New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. bezerkur

just another example of big brother. still, being in public office doing stuff like that he should of known better. treatment? really? really?

June 12, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. jim

It's too bad people see this as a minor infraction..It is not the tweeting that is the problem it is hs bold, finger in your face lying, is the problem, New Yorker's should be thinking about. His tweets with adult women is no big deal to most people, left or right.. It may be salacious but so what? His inability to stand there like a man and admit it BEFORE LYING FOR 10 DAYS, CALLING REPORTERS TO THE OFFICE TO LIE SOME MORE etc... That is the issue.. The guy has to step down , rehabilitate himself and try to come back in a couple years although liars are usually liars all around and redemption will be hard outside of the silly state of NY, he may be able to pull himself up and get reelected. Which is too bad because I despise his politics. Both sides are guilty of this sort of thing but the lying is more important than the act.

June 12, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Just My Thoughts

Weiner is bloodied and bruised. This is the best thing to happen to the GOP in a long time.

June 12, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Blackbeered

Compared to Sen Chuckie Schumer, Weiner is first-class.

And why hasn't Chuckie removed his head from the hole he keeps it in to support his esteemed colleague?

June 12, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Scarf

The perverting liar is an "esteemed colleague and class act" like Casey Anthony is Mother of the Year. Schumer is like any other human with a clue, common sense and at least some morality in that they want nothing to do with the stooge who is a "dead man walking" for any political office. The Dem leadership wants nothing to do with this creep which is why they are justifiably throwing "tweet-a-stiff" under the bus where he belongs.

June 12, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Blackbeered...who cares what "somebody else did". Most teenage kids have sense enough not to send explicit photos over the internet, so what can this possibly say about Mr. Weiner's decision making capabilities..that perhaps they're less evolved than a teenager, and you want this individual making decisions for the country. Seems odd to me.

June 12, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. NewYorker1

To everybody judging Rep. Weiner, get back to your glass houses and lock the doors, we're coming with rocks! Has anybody heard of John Ensign, Mark Foley, or David Vitter??? Look them up, you'll be surprised what you find about your sitting senator. He sent pictures of his privates to a few adult women, so what! People do that and worse on a daily basis. Hyprocrites. What about the women that knew he was a married man, but yet continue to correspond with him? They not only corresponded with him, but they saved their conversations with Weiner, for what purpose one must wonder. Maybe these women had a hidden agenda from the beginning.

June 12, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Moe

Bottom line is ALL politicians should be beyond reproach. If they join in the moral decay like the dregs of society, then what does that say about those who want them to continue as their representatives?

June 12, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • RealTime

You're a typical New York pervert supporter.

June 12, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You are so right.

June 12, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

It never ceases to amaze me how people today, like NewYork1, so easily excuse away behavior like Mr. Weiners. Pointing fingers at everybody else except the individual who performed the deed. If I read NewYork1 correctly, the finger is not pointing at some of the women, college age, who received elicit pictures without any prompting on their part. It never dawns on celebrity gawkers like NewYork1 that Mr. Weiners behavior is odd, abnormal and combined with his clear effort to lie his way out of it is not the type of behavior a country should support in it's politicians, but of course we saw new york continue to support Rangel, so why should we be surprised at the naiveté displayed by NewYork1.

June 12, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Scarf

NewYorker1 – I don't know what rock you crawled out from under but I do not know and do not associate with anyone who would who would even have a photo of their tool. People I know would not be stupid enough to sent a photo of their tool to anyone period. As such, I can throw all the rocks I want with impunity because I do not live in a perverting glass house. Got that?

June 12, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike McConnell

Special Trust and Confidence. How can he still have it? Held to a higher standard. That is a component that New Yorkers seem to not understand.

June 12, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Realist

Moe, so why just politicians? How about everybody? Americans look in the mirror and start with numero uno. Let's all be held to a higher standard so we can again start raising the bar of expectations. Parents raise your kids the right way so we can someday have a better society based on honesty, respect and morality. BTW not the kind of morality proposed by the far right hypocrates.

June 12, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Sully

You along with the rest of us are PAYING HIS SALARY during his "leave of absence". It's ridiculous. He cheated on his wife, lied about it, got caught lying, and then took a "leave of absence" to run away from the problem all the while we are paying for this. Representing others is a job that has higher standards. His moral fiber is weak and tarnished. Sure, I'm positive there are thousands out there just like him but they aren't representing others. He needs to resign..period.

June 12, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Skxawng

It seems that the press is deliberately fixating on the photos and NOT saying much about the week of lies told by this guy. A congressman showing his privates on the internet is buffoonery. Lying about it is an unconscionable ethical violation. There is a difference, in case you missed it

June 12, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. April

I think he should stay because he actually seems to care about the people.

June 12, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike McConnell

You bet. He cares so much that he is willing to lie to them about something many of you think is no big deal. What is you level of trust concerning things that are big deals/

June 12, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. watash60

he is a LIBERAL dumocrat – thats all there is to it – so everything is OK

June 12, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

June 12, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Edwardo

Why does the leadership of his own party think he should go when they defended Clinton's much worse behavior? Could it be pure politics?

June 12, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • MWLeatherneck

Clinton lied like a lawyer. Weiner lied like a liar. Am I being redundant??

June 12, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dennis

His supporters must be all the 911 first responders that he championed for against the Republicans

June 12, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. banazi

As a direct decendant of Heinrich Himmler, I say concentrate him. (Weiner) Have you heard his endless whining? "I need help." Help him Bruno.

June 12, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Alfredo

As a New York resident I think Weiner should disappear, he's an embarrassment regardless of his work.

June 12, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. banazi

Let's lock him up in a cell that has a pc all hooked up and ready to go. OK, we'll feed him decent food. (crap) And leave him there for a few years for observation. Make a reality show out of it. (shrug)

June 12, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. banazi

BUSH in 2012!!! Even if he doesn't run, he's got my vote. Go Astros!!!

June 12, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. RON4152

Typical loud mouth New Yorker. He will probably move to Boca.
    No wonder the country is going to hell. This man is supposed to represent us.

June 12, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |