Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a strict immigration law Thursday.
June 9th, 2011

Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a "tough illegal immigration law" Thursday morning, his press office said.

The bill is considered by both supporters and critics to be among the toughest in the nation, even stricter than controversial laws in Arizona and Georgia.

Under the new law, public schools will be required to determine the citizenship and immigration status of enrolling students through sworn affidavits or birth certificates.

Authorities will also be required to detain a person who they believe is in the country illegally if the person cannot produce proof of residency when stopped "for any reason."

Alabama businesses will  be required to use a database called E-Verify to look up the immigration status of new employees. The use of the database was recently endorsed after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on a separate Arizona immigration law.

It will  be illegal for Alabama residents to knowingly give a ride or transport an illegal immigrant or for a landlord to knowingly rent a property to an illegal immigrant.

Cecillia Wang, managing attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union's immigrants rights project, called the bill "outrageous and blatantly unconstitutional" in an interview with The New York Times before Bentley signed it.

Huntsville Times editorial: A law, mostly for Hispanics

FULL STORY
  1. SarahPalin

Way to go Alabama! We don't want those stinking people from the country of Florida to invade our country.

June 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Ha ha...

June 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bristoltwit

Can you pass me the buttered bacon ?

June 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • trigtwit...America's favorite tard baby

...drool...

June 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Krusty Klown

why didn't idiot Bush take care of this when he had both the house and senate on his side? anyway, i agree with the previous post about giving back the land to the Native Americans. i feel weird-ed out that i'm living on sacred land that belonged to somebody else. anyway, anyone with brown skin, beware!

June 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Patrick

Lets not jump ahead of ourselves. The law is both good and bad. All those crying that they have taken our jobs, what education and qualification do you have that a non english speaking illegal immigrant is taken ahead of you? Secondly, our own companies are moving out to these countries where they can find cheap labor. We all shop in walmaert and 90% of those goods are produced outside. So even if these illegal immigrants leave like we all want, these comapanies may follow them just because they want cheap labor. Its not an issue ot just shouting and crying fowl, Lets get realistic with the truth. How many of us will like to harvest fruits in the hot sun of California? Even those without college degrees? There is a whole lot that needed to be done about immigration and job security for the American citizen than just chasing after only low life illegal immigrants. Most of our IT is being run in India or by some chinese. Look at our universities, the Math, Physics, Chemistry and engeneering courses are being thought by immigrants most of whom cannot even speak English. Are these people also taking our jobs? Its time we fix the cause of the main problem and stop blaming others. I am happy about this law because it will expose how lazy, unskilled and uneducated most of us making the noise about illegal immigration are practically. God Bless America.

June 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jwarino

a job is a job and yes i have worke in the fields . not to proud to earn a liveing even a meager one .

June 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Celeste

Targeting small children for things they are not responsible for is disgusting. This law is racist. Everyone knows it's targeted towards Hispanics. None of you complain when a Canadian is in this country illegaly but you throw tantrums when they come here with nothing but hopes to escape the violence and poor economic status down South.

June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JL

Great response Patrick!!! so many ppl calling to take the "country back" -but back from who? unfortunately this bill, along with other post here sounds racist and full of hatred. ...

June 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dw

There are plenty of people to that work except they are collecting welfare!!! Eliminate welfare for those able to work and those jobs would be filled.

June 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • sportrocgirl55

@ Celeste, that is not true. When I was in Tombstone with my cousin who has blonde hair and blue eyes we were targeted by police, stopped and they questioned us. Asked to see DL to make sure we were citizens. The reason is because that area has a bad human trafficking ring there and also alot of Scandinavian illegals immigrants coming in through that area of Arizona. Also I have seen some of my Canadian friends be deported when their work card expired and they weren't allowed a new one. I watched as one of my good friends whole family was deported back to Korea. They had been here for years but never got nationalized. So no, its not racist and its not profiling either.

June 9, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael

@Bob Ramos – So, you're suggesting that illegals be allowed to remain here hassle free so you can exploit them for tax & SS benefits?

June 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Name*kyle

US border is like a home, we need to know who are coming and leaving. Please ID yourself, " If you live under this roof, you have to follow my rules, otherwise, you can leave." You do have a choose.

Californian

June 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sal

As much as I hate the republican party they are right on this issue. 

June 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

Thank you for your common sense. They only reason dems want illegals to have amnesty is for votes, that is pathetic.

June 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tim

Who carries a proof of citizenship everywhere? Well, I don't even if I am American. So if I am stopped, I can go to jail if I cannot convince that I am American ... crazy.

June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • skyder

Tim don't you carry a drivers license?

June 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

No, crazy is allowing our public schools to continue to be overcrowded and medical costs driven up by illegals using stolen SS #'s in ER's to receive medical services they never pay for. But hey, you don't feel the need to prove your citizenship? Fine by me – that means you won't be able to vote then.

June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Tim, go back to Woodstock and continue living the hippie dream.

June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. WVLady63

HOORAY FOR GOVERNOR BENTLEY!!!! Hopefully it will send them packing back where they came from! I am sick to death of paying taxes for these aliens! I can't afford health insurance but if one of them goes to a hospital, the hospital is forced to treat them because if they don't these illegal aliens can sue the hospital HOW IS IT THAT ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES WHO ARE NOT CITIZENS OF AMERICA AND HAVE NO RIGHTS, CAN SUE ANYBODY!!!! Curious as to why this can happen in OUR country????? Look who is in the White House and all of his bleeding-heart, liberal followers and you will find the answer!!!!

June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red Neck Liberal

WVlady,

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, since not all republicans are morons. You should wake up to modernity, however, and realize that not all liberals are bleeding hearts. I, for one, am tired of the online bile directed at an ideology that had been a force for a great deal of good in our country.

June 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. skyder

Cedar... I don't know about you, but EVERY time I've been stopped, I've been asked to produce an ID, proof of insurance, and in some cases, registration on my vehicle. I'm as white as can be, so what's your argument now?

June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Schroeder

We all were immigrants at some point in our family history unless you're american indian 100% so I'm sensitive to immigration to a point but my family came here LEGALLY. I read over this "controversial law" and there is nothing unreasonable in there that all states shouldnt be doing!! ACLU is just a bunch of hypocrits because when the issue is pro-liberal but a possible violation of people's rights then you never hear a peep out of them!

June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mustang 95

Way to go Dr. Bentley.
    It's time that we take our country back from the bleeding heart liberals and to put a stop to the invasion from mexico that has put such a stain on the resources of states like Alabama.

June 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John Smith

Awesome! Way to go Alabama!

June 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andre

It's funny all the problems we have in America just started two short years ago. Don't blame the President for twelve million illegal immigrants being in the country. Point the blame on those responsible,Bush was in charge for eight years and didn't do anything but tear the country down.

June 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MIK

1st most common case:
    (a) Hi, Where are you from? (b) I'm from Germany, Italy, and a little bit of Irish. (a) Wait a second but you were born here, correct? Aren't you supposed to be from North America? Do you know How to speak German or Italian? (b) Oh no I never been in Germany in my whole life... (a) Oh so why in first place you didn't say you were a proud American citizen? (b) I dont know...

2nd most common case:
    (a) Hey did you get a summer job? (b) No... no one wants to hire me because I don't speak Spanish, all those freaking spanish taking all our jobs... (a) Hey I got an application for you... is for Wendy's maybe you can give it a try (b)Oh hell no!!! I wont freaking work at Wendys and smell like grease all day long NO WAY!. (a) Alright I thought you were really looking for a job instead of playing video games all day long...

And I can go forever with more "real life cases"

June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • RHG

Exactly. It's all propaganda, if Spanish was really necessary every server would be speaking spanish. However, where are most of the Spanish speaking employees? In the kitchen. That job was open for anybody willing to work minimum wage, guess who were the only ones interested? Let's double the wage in the kitchen, and raise food prices 40% because some of you are too good fry a freaking egg. Low skill jobs will always pay minimum wage.

June 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jon

ummm....I guess that means Alabama is a desirable place to live and they have to create laws because people are breaking the doors down to get in there? Or, could this be politics to draw attention from something else going on there? I know, I'm sooo cynical.

June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Jon

Jon, have you ever been to Alabama? It is a nice place. They have beautiful rolling hills, mountains, expansive farmlands and wonderful beaches. They have the space programs and one of the most advanced research parks in the world. It may be hard to believe but the south isn't still living in the Civil War era. This state, right or wrong, at least has the guts to pass a law that addresses a known problem instead of passively waiting. Generalizing and assuming things based on your own opinion does nothing for anyone but confuse the facts.

June 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |