Overheard on CNN.com: Treasure trove of emails?
June 10th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Treasure trove of emails?

Comment of the Day:

“Sounds like a treasure trove of new material for Tina Fey.”–DO1812

E-mails: Palin moved to tie oil scandal to ousted rival

In response to a 2008 Freedom of Information request by CNN and other news agencies, Alaska officials released six boxes of former Gov. Sarah Palin's e-mails. Some messages, so far, show Palin trying to link her defeated predecessor, Frank Murkowski, to a key figure in a corruption case. The emails will be available over the weekend on CNNPolitics.com and readers are invited to examine them and contribute to the discussion.

gdouglaso said, “No, make it stop. As much as I deplore the thought of future things she has to say, how much time, energy and effort will now be completely obliterated ‘analyzing’ her previous comments. Wouldn't we all be better off ignoring her and helping the homeless, planting a garden, grabbing a beer?"

GAK62 said, "I'm definitely not a fan of Sarah Palin, but I think it's getting kind of tacky and insipid how the media wants to look into everything a politician writes in an e-mail or on twitter."

JJNOLA said, "But there may be illuminating emails that highlight her abilities. Are you suggesting that that's an impossibility?"

Meora said, "So according to this Freedom Act, even 'private email account' is something the media can view? That doesn't make sense. It's called private for a reason. I think that is as low as the media can go, nitpicking through old emails."
RedandWhite replied, "She lost her rights to privacy the second she stepped into public office and stored her emails on a publicly owned database. If Romney's emails were being released today, I'm pretty sure CNN would cover that too."

GSMITH4124 said, "When Sarah Palin becomes president you all are going to hear a lot from her, get used to it." Phattee said, "Sorry bro, she's not going to run. It would mean a huge increase in responsibilities and a huge decrease in income." blueduck13 said, "I agree, and as a conservative, I hope so."

The other E.coli threat? Raw milk

In the wake of the E.coli threat in Europe, the U.S. would be wise to ban raw milk and juice, writes Alex Berezow, Ph.D in microbiology and editor of RealClearScience. He writes that outbreaks from raw milk are relatively common, citing the following FDA statistics: 85 outbreaks of human infections 1998-2008, in which more than 1,600 people were infected and two people died.

Many CNN.com readers didn’t think the writer’s statistics supported his case. KevyOC said, "In 10 years 2 people died from consuming raw milk so all unpasteurized products should be banned?" Guest said, "And can we find out how many people died, during the same time, from FDA approved drugs?" DCM5150 said, "In that same time period roughly 500 people died from lightning strikes. Perhaps the government should ban thunderstorms."

DCM5150 said, "There should be no problem with selling raw milk and juice as long as it is labeled. Lots of people are killed every year by medication that the government has declared safe. We 'allow' people to do all kinds of things that are risky. Should the government ban swimming, driving, flying, standing, taking a shower, hiking, biking, sports?"

jahf said, "I concur. It is my choice. If I lived near enough to an organic dairy farm where I could meet the producer I would drink raw by choice just as my farming great grandparents did. Would I do it from any farm I'm not within close distance of or from people I don't know? No. But the government should NOT be stepping in to ban my ability to buy it ever."

BigMamaS said, "What a crock of liberal, big business propaganda. I have been drinking legal, raw milk for years.  It is tested for bacteria content and, continually, has significantly LESS bacteria than is allowed in pasteurized, factory-farmed milk."

Guest said, "A more sensible approach (than government restriction) is to regulate agricultural practices that lead to widespread, unnatural bovine infection with E. coli and other pathogens.  Putting cows on a more natural diet would be a good place to start."

JohnDrake said, "Folks, if you want to find out where Berezow’s loyalties lie, just visit his blogspot. He's against environmental activism and preventing and halting the spread of GMO-laden products; he is pro-nuke and he ridicules anyone concerned about the spread of radiation from Fukushima."

But some readers thought drinking raw milk wasn't worth the risk. jweller13 said, "Looking at it from a skeptical point of view I haven't seen any convincing scientific evidence that raw milk provides any benefit.  The risks of unpasteurized mile however are well know and evident.  Personally I would never take that type of risk with my kids."

Glass staircase not dress friendly

A story about a $105 million courthouse in Franklin County, Ohio, with a "glass staircase" had many airing their complaints. A guard has been installed to warn those in dresses that they might be on view from below. Cat Kenny said, "Have these people never heard of translucent film? It's often used on bathroom windows to block the view but not the light. Might I suggest that the members of the crack team of architects that came up with the peek-a-boo staircase come back and apply some film? Men (throwing up my tiny, girly hands in disgust)!"

Dead Man Blogging said, "She speculates that 'men, who didn’t take half the population into account, designed the stairs.' Oh, yes they did. I'm guessing this was all part of the plan. Politicians may be stupid, but architects generally are not."

But other CNN.com readers said it was a nonissue because only the risers, not the treads, are glass. Sara said, "I've seen them with my own eyes. The actual steps are opaque. It would definitely be an issue if they were clear, but they aren't." Wendy said, "It offers no more opportunity for up-skirt peeping than any open-riser staircase, which are hardly a rarity. Tempest in a teapot, and much ado about nothing. Slow news day in Ohio, is it? It would be completely different if the actual steps were made of glass or another transparent material."

Still, the story gave many readers a chance for a laugh. bee said, "There goes wearing my kilt to court..." Mark said, "I know right where I'd sit and eat my lunch."

Legal Briefs said, "Well I know every time I'm feelin' hot and bothered, I race on down to the courthouse to scope me some lawyer and judge underwear. I can't think of anything more stimulating than looking up the skirts of middle-aged women who make a living arguing."

krow101 said, "As part of the vast male conspiracy I want you women to know that I told them not to do it." hingedlwnb said, "Yes, the New World Order 'Global Domination For Dummies' book says that one of the first tasks is to get everyone riled up about glass staircases in public buildings. Oops. Have I said too much?"

1. Randy

Wow! A new low for CNN. You continue to amaze me with your unending bias. How about going after the "Weiner" memos or John Edwards. You guys are a joke. A bunch of sniping losers.

June 11, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Thomas

Don't care about this...

June 11, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. steveflesher

Here's the real narrative and how it wiped out narrative of the media:

Sarah Palin knew by the end of the 2008 campaign with the onslaught of multiple ethics violations she met upon her return to Alaska that she was a massive star within the grassroots and that she and her accompanying energy was to be feared by establishment politicians on both sides.

She purposely allowed the media and her critics for two years to paint their narratives, to scream them from the rooftops, knowing that by the time the e-mails would be released, it would be 2011 one year before a presidential election.

Meanwhile the critics are salivating thinking she had something to hide. A smoking gun if you will.

The emails get released and suddenly, she's portrayed as a hardworking governor very active in military issues, energy policies, and budget issues.

This COMPLETELY destroys the narrative set up by her critics and enemies.

In others words, Sarah Palin has outsmarted the people who've been calling her an "idiot" for the last three years.

June 11, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

WRONG, BIG TIME WRONG!

First of all, Dear Sarah could not plan 2 days ahead.

Secondly, I'd really like to be reading the 2,300 email NOT released, because of some sort of CREATED secrecy rule!

June 13, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

This kind of query is another indicator on how distracted and embarrassing this country has become. What a waste of resources.

June 11, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Johnny

Palin favors displacement of Palestinian land owners, so Israeli settlers can grab more free land.
    Can we trust this woman?

June 11, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cameron

You dems are soooo pathetic trying to make something out of nothing. My god, you would stop making yourselves look so damn petty if you focus on your liberal issues. Oh wait, no one wants your liberal agenda so the only thing you have to go on is dreaming up things and bashing republicans. My god, you dems and libs need to really get a grip on reality.

June 11, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • effelbee

Your comment has what, exactly, to do with the emails released according to Alaska law (and heavily withheld and redacted)? They are quite dull, I am certain, and liberals have been responsible for virtually all of the progress in this country since its founding. Your generalization unrelated to the article is just silly.

June 11, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. RRRlas

Who honestly cares? Why would anyone find interest in such stuff and why only Sarah? Perhaps all of our emails should be available to public domain? This country is going to sh_t, unfortunately.

June 11, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Howard

I am not, by any means, a fan of Sarah Palin but I am also not a fan of witchhunts!! It seems that the dirtier the information on someone–the higher the interest! Duh–no kidding! What I'm saying is that all this is doing is keeping her in the front of the news when everyone would like her to just go away!!!

June 11, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Miguel

Can the left get any more pathetic? I'm no fan of hers, but please, enough is enough. You hate her, we all get it. This is just embarrassing.

June 11, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

This is just tooooo gooood you left wing libbies cant do a dam thing but dig and dig and dig and still theres nothing to find against sarah and your boy the racirst pig obama just keeps slippin and slippen and slippen the closer we get to the prize the election the closer sarah gets to the white house and you libbies cant do a dam thing about it

June 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jean Sartre

I want to see the 2, 300 pages that were NOT released...

June 13, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. Marsha

It is a shame that the media is looking to slam Sarah Palin. I wish the media would of checked out Obama more and believed the FOX NEWS Channel about this man. Then maybe they would not be in the shape we are now. I wonder if anyone read Obama's book about his father. He is doing exactly what he wrote about his father beliefs, to break America you have to break the financial system which is what he is doing. Flooding farm lands is putting us thru food shortage, so on and so on. We need to depend on our own resources and get away from the other countries. Obama never needs to apologize for the United States of America. I love America and any one talks against her needs to be dropped off in China since they love socialism so much, or even better Iran. People need to wake up, I do not Obama as my king, do you?

June 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sylvia peterson

USA Medical / Business / Consumer Opt in Email Marketing Lists

Package deals for multiple lists, prices as low as $20 each list. Contact me for more details and samples: sylviapeterson@gmx.us

June 16, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |