Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open
“My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed,” golf star Tiger Woods said on his website.
June 7th, 2011

Tiger Woods to miss U.S. Open

Tiger Woods' knee and Achilles tendon injuries will keep him from participating in next week's U.S. Open tournament in Maryland, a post on the golf star's website said Tuesday.

"I am extremely disappointed that I won't be playing in the U.S. Open, but it's time for me to listen to my doctors and focus on the future," Woods said on his site. "I was hopeful that I could play, but if I did, I risk further damage to my left leg. My knee and Achilles tendon are not fully healed.

"I hope to be ready for AT&T National, the next two majors and the rest of the year."

Woods, 35, sprained his left knee and strained his left Achilles tendon while hitting a shot during the third round of the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, in April. Though he finished the tournament, tying for fourth, he sat out the Wells Fargo Championship and withdrew from the Players Championship in May after re-injuring his leg during the first round.

Woods' injuries are just the latest in a long string of left-leg problems, including a 1994 surgery for a benign tumor and a 2002 arthroscopic knee surgery.

In 2008, he won the U.S. Open while playing with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in the same knee and a double stress fracture to the left tibia, but had reconstructive surgery afterward, forcing him to miss the rest of the 2008 season.

Three of Woods' 14 major championships have come at the U.S. Open. He has 71 career PGA wins, but none since taking a brief leave from the game in late 2009 after admitting infidelity. Formerly ranked the world's No. 1  golfer, he last held the honor last fall, when his record run of 281 straight weeks atop the list ended.

Post by:
Filed under: Golf • Sports • Tiger Woods
  1. banasy

@ivory:

I know he's a cheater...
    That has nothing to do with his golf game...
    He cheated on his wife, sure.
    But he's a damn fine golfer.

June 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Childless

Too bad his knee injury and achilles tendon didn't keep him from cheating....

June 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Me

Oh damn! Wonder if he is stuck in someone.

June 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. huh really

Everyone gets hate mail including Asians. Asians just don't cry about it on tv all the time. How many Family Guy episodes make fun of Asians? Compare that with how many make fun of blacks.. Blacks on TV are generally the new bogeyman that's coming to steal the white guy's gf. Lol. All African Americans on TV or music talk about is their Weiner, their wallet and how amazing they are. Obviously the history of this country is shameful in it's treatment of blacks, but really now it's overkilling the issue by stroking the ego of every black (or partially black) person on tv. Plenty of whites get hate mail im sure.. Tom Cruise? Lol c,mon..

June 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Breed11

Lol where the hell is this commenting coming from? I don't see how the article has to do with the generalizations you're making about whites, blacks and asians, and the media? Don't read to much into things.

June 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm

Nice trolling. Now begone, dolt.

June 7, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • huh really

@breed11: I was trying to address a pervious poster that brought up Asians not getting hate mail. I was simply pointing out that everyone gets hate mail. He was quoting Charles Barkley, so I guess I shouldn't have responded. Not really trolling.. I think the term troll gets thrown about too much. Don't say anything about skin color or the blogosphere calls you a troll. Lol Simple fact is this.. Tiger Woods came from behind in one tournament to beat an asian golfer.. the media said he was the first non asian golfer to come from behind to beat an asian golfer.. google it.. lmao Everything about this guy is media fabricated fairy tails.. Can't we just watch golf without the Spike Lee moral being shoved down our throats? We don't need useless stats about race in sports. Thought everyone was equal eh? Lol Call me a troll.. It's the truth.

June 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • huh really

June 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

@Tiger:
    I guess it's not cheating when it's somebody else's wife your practicing your stroke on, right?
    Go get 'em, Tiger!
    LMAO!

June 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. turtle2430

BYE BYE YOU FREAK!!!

June 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

That's pretty mature. Even by mosts of these comments.

June 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CMoney

The only thing hurt on Tiger is his pride.

June 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dave

CNN how do you allow these posts they are ponographic in nature insulting and mean CNN world reputed organization

June 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • CNN

Freedom of speech...BEYATCH!!!

June 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Don't even try dave, go to every article and you'll see the losing battle. The maturity level is VERY low. I'm guilty of getting so upset I end up lashing out like an idiot until I get myself out. But take heart on the few who have if not insight, at least a little class.

June 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blain

Dave, this is nothing. Most of these posts are pretty harmless jokes. You should read the immigration articles. That's when all of the nice hard working American Nazis come out to play.

June 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Tiger Woods will end up as peg-leg the pirate if he does not soon face the reality that his poor knee cannot any longer continue to take the punishment of the sport of golf. Why doesn't he just stop hurting himself? This guy has severe emotional malfunctions at the junction.

June 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hope120

HE lost his mojo and he deserved it

June 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Louis

Tiger, thanks for proving my point–now, back to your cage.

June 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bruce

I think he is done. There were rumors that he was juicing and due to increased testing on tour he has given up the juice which has resulted in his body betraying him. As a famous golfer once said (Hogan?) Golf is a game played on a 5 inch course..the space bewteen your ears. Playing at that level must require an incredible degree of focus and fearlessness. I think he has lost those qualities in addition to his body being compromised. Just my opinion

June 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

-This Just In-
    TIGER BEATS WEINER

June 7, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Is this another rumor? Was he wearing latex at the time? Ooh.

June 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

Yipee-Ki-Yeah

June 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ProperVillain

Must be a new waitress at the local iHop...

June 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill Kosbee

Now you will get ready for the zim zam babady bibbady and you will take off your close like voo and vooomm and get ready for the most splendiferous pudding pop you have ever seen!

June 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |