New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ res hev32:
    Thanks for getting my back.
    @ keith et al:
    The position I took on Republicans' AND Democrats' affairs was always that it was their private business.

June 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffrey Roseman

Yes, but when they lie about it publicly then it becomes the public's business.

June 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

I think Chris Hanson from NBC's To Catch A Predator was about to stop by Weiner's office.

Here's a pic of him, ha ha:

June 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ernest

There is a difference in lying to protect one's privacy (and/or family) and lying to cover up a crime or act of corruption. Bill Clinton survived it and so will Weiner if he sticks it out.

June 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ernest

I agree whole-heartily! There is a difference in lying to protect one's privacy (and/or family) and lying to cover up a crime or act of corruption. Bill Clinton survived Monica it and so will Weiner!

June 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rudi

Time travel, Dimension travel, the secret of love,E=mc2 is actually E=mc3, the type of black holes...and a great love story with flavor ....all at TheDimensionMachine dot com

June 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank ( R-Ohio )

Anthony Weiner – Why do you waste my time with this.
    SOLUTION: "Grab the Weiner, AND SPIN HIM AROUND 'TILL HE PUKES"

June 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

Why do Republicans always post such low brow responses, IN ALL CAPS?

Just asking.

June 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jean

I think it is his own business. Who cares about his weiner. more times needs to be spent on unemployment and the war.

June 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

Man for the most part doesn't bother with ethics , but should when knowing God does.

June 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad S.

That makes no sense.

June 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • hundredthhummingbird

I changed my mind. You make no sense at all. what was I thinking ?

June 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

Yeah, RIGHT!

Ever since man created GOD this planet has radically gone to the dogs...

June 11, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

Jean your post is so meaningless. No brain into it. You waste my time.

June 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. America

seriously. What he did wans't even that bad, MILLIONS of americans do it all the time, and hey, they're the people who represent us so it kinda makes sense. And the whole, "the moment they lie it becomes a public affair"...really? If we're going to hold our representatives to this standard lets tart holding everyone up to this standard.

June 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1/400,000,000th of everyone in America

@America: I do hold private citizens around me accountable. I don't cheat and don't hang out with them, or date them. I voice my opinion without judging.. The difference is the private citizen isn't on the public payroll, nor are they lying to everyone around them.

June 12, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Enough Already

Enough about Weiner! It's getting "funkier than a mosquito's tweeter"!

June 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hollywood

Weiner movie coming out later this summer – Arnold Horshack from 'Welcome Back, Kottor' playing the staring roll of Weiner himself!

June 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. true justice 1

56 % still do not understand when they let their little Weiner vote for them what results. Pity Party Libs are the problem.

June 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jean2009

David Vitter, Larry Craig, Newt Gingrich, Mark Foley, John McCain, Mark Sanford, Bob Barr, Henry Hyde, Bob Dole, George H. W. Bush, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudy Giuliani, rethugliklan adulterers all....really if you live in a glass house you shouldn't through stones.

June 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. hzzvnh

That anyone would consider voting Weiner in again is pathetic. We have no one but ourselves to blame for our inability as a country to rise to the level of greatness we once had. We continue to accept mediocrity and continue to think parochially by not holding our politicians to higher standards, not demanding the best from them, and not getting rid of them when they show their low moral character is lacking whether through Twittered shots of their privates in their undershorts, their acceptance of lobbyist money, their allocation of funds through an underhanded, non-public means, or through their cheap shots at each other in the media.

June 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Somebody said that Weiner's sending a photo of his p-
    en-
    is (shhh!)
    was like exposing himself on the street.
    It's not.
    He send the shot to an individual, privately.
    She gave it to the public to hurt him.
    He wouldn't have sent the picture if he had not been led to believe that it would get him some action.
    There is plenty of blame to spread all over this piece of toast.

June 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hollywood

She did not send the photo to the media. Weiner screwed up when he hit 'send' and then quickly removed it though it was too late. Though he was baiting these women to see how much he could get away w/ sending them according to the one girl that came forward. There has been 5 so far.

June 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cobra

I think Weiner should stay, he is the perfect face of the democrats in congress and the trash that is in the White House, it can be a constant reminder of what not to vote for.

June 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

Yeah!

And, David Vitter, Larry Craig, Newt Gingrich, Mark Foley, John McCain, Mark Sanford, Bob Barr, Henry Hyde, Bob Dole, George H. W. Bush, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rudy Giuliani are people we SHOULD be holding up to America as role models...

June 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bob

Red Neck Liberal: I'm an Independent Hawk with a strong "small government" bent and an intense commitment to personal responsibility and ownership for our own actions. Indeed, we do agree, and, for that, I am pleased, NOT terrified.

June 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

The only thing INTENSE about you is your STUPIDITY...

June 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. goldha

You gotta wonder about CNN's news judgement. About anytime you turn on CNN all you see is one of their own or some politician doing their best to put it to Weiner, to get him to quit. He was doing what millions do, and, guess what, it's not a crime. And no one at CNN is questioning the women he was tweeting with, not to but with. And all of this about what is really a non-issue - when our country is facing some real problems. When is CNN going to come out here and give some real airtime to the 15 percent of America, give or take, that can't find a job? When is CNN going to come out here and talk to some of the millions and millions who have been foreclosed on, many who are now homeless? When is CNN going to start asking why the feds have prosecuted none of the financial-sector ba#$%&rds that got us here? When is CNN going to get out here and beat some pavement to find out what is really going on in our country? Oh yeah, I guess it probably is just easier to put some "unavoidable for comment" politician in front of the camera than get out here and do some real reporting. I guess that's why, as CNN admits, "CNN Equals Politics." Too bad it doesn't equal news. Anymore I find myself often trying out Faux News in an increasingly futile attempt to get some - news.

June 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

I really have to agree with you... if CNN isn't urging someone or all of us to PRAY, John King has fallen in love with, GOD BLESS YOU, then he pivots to weiner...

Yes, this once great news station has become a shill for GOD and stupd ENTERTAINMENT!

June 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |