Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open
“My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed,” golf star Tiger Woods said on his website.
June 7th, 2011

Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open

Tiger Woods' knee and Achilles tendon injuries will keep him from participating in next week's U.S. Open tournament in Maryland, a post on the golf star's website said Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said on his site. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed.

"I hope to be ready for AT&T National, the next two majors and the rest of the year."

Woods, 35, sprained his left knee and strained his left Achilles tendon while hitting a shot during the third round of the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, in April. Though he finished the tournament, tying for fourth, he sat out the Wells Fargo Championship and withdrew from the Players Championship in May after re-injuring his leg during the first round.

Woods' injuries are just the latest in a long string of left-leg problems, including a 1994 surgery for a benign tumor and a 2002 arthroscopic knee surgery.

In 2008, he won the U.S. Open while playing with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee and a double stress fracture to the left tibia, but had reconstructive surgery afterward, forcing him to miss the rest of the 2008 season.

Three of Woods' 14 major championships have come at the U.S. Open. He has 71 career PGA wins, but none since taking a brief leave from the game in late 2009 after admitting infidelity. Formerly ranked the world's No. 1  golfer, he last held the honor last fall, when his record run of 281 straight weeks atop the list ended.

Post by:
Filed under: Golf • Sports • Tiger Woods
  1. Dutch

He needs to be healthy mentally and physically before he comes back on the Tour. When you're Tiger Woods, you can't come out and play bad golf, which is what he was doing. That isn't good for golf or for Tiger. For those who think he's done, you're in for a surprise. He's too good and still wants to win.

June 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nomad

You are 100% correct Dutch. I gotta say though, I'd sure like to have Tigers bad golf game.

June 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shamrock6

He holds many records but if he stopped playing today and never played again there are two records that are simply otherworldy and will not be broken in the next 100 years. First, no one will EVER win the U.S. Open by 15 shots again. Never. Also, no one will EVER win the Masters by 12 shots again. Just not possible.

June 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

You forgot a record. No one would ever be able to reach the mark of 18 majors won by Jack Nicklaus.

June 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • STEVE PHX AZ

All true, however his legacy will be defined by the dozen or so adult actresses he dated and his lies and deceits, and he will not pass jack, and never say never....we NEVER thought this would be an issue, right

June 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nomad

Those aren't even his most impressive records. What was it? 254 consective cuts made. That will be tough to match.

June 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

600+ weeks at number 1 isn't too shabby either.

June 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. You All Need Jobs

I still don't get the love affair with Tiger. Is it because he's 1/3 black and therefore adds the feel good aspect to the game? Sports announcers go out of their way to point out he's African American when in reality he's more Asian than anything. I'd be insulted if I were Tiger. He's a great athlete, but I don't know why so many supposedly straight men have to tug on this guy's nutttts... who cares really? I've gotten far more scrutiny from people regarding my personal life and my mistakes than these celebs do and I'm not on tv pretending to be something I'm not. How many times did announcers call Tiger a "class act"? Lol This country has it's priorities backwards. Maybe we'd know the other golfer's names if the news reported them eh?

June 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • GrogInOhio

As Charles Barkley once told Tiger Woods... "Asian people don't get hate mail". The hate speaks for itself.

June 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • huh really

@groginohio: Everyone gets hate mail including Asians. Asians just don't cry about it on tv all the time. How many Family Guy episodes make fun of Asians? Compare that with how many make fun of blacks.. Blacks on TV are generally the new bogeyman that's coming to steal the white guy's gf. Lol. All African Americans on TV or music talk about is their Weiner, their wallet and how amazing they are. Obviously the history of this country is shameful in it's treatment of blacks, but really now it's overkilling the issue by stroking the ego of every black (or partially black) person on tv. Plenty of whites get hate mail im sure.. Tom Cruise? Lol c,mon.. I send Bill OReilly hate mail all the time and I'm white.

June 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swirve

I beg to differ about his accolades. He'd be just as revered if he was a white guy with that many wins (er, Jack Nicklaus). And you obviously don't follow golf very much as sports announcers rarely refer to him as AA.
      If you've gotten more scrutiny about your personal life, then I shudder to think of how more more mayhem you've been into. This guy got peeled to the flesh when the adultry story came out. Lastly, he's refered to as a class act because his playing partners observe his decent behavior on the course and have always considered him a guy they enjoyed playing with. And those fans who aren't trying to get an autograph in the middle of major tournament rounds while he's still heated from battle would say the same.

June 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KZ3

Tiger must be great, ....if he was average, u wouldn't talk about him...and hate on him so hard....u only confirm how much of an impact he is making on the sport.....and u will watch him, hoping he will fail....

June 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alpha

@KZ3: He obviously is a good golfer, but it's more of a media/corporate america driven sensation. People like him like to make themselves known. Like a guy that wants your wife so he tries to intimidate you even though he doesn't stand a chance. He will belittle you in the hopes that you will crack under his ponderous omnipotence. Lol It's all just stupid.

June 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Louis

Tiger, I guess your doctors forgot to tell you that steroids can weaken tendons.

June 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiger

I guess doctors forgot to snag you out of your mothers butt with a coat hanger before she could crap you out.

June 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Osama bin Laden

Now that is very very funny my friends ...... very funny

June 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

That is priceless!!!

June 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • STEVE PHX AZ

hey TW fans deal with the fact that most now regard him as a cheater

June 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

Like it or not, golf needs Tiger. I am not speaking to his personality or his outside of golf choices but to his once in a generation or two talent. Currently, the world number 1 has no majors under his belt and is about as marketable Chris Riley. I am a huge golf fan and I enjoy watching Luke Donald, but there is not too many of us as he does not appeal to the casual fan.

June 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ELH

No one, least of all Tiger Woods, is indispensable to any sport, game, corporation, state, nation, whatever. While you may no longer be able to bask in the glory of someone else's exploits, I can assure you that the world as we know it will probably continue apace.

Please get a life.

June 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

ELH – What part of this post got your panties to crawl up your balloon knot? Are you angry because you kissed your wife and tasted Tiger's manhood? Let it go man!

June 7, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Osama bin Laden

Hello USA it is me Osama.

June 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HR

His real problem is he is far too busy finding more women to screw – he is a has been – should be crossed off the tour – we don't want to watch such immoral people

June 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freddy

Yeah I bet you voted for Clinton as well because of his high moral standards. He is one of the greatest golfers in recent history and that no one can say other wise, but is he a saint? No man is without a little immoral thoughts or acts not even former President Jimmy Carter. Tiger plays golf and that is why I watch him. I do not watch him to see what he does off the course, because that is none of my business and it should be none of yours either.

June 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wmskadder

Listen Tiger hater's and LOVERS. This guy plays the "game" of golf. What a life huh!! He hasn;t found the cure for cancer to save anyone, he;s not in unfiorm putting is ass on the line 7/24. He plays a game for a living and makes millions and you lovers make him out to be the saviour of golf. Golf will go on without him. The damage is done Lovers, because of his indiscretions, he will never be in the class of Jack and Arney, never, repeat, never. The reason he was good for so long is because the other guys stunk and he was the best at the time. Well, life has a way of catching up. Woods is a has been, he;s had his time in the sun, as other atheletes do in other sports. He may win one down the pike and then all you "LOVERS" can shoot your mouth off and exclaim HE"s Back, Tiger is back. For those of you who say, it only matters what he does on the golf course. Well, I say this, character traits are with you 7/24, integrity, principles, honesty. I suppose you LOVER"S would be okay with him banging your daughter or smooching your wife, girlfriend, as long as he did it off the golf course.

June 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Osama bin Laden

Yes my friend .. you are right .. i think ... maybe not ... I am lost in your very long and boring post.

June 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • madeintheusa

WMSKADDER – perfect sir!!

June 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ELH

OK. Sports Illustrated voted him the 'Athlete of the Year' in 1996 and 2000. Come on Tiger, my man–suck it up and play with the pain, most of the "real athletes" do. Hell, you don't even have to carry your own clubs.

June 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Old White Fart

Truth be told we like watching dark skinned men put balls into holes. Basketball.... Love it! Baseball.. Love it! Yummy chocolate in my catchers mit

June 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ivory

Tiger was exposed in Nov of '09 for the fraud that he is. What's he done since then?

June 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jolly

Hmmm... That headline could also read Tiger Wood to Miss US Open... Get it? Miss? Oh, never mind...

June 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Beverly

Sorry, that Tiger will miss the US Open. He has had problems with his left knee for a while. He should take the time to heal, but something negative will be said about that.

June 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Louis

To "Tiger"–remember it is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

June 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiger

Louis, you really got to me. I want to apologize for my crude post. Now if you will forgive me I must go fornicate with your wife on your side of the bed. TIGER, OUT!

June 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |