New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I support Weiner.
    Leave him alone.

June 11, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

are you a jock-strap?

June 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phoenix05

Forget about catch name "The Trump". "The Weiner" fell in my Mac and Cheese. "The Weiner" was wanting to tour my fudge factory. I can go all day.

June 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith

I tend to agree with you, Joey. With your obvious double standard, you people deserve a sleezeball like him.

June 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • roshev32

Keith, what do you know about Joey's "obvious double standard"? Do you know what position he took in other similar situations? I also question your use of the "sleazeball". The House leadership threatens to cause economic chaos by not raising the debt ceiling unless they get their own way. I can understand why you don't like Weiner, but at least he is not that kind of sleazeball.

June 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ernest

Good for you! There is a difference in lying to protect one's privacy (and/or family) and lying to cover up a crime or act of corruption. Bill Clinton survived it with Monica and so will Weiner if he hands in there!

June 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • DoubleStandardDems

roshev32

You should watch who you call sleazeball. If you remember, Obama was one of those sleazeballs that DID vote not to raise the debt ceiling, but I guess thats ok now that he said he regetted it. Double standard.

June 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

time to release the pressure on this Weiner.

June 11, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. norm arendt

Will be interesting to see if the Democrats have any ethics in dealing with Weiner. He should either resign or be forced by the Democratic party to resign. This would be headlines if he was a Republican. But obviously this is accepted behavior in the Democratic party.

June 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

Vitter...cough cough...

June 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • JN

Riiiiiiiight norm. x2 *cough* Vitter.

June 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judith M

How quickly the GOP forget their transgressions and how often they've stepped all over the so-called 'Values Voters'.

June 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phoenix05

He should be forced into a name change.

June 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Well Norm, lets see. Vitter was on "Madams" list and he was getting a "best customer discount" but that is OK he is one of those people who has a listed "family and moral value standard" , for others

June 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Duh.... this headlines, its been on the front page of virtually all newspapers, and the lead stories on countless news casts. And by the way its the Republicans that are so Judgmental and holier than Thou, that's why their do as I say, not as I do, politicians are so harshly criticized. Judge not, lest Ye be judged.

June 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jrod13206

Who cares

June 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Oh, Ruffie.
    *Facepalm*

I agree, JIF, he shouldn't resign.
    I would say the same exact thing no matter what party he was affiliated with. What he did is a bit icky, but not quite in the same league as what some of our other have been caught doing.

Enough, already!

June 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rachel

Everything in your private life represents your maorals and values K9 Advantix

June 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Judith M

If only this was the worse thing a politician had ever done to this country. Come on people and the absurd media: get them for the REAL abuses... the ones that are destroying this country!

June 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kim

I think he should stay... He is about the only one that really gives a damn and fights for what's right!!! Most of them just fight because
    They hate what the other side would like!!! The whole bunch except for a few (wiener included) aren't for the people just for the next vote!!!!!

June 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laurie Alex

Enough of all the rhetoric, theories, polls, etc taking up time on all the newscasts, broadcast and cable. The truth is and everyone knows it.. Anthony Weiner is a skinny wirery NY guy who wants the world to know ( as see as proof) that he has a big weiner. This chould start a whole new dimension in social networking, ie , in addition to one's credentials for education, work experience, height , weight, eye color, etc, size in this area could be manumental...err, I mean monumental!

June 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Leslie

Don't have a problem with hime being a perv...have a problem with him being a liar! Little men can't tell the truth...worthless!

June 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bf

Wait, so people think Weiner should resign because of inappropriate activity with women using social media, but Clinton can get head in the oval office and other than lying under oath, no one thought he should resign...

June 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gimme a break

CNN.. Enough is enough.. What he did is aweful.. But that's totally between his wife and him.. He IS a voice of common people.. He needs to stay as a congressman.. BTW, CNN shd stop behaving as a tebloid and start reporting the news that matters...

June 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. okerry

Here's the real problem with Weiner's Wiener Shots, and I'm surprised the TV news isn't talking about it more:

Even if you care nothing about the damage done to his family, it's obvious that this man was absolutely desperate to keep his dirty little secret. As a member of the U.S. Congress, that leaves him wide open to blackmail from everything from outright terrorists to garden-variety crooks who want to buy his vote.

And if that wasn't enough – his WIFE, who is now PREGNANT, works directly and closely with the U.S. Secretary of State! Depending on how much this (now pregnant) woman wanted to keep her marriage together, she would have been a prime target for blackmail as well.

If nothing else, leaving himself wide open to the blackmail factor should be enough for this clown to lose his job.

June 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • onepartypolitics

Thank you Thank you Thank you for that important insight. He must resign because of that and that only. When the word gets out to congressmen/women that their personal misconduct is a quick way to loose their position, then we shall see serious men and women on both sides coming together for the good of the people. I wonder how long they had this scandal on Wiener before going public. Wasn't it Bush who said "Zero" tolerance; well in these cases I must agree.

June 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nyc

How do you blackmail someone when the secret about that person is already out?

June 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. debbie

I feel so sorry for his wife that is pregnant and has to deal with all this other crap! She can't even enjoy her first months of finding out that she is going to be a mother. So very sad. And it seems that he waited a long time to find the right woman (or was he married before) and now he can't even be with a very intelligent and beautiful woman for a year and be completely faithful to her. Sickens me. Not even one year. But should he resign from all the good that New Yorkers feel he has done for them (I don't live there and have never followed his career, but it appears that he is well loved)? I don't think so. But he definitely should apologize in open session and apologize to his party for the stupid stupid mess he alone created. And he should go the way of Kobe Bryant and buy that woman a rock!

June 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@Keith:
    Double standard?
    Joey is REPUBLICAN.

How, exactly, does "double standard" apply in this case?

June 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |