New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. The Doctor

NY old Motto I Love NY
    NY New Motto Get Your Wiener Out

June 12, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. lefty avenger

Anthony Weiner is my representative here in Queens. He did two good things in office, he pumped sand from the ocean back onto the beach to save the coastline and our homes and he pushed for universal health care against the exploitative evil Hmos. His late night naked in front of his mac mini camera is strange........but he didn't touch anything like Arnold had a love child. Give him a break, he's weird but not an evil fascist republican.

June 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Mass

If he had flashed himself in a subway to your teenage daughters would you have felt differently? This is exactly what he did....just electronically. No judgement, Narcissistic, and Obtuse!

June 12, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. alberto

Elected officials should be held to a higher standard than the general population. Demonstrations of poor judgment in personal behavior are evidence of poor judment, professionaly. One often follows the other. I agree he should seek psychological counseling and someone other then he should represent his district.

June 12, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Mass

Abolutely! This is what I have been saying. He is paid by taxpayers and he has completely disrespected the privalege given him by the voters in his district. If he won't go, get rid of his district.

June 12, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. Arran Webb

Get Weiner out of our minds, our faces, our lives. Seeing these new pictures of Giffords made me realize that Weiner is a juvenile and is OUT OUT OUT! Take his pension away as well. Take his health care and his free office and car.

June 12, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Amavet2

As an upstate New Yorker, I wish the whole 5 Burroughs area of down State would break off our State and sink off the Atlantic Ridge!!! They are the toilet of our State! Their political leaders and the people in that area are nothing but a big pile of human waste!!

June 12, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Arran Webb

Can the Yankees and the Giants stay on the mainland?

June 12, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • marie

And you are the tapeworm crawling on the soil of upstate NY looking to infect with your poisonous ignorance. New York City is glamorous and its filled with beautiful people.

June 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. yxxy

Seriously, these polls are either rigged, or it tells a lot about who New Yorkers are. They have no morals. They have no standards. They are defiant and in defense of their own, even though they are wrong. This is what liberalism is, defending yourself when you are wrong. There must be a better man in New York to take his place. Shame on you. Shame on all New Yorkers who think he should not step down.

June 12, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • jb1963

Are you serious? What about Newt? Is he moral? What about Stanford? Is he moral? Weiner sent pictures the others left cancer stricken wives or use tax payer money to have affairs. If these people didn't want to receive the pictures they could just take Wiener off there followed list and block him out. We have serious problems to solve and we need serious people to solve them. Moral and religious issues are not going to get us out of it. Nothing Weiner did affects what he was doing in office.

June 12, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Independent Non Sheep

Edwards left his cancer stricken wife too.. If you are a paid damage control partisan troll I hope you rot forever in the fiery afterlife. There is an angry 40% independent voting block that is tired of being sandwiched between the helmet wearing, drooling right and left wing serpents. You should go door to door and apologize to all your neighbors and family for being a narrow minded, moronic and deceitful buffoon.. You and your kind is the reason drugs are on our streets, children are hurt, and progress is slow in this country. 🙂 Have a nice day Forrest...

June 12, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joe in Colorado

"I support you no matter what" - and there, folks, is the problem. People who vote with party lines, people who pick a candidate for whatever reason and stick with them to the bitter end.

June 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Workings Of An Idle Mind

So how much does a New York Weiner Weigh Anyway?

June 12, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. Arran Webb

The supporters of Weiner have to have more to account for his predicament than: everybody does it, it is not our business, he is not a criminal. Irrelevant. He has revealed a less than desirable side to his character that wants lie to save his professional image. He does not have the fundamental moral code that honesty works. GET HIM OUT.

June 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. i2i

17-years-old??? If there's one teenaged fangirl he's been in contact with, then there's more.

Hey Weiner! You lascivious filth - you know how the feds spell "underage"? P-R-I-S-O-N

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Burn!

June 12, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. anonymous

Why does Dale Kaplan look like a grandmother in the picture? are these the type of people who voted him in? haha

June 12, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Independent Non Sheep

@anonymous: I swear that's a chick in that pic, but Dale is pretty much a guys name. Lol... It's Pat!

June 12, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. bubbahu?

i'm glad i'm not an ..... ..... weiner . that's truly what i never want to be ........ come on all , let's sing along .....

June 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. Penny

If his district wants to keep him, it is their choice. If they don't think they deserve better than that, I am not going to lose any sleep over it. However, by standing up to back this guy, they are telling the world what the democrat party stands for. It is one thing for a flawed human being to screw up – no matter the party. It happens. I didn't think this was any reflection on democrats until his district decided this was no big deal. I may have to rethink what being a democrat is and what they believe in.

Truthfully, I am surprised. I'm not surprised that he lacks enough honor and shame to step down and not bring further disgrace upon his party and his district. He clearly lacks maturity and decency. But I am suprised that his district is so caught up in supporting him that they don't care that the rest of the world will assume they are just as pathetic. They are acting like wronged wives who stand beside their man at the podium while the husband swears he has learned his lesson and he is oh so sorry. The rest of the world just cringes on their behalf.

June 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. plantseeds

Anyone willing to overlook Weiners actions once the story broke is clueless and deserves the state of our current political arena.

June 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Independent Non Sheep

@plantseeds: I'm used to the fact that people cheat and treat intimacy like a game, essentially taking something beautiful and dunging all over it. What bugs me is the fact that these guys from both parties go on tv and lie to save face, and their careers.. Just tell people to mind their own business, at least that's honest. The country is in danger of falling apart because of political corruption and dishonest men are corrupt.

June 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. George

Who cares. Republicnas own all of the news media. Their producers decide what is news. Repbulicans also own or run major businesses. They are the ones who are creators of jobs. Why aren't they?

June 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |