 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pat

Tiger makes the game. Even the players have no one to compete with, when Tiger is not playing..I have tried to watch the matches, but the enthusiasm is just not there. Hope he gets well and comes back with a vengeance.

June 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom Look

Woods is a disgrace to the game.

June 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbojones

No more of a disgrace than Fuzzy Zoeller, Ernie Els or Hootie Johnson. Hypocrites are a dime a dozen, as are morons, unfortunately.

June 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

jimbojones...Go ahead and name other players that, in their own way, disgraced themselves. That is fine. However, it does not take away from the fact that Tiger is a disgrace himself.

June 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. regit

Tiger was an unbelievable golfer, now he is little better than average. However, he remains a world class dirtbag.

June 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Yes. Yes, he is.

June 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fred

The game was more exciting when he was playing well. Now, in his mid 30's, his body is breaking down. Time waits for no man, and currently there are 5 -10 young guns in their 20's improving with each tournament. Even if Tiger comes back at full strength, he probably will never regain his invincible stature.

June 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Maybe Tiger was doing PED's as well. If he was in order to become stronger and stay "healthy" and is no longer on the drugs, could that be a contributing factor to his body falling apart? Who knows? Food for thought.

June 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |