New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. allen hardester

what weiner did is a sign of someone who is very bored with the world. he should not do such actions on company time. the only reason he probably will not resign is that is little demand for perverts even in NYC. how such a dork got such a nice wife shows that there is hope for us all.

June 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewYorker1

No Allen, there still no hope for you!

June 12, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Vox Rationis

Yeah, its too bad because he was a decent politician, but he still has to go. We have to hold these people to high standards. I personally don't care about the pictures, but hubris was his downfall. Its why he sent the photos, its why he didn't think he would get caught, and its why he lied and tried to cover it up. And because he thinks he's above it all, we need get him out of there. Seriously, if he can't own up to a few dirty pics, what else is he hiding?

June 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

He's hiding about the same things you are... get over it... he is staying and he damn well should!

June 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hughie

I don't expect many people to grasp the seriousness of Congressman Weiner's actions. We live in a time when access to each other is just a mouse click away; with geography rendered irrelevant, allowing intimate and anonymous co-mingling between two people to enjoy and wallow in each other’s fantasies. Having this privacy breached is the LAST thing on the minds of those engaged in this naughty behavior. Rep. Weiner had no expectations of getting caught engaging in these dalliances. But he did.
    His behavior provided snickers and laughs across the nation...and the world...but this behavior is NO laughing matter. A sitting congressman or ANY elected official becomes a security risk by engaging in such behavior. Foreign agents of all strips study the weaknesses of our politicians. Hell, didn't Weiner ever watch The Godfather Part II? This elected official is broadcasting his package all over the world without a thought given to the possibility of a foreign agent monitoring his Twitter feed or an agent being tipped off to his shenanigans and, consequently, having it being used to blackmail him.
    This episode speaks to Weiner’s lack of moral character, in that, he has proven...has DEMONSTRATED...that he is a security risk to the country and is NOT to be trusted to hold an office where he has access to state's secrets. So, folks, don't judge this man based on your notion of this being on the level of nothing more than an embarrassing social faux pa; something to snicker over as though it was some celeb being publicly trashed for the same thing on TMZ.

Run him out of DC on a rail. He deserves nothing less.

June 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Careful, Hughie – your valid points here may offend and psychologically wound our politically correct "progressive" friends, and we would never want that to happen!

June 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Red Neck Liberal

Hey Bob, calling me a "progressive," in an attempt to demean progressive politics is cheap, and apart from insulting progressives, is vastly unfair to the much abused quotation mark. As a bleeding heart hawk and big government libertarian, I happen to believe that Weiner should resign for the reasons mentioned in this post, and because adult men have no business texting seveteen year-old girls. How terrifying for you! We "agree."

June 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

In the dictionary, next to the word PARANOID is a picture of... Hughie!

June 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • NewYorker1

When David Vitter leaves Washington, then and only then should Weiner go. Hypocrite.

June 12, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. J

VoxRationis,

There's a difference between answering questions about your vote on the federal budget, and questions about pictures of your own penis.

June 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

I wholeheartedly agree. But, despite that, the unforgiving and judgmental nature of society will still force him out. Too bad for us.

June 11, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vox Rationis

@J No, sorry, there is no difference, and particularly not when you're a US Congressman and you answer those questions on TV in front of the general public. If he had owned up to it, this would all be behind us. But he didn't so now he's on the way out.

June 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

For the most part, okerry, you're spot on.
    However, I don't think he should resign.
    If the voters want him out, it will be done at election time.
    The voters seem to love him, foibles and all.

Yes, I think what he has done is stupid.
    Yes, I feel sorry for his wife.

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. But *actions* speak louder than words, and although it's distasteful to me, he didn't pork anybody.

June 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

banasy, Okay, you're right; he didn't break any laws. But you say that what he did was stupid; still, you don't want him to resign. I can only conclude then, that you want a stupid person representing you in congress. If you have that little respect and concern for the issues affecting your congressional district as well as your neighbors, then maybe you should do everyone a favor and recuse yourself from voting. You obviously don't understand the responsibility that such a privelige entails.

June 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J

I'm also tired of this crap about "moral character." The guy hasn't broken any laws, and hasn't hurt ONE person besides his wife, and even she doesn't want him to resign.

Besides, show me someone who hasn't done anything wrong in their life, and I'll show you someone I DON'T want in public office.

June 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

J: you miss the point. This isn't about perfection, which no one is qualified to claim. Aside from the creep show antics, this man flat out LIED to the American people, to his wife, to everyone. I suppose in your opinion that has nothing to do with leadership and trust? Or are those two traits irrelevant when it comes to representing and speaking for "the people"? Spare me, J.

June 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

Okey, I get it!

All lairs in Congress need to resign, immediately!

Now we will have a national election on June 13, 2011 to elect 435 people to Congress...

June 11, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dreamer96

I'll say one thing for him, he has a strong wife, and growing up with his last name had to be lots of fun at school, and he is jewish, right?, which could have been tough in some places in Brooklyn and Queens,, if that is where he is from. I think what he did was stupid, and I've throw my own hypocrite stones, having done stupid things too. but now I see a tree with deep roots, and is getting beat up and is still standing. DC is a snake pit where everyone wears many masks, I am sure the raw FBI files on these DC guys are not squeaky clean. Let his district decide his fate.

June 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Keith:
    I don't understand what you mean by my having a double standard.
    I don't think inside a box.
    I am a centrist Republican.
    I support Obama for another term.
    There was a time when both Democrats and Republicans were much closer to the center than they are now.
    I think you meant something else, though, and it wasn't clear.
    I have always been attracted to (old) Republican values of personal responsibility and independence of governmental influence.
    I don't think that my having independent views on issues gives me a "double standard."

June 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Big Game James

A man starts the day wondering how he can get his johnson wet. Figuratively and literally. Some of us just use better judgement than others. He should resign because it has become a distraction and I'm sure he did not get much real work done these past two weeks. And his wife is gorgeous!! She could get it!! Oops...see what I mean.

June 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Regarding Weiner and his wife, I posted days ago that this mess-up will cost the guy a diamond of at least ten carats if he wants to keep that marriage going. It's OK: he can get her a nice "spread" SI 1, around H color, and patch it up.

June 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. richard

What a load of crap....the man sent pictures of his penis...New Yorkers think it didn't hurt anyone?? It's the same thing as exposing yourself on the street except he did it via the internet...

June 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dmh

This is all a scam. There's no way he's that dumb. He never did much as a Congressman, except rant on cable. He'll get a tv gig and Huma will run for office. The only way her boss was able to get elected was because of pity.

June 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • SonnyD

No doubt he will be beatified by his loving masses and end up a hero with his own opinion show as was the case with Elliott Spitzer. Had he been a conservative, he would have been crucified, torched, carpet bombed and skinned alive by the appalled politically correct Left from day one. The double standard continues ...

June 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jake

Sure, I trust Weiner's judgment about what is "explicit and indecent"... what reason would I have not to?

Of course, I believe him when he says nothing "inappropriate took place"... what reason would I have to suspect he might not be telling the truth?

June 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James

We have stop throwing stones in glass houses, obsessing about the specs in our brothers eye when we have planks in our own!

June 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Americans prove it again they are a third world nation!

A nation of racists and liars. That's why NY'ers love him, the selfish Jew lobby doesnt' bother with little things like ethics.

June 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |