Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a strict immigration law Thursday.
June 9th, 2011

Alabama governor signs 'tough' immigration law

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley signed a "tough illegal immigration law" Thursday morning, his press office said.

The bill is considered by both supporters and critics to be among the toughest in the nation, even stricter than controversial laws in Arizona and Georgia.

Under the new law, public schools will be required to determine the citizenship and immigration status of enrolling students through sworn affidavits or birth certificates.

Authorities will also be required to detain a person who they believe is in the country illegally if the person cannot produce proof of residency when stopped "for any reason."

Alabama businesses will  be required to use a database called E-Verify to look up the immigration status of new employees. The use of the database was recently endorsed after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on a separate Arizona immigration law.

It will  be illegal for Alabama residents to knowingly give a ride or transport an illegal immigrant or for a landlord to knowingly rent a property to an illegal immigrant.

Cecillia Wang, managing attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union's immigrants rights project, called the bill "outrageous and blatantly unconstitutional" in an interview with The New York Times before Bentley signed it.

Huntsville Times editorial: A law, mostly for Hispanics

FULL STORY
  1. tet1953

Kudos to Alabama for having the guts. Hopefully more states will follow their lead, or national policy will catch up to it.

June 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

National policy was to rip off law abiding citizens.

June 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

Glad to see Alabama can stand up. It's pretty sad Texas who's on the front lines doesn't have the guts in Austin.

June 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I had my guts in Austin once. Never again.

June 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dr. OB

@save the u.s.–your arguments are all fallacious–illegals don't take our teens' jobs. It's just that the immigrants will work cheaper...if you're teenager wants to work for that wage, they can do so also (this keeps prices down, by the way)...the truty is you and I will NOT work for the same wages, but their cheap labor means you and I pay lower prives for fruits and for construction...They pay the same taxes we do (sales tax, tax on rent, etc.)–oftentimes, employers make them pay social security taxes which they will never collect on. They CANNOT receive welfare because they lack the English and the legitimate social security number to receive welfare. And you hate that they send remittances back to family members in Mexico who are starving and who can't make ends meet? If your family was starving, you'd do the same thing. Your views are myopic and racist. Diversity is a strength of this country, as is immigration. If legislators put forth a realistic path to legitimate citizenship the U.S. government would rake in millions of dollars in increased revenue.

June 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Don't confuse me with facts! Facts are so hard to understand. What did Paul Revere do again?

June 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

THIER ILLEGAL AND THERE ARE NO FUNDS TO TAKE CARE OF THEM LET ALONE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS DOWN DUE TO DISASTERS, Whats your argument ?

June 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

First, most of us don't care where illegals come from, we just don't care. You talk about all these taxes illegals pay but they don't ever come close to amount of money we spend on them and their children. And that's it in a nutshell; we don't have the billions of dollars to spend, schooling their children, medical and financial help and worst of all to house the criminals. You talk about farm jobs but more than 80 – 85% of the illegal aliens work at nonfarm jobs. They compete for jobs that our unskilled workers need and though they may keep prices low for some products they also depress wages. Just go and find out all the data on the cost benefit ratios done by non-partisan think tanks or groups and then see if what you say holds water. Now if you want to base your thoughts about illegal aliens on emotions then I can't compete with that nor do I want to.

June 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

How about learning how to spell. I agree that people here won't work for the wages that the illegals make, however instead of these teens and other adults who are on parole, probation, or teens sent to a juvenile facility, how about if the people on parole or probation or the teens instead of being sent to juvenile facilities be made do to so the work. As far as the illegals sending money back home because their families are starving, I get that, but how about if the illegals instead of fighting for rights over here, how about if they do it in their own country.
      I don't mind people coming into this country, as long as they are doing it LEGALLY. If they don't have to have an I.D., then when I get pulled over, why should I have to show an I.D.?

June 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Demun

@ Dr Ob. ...if they are picking our fruits and vegetables at such a low rate then why has the price of produce gone up almost 30% in 10yrs? Cause we have an influx of people that had not been accounted for because they are here ILLEGALLY...whats so hard about that word for people to understand, why don't you check out mexicos immigration laws and then say ours are bad...and as far this violating their "civil rights"..they aren't citizens of the states, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole civil rights movement was meant for american citizens to all have the same rights, not american citizens and ILLEGAL immigrants

June 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • juicedboutnothin

they get welfare for their kids, medical for the whole family if the kid is on aid, and i cannot receive medical help. even the father and all kids in the family get medical help. also, they get good jobs in california. they dont work in fields. and when they get hired they wont hire anyone but mexicans. knowing they are illegal. they refer their own when they get a job, and only mexicans will be the majority on that job before long. that is how they operate. and their children sometimes have no other choice but to join a gang. they need protection from other gangs to get from point a to point b. mexican immigration breeds gangs. and american citizens suffer. my children suffer. the quality of life goes down for us who live around them and are harrassed because we are not mexican. they are racist in nature all the time crossing themselves and burning candles .

June 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rick

Guys chill out! if the get arrested it will probably take them one or two weeks to come back!. If the reform goes in effect the will be forced to pay taxes not counting the billions of dollars the government is going to get for back taxes and fees for processing this illegals. Most of them come to work anyway, why not make them pay taxes and health care and if they have money left they can sent it to their families. also they will probably invest in real state to help the economy of this country because they are legal now. it doesn't help to write all this racist comments to get it out of you chest! there is no solution to this problem.

June 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

YOU SUCK.

June 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • tet1953

Oops, meant to put my reply here not its own post.
      Rick, the use of services and resources is not the only reason to stop illegal immigration. It is also unfair to the countless people who are waiting their turn legally.

June 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

U2

June 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. NPhxAz

I guess Obuma will not count on Alabama to vote for his re election either. Something tells me that suing Az might have done more damage to DC's illegal alien crusade that good. Especially since the Supreme Court seems to side with the vast majority of America in the spirit of law abiding patriotism for our citizenry- above the shameless whims of the indignant foreign insurgent thugs. Nice job Alabama. You are in the fine company of our majority of Americans. The others are sold out (or for sale) anyhow.

June 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tet1953

June 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • charmcityfox

Amen, tet1953! Ask LEGAL immigrants what THEY think.

June 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ed

I am really amazed just how racist liberals have become. Liberals are willing to accept endless illegal immigation from Mexico. What about the billions of poor people in all the other countries throughout the world that would also come here illegally for a better life but can't just sneek over the Mexican border. Seems liberals don't care about them, only illegal Mexicans. Why don't we just stop all illegal immigration to avoid the racism that it has created. Let legal immigration stop the racism and allow people from all over the world to immigrate here legally. It is the only American thing to do. Obviously we can't accept and support billions, that is why we need controlled legal immigration. Stop racism now.

June 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Liberals are racists. They drive waaay too fast. One almost ran me down. But I guess he missed!

June 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

It's not racist, IT's a money thing .

June 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • tet1953

Really, Ed? I'd say I am pretty liberal..I must be cuz I can't stand conservatives or tea partiers. Anyway, I consider myself at least somewhat liberal, and I am all for this law.

June 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • juicedboutnothin

mexicans are the biggest racists. only hire their own. and aint nobody workin no dam fields. they have good jobs.

June 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I can see mexicans from my back yard. Or was that russians? Anyway those mexicans are really not that big. Most are pretty short.

June 9, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Emma independent voter

Calling people from the South, or from a particular State racists, bigots, hillbillies, etc. does nothing to prove your point. Calling ALL southerners racists is nothing more offensive than calling all hispanics illegal, all blacks gang bangers, all whites trash, etc. Believe it or not, Alabama and other Southern states have blacks, whites, hispanics, Koreans, native american, christian, jew, agnostics and so on. The way people make it sound – is a bunch of rich white guys go to church every day, slap a couple of black kids on their way, then grab some hispanics on the corner and make them paint their house for $ 1.00 per hour while they sit around and swim in their big pool of money! Come on people, grow up. I am sick to death of people pulling out the race card regardless of the side you are on.

June 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

If you are "sick to death" don't count on Medicare. Health care is only for the rich like me.

June 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • pdd3517

Thanks Emma! As someone who grew up in the South, I also am tired of the assumption that Southerns are ignorant and racist. Honestly, I've met far worse in the Mid-West where there is less diversity.

June 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheryl

Kudos Emma

June 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg Kells

I was all set to move to Alabama until you told me that. Seriously though, I've lived in South Carolina and Ohio, and I have to say there is far more racism in Cleveland than in Charleston. Cleveland is still split right down the middle East side black and West Side white, it's far more segregated than anywhere I saw in the south. I can't speak for all of the south, but Charleston and Savannah and all the other cities I spent time in were very culturally diverse and integrated.

June 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gloria

What about the kids who are born to illegal immigrants that automatically become citizens? If we deport the parents does that mean the kids become orphans?

June 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

When I'm president, I will create a law to call all illegals' orphans Annie. That's a good name.

June 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

That applies to law abiding citizens.

June 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

Do we not sometimes put both parents in jail? Does that mean their kids are orphans? You make it sound like it's all or nothing when there are kids involved. You know as well as I do the kids can go with their parents if they want them to. And if you say 'but that's not their country' as I have heard said, I say this isn't their parents country either.

June 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

THEY KNEW IT TOO, but they want ignorant so their not held liable while they get their names in a history book

June 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Every time I "want ingnorant", I look in the mirror.

June 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

If the parents get deported they should take their children with them. I am one who believes that just because a woman makes it over the border before giving birth....should not make their child a citizen! If I was pregnant and visited france and had to give birth there....my child would not be a french citizen!

June 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anne

Gee! Maybe if this would happen in every state the politicians would have to take out their own trash, pick up their own dry cleaning, wash their own cars, help their wives keep their homes clean, raise their kids themselves and drive themselves places instead of having limos at their disposal to take them everywhere and their kids would have to go to public schools like regular kids. And those Real Housewives would have to become just that REAL HOUSEWIVES who do all off the domestic work in their homes themselves and raise their own kids too, rather than relying on other people, most of whom are probably ILLEGALS to do it for them. Now that would be funny. LOL!!!

June 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Annie. Are you an illegal's orphan?

June 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • skyder

I'm not sure about you Anne, but what you described is EXACTLY how things are done in my house

June 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

That's how it's done in my house also, it's called house work. Get Off you A** and do some!

June 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Matt

To all of the people that do not live here in Alabama, none of your comments really mean anything. We actually have a governor who stands up for his state. And to the people saying," never been there and never will" we don't want you here.

June 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I'm all for not wanting to go to your country. But can I still count on you for my votes?

June 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

WTH are you talking about?

June 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |

Thank you.

June 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheryl

Seems like SP may be an escapee from a group home or psychiatric ward.

June 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

So why does the media keep following me around?

June 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • NPhxAz

You guys are well supported by the vast majority of Americans. Tell the whiners to pound a bucket or two of jumping beans in hell. That's what we tell em'.

June 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joy

THANK you from CA for signing that tough ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION BILL..now maybe Jerry will follow suit! (Although I highly doubt it, b/c CA is OWNED by illegals already!)

June 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

No. California is owned by rich people "who own illegals". Get it right please.

June 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Schmoe

California is owned by communists who steal money from legals and give it to illegals.

June 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

That feakin monk Jerry, is full of crap too.

June 9, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • NPhxAz

Yeah, we know.

June 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Schmoe

Why are they called illegal? Can someone tell me what that means?

June 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

It means that us rich republicans can hire you as slaves and you can't do anything about it. Now go get me another drink Conswelo!

June 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • theyarefu

Real smug, a$$wipes.

June 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

I'm going to call my next kid Charmin.

June 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChuckinBama

Schmoe – Is that a real question or sarcasm? Because I think there are plenty of ignorant people who don't know because they've had the wool pulled over their eyes for years by the bleeding hearts. They are illegally here - they are breaking the law. It's a shame that we have to put another law in place saying "it's OK" to enforce the ones already on the books.

June 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Is that you Joe? Joe the plumber?

June 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

Shhhhhhhhh! Chucky. Not so loud with the "bleeding heart liberal" stuff. Jesus is a bleeding heart liberal. We don't want those liberals to find out that us republicans don't believe in the teachings of Jesus. You know....the part about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, healing the sick, sheltering the homeless, giving to the poor, and taking care of the earth. We need to get the religious right people to vote republican. Religious right......now that's an oxymoron (or maybe just remove the oxy part). So keep it quiet. Thank you.

June 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Greg Kells

There's an awful lot of misguided comments about how we are all illegal immigrants, and that we stole this land. Did the Clovis people sprout up from the soil here? The ancestors of the "Native" Americans came here via land bridge from Asia. There were people here before they got here as well. Every single bit of land on this planet has been conquered, most of it several times. Once a nation is established and for as long as it exists, it creates the law of the land. Right now the law is being blatantly ignored, and this is a step in the right direction. Nobody is saying you can't immigrate, you just have to do it legally or get deported.

June 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • SarahPalin

You are right! Now lets offer "free land" to settlers of Iraq and Afghanistan. When I'm president I will make you my foreign policy consultant.

June 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave Francis

One of the largest public outlays for illegal aliens is paying for the education of the children of those illegal residents. This cost is borne largely by state and local governments. In the 1982 Supreme Court Plyler v. Doe 5-4 ruling, states are forbidden from denying K-12 schooling to these children. Many of them are born in the United States and are considered to be U.S. instant citizens. But akin to their foreign-born siblings, they would not be in the country and a burden on the US taxpayers if their parents were not illegally squatting in the United States. The State of Alabama costs estimated by (FAIR) Federation for American Immigration Reform in 2005, as $34 million annually and siblings $48 million annually, offering a monstrous consequence that is traumatizing all taxpayers nationwide. The Heritage Foundation projects that over 300.000 babies, come to America across the borders or through ports of entry at airline terminals.

These projections are based on the US Census estimate of illegal immigrant household population. Boding well to stop this inclement illegal alien invasion, is for a mandated perpetually upgrading of E-Verify. This is considered by immigration enforcement, a strong deterrent that will be eventually a 100 percent accurate. We cannot listen to naysayers who are mostly for the open border organizations and the very Liberal press. It is most likely that E-Verify will sometime soon be using state picture Drivers Licenses for identification of the employee, along with the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form.)

Very few states are not straining under cavernous budget meltdowns, as schools throughout this nation are facing some of the most momentous decreases in state education funding in decades. In the majority of states, drastic cuts mean pink-slips for teachers, bigger class sizes, fewer textbooks, and at the same time cutting sports, special projects, and downsizing for after-school activities. Attrition through enforcement or Self-deportation seems to be the only way to whittle-away of the huge masses of foreigners entering America illegally. Education, Health Care and welfare, cash payments and other public services are not only comparable to the amount of money, spent to support overseas war, but is FAIR projection of $113 billion dollars a year from the federal government, this no way influences the sums of money spent to in pandering to the illegal immigration occupation. More of these dollar figures can be substantiated by going to FAIR’S website.

Under the empowerment of either the Republican or Liberal-Democrat leadership we cannot assume that illegal immigration will be brought under control? Only the TEA PARTY—public power can alter this wrong direction for us all and place America back on the right track. The American people who jobless need to contact their federal and State Representatives to insist they enact mandatory E-Verify for every State, at the Senate—202-224–3121/ House—202-225–3121.

June 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sandie

If a company in this country was successful because it hired illegals on the cheap then shame on them. So, they SHOULD be out of business if the illegals were deported. God forbid if a business owner had to reduce his profit to run his business legally! Wise up America. The steal your child's seat in the classroom, your son's job. They are a big part of the reason why health insurance is so expensive. But hey, let's welcome them with open arms. Yeah, right. When my grandparents came here they were given NO special treatment, had to learn the language, and even had their last name changed................they are rolling over in their graves now. How unfair to my ancestors who worked hard and did it the RIGHT way!!

June 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |