New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. Tubby the Tuba Texas

He denied, denied & denied. Lied, lied, and lied! He should have manned-up to it and it would have gone away. Public figures must have a higher principal, and morals when serving the public for all that money he is paid to oversee his people and he failed. Dishonesty is something he seems to be to comfortable with, we don't need that.

June 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

Hey, Texas BUBBA:

"He denied, denied & denied. Lied, lied, and lied! He should have manned-up to it and it would have gone away. Public figures must have a higher principal..."

You do, of course, realize tha a PRINCIPAL is the person in charge of a high school!

GO TEXAS!

June 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

It would be really grown-up for everybody to realize that adultery is no cause for throwing stones at glass houses OR at the people who live in them.
    Adultery happens, just as BMs happen.

June 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vino

Hey Joey...there was no adultry. Just Doofustry.

June 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo An

Adultry yes!! This is not adultry...this guy is sick and needs help...Congress is not REHAB...or shouldn't be...

June 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

And to YOU they are probably identical... you need to find a name with more hyphens...

June 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Barney Frank (D-Mass)

So you are a lying pervert. Big deal. Just tell them that you were born that wayand they'll leave you alone. It works! It really really works buddy!

June 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barney Frank (D-Mass)

Adultery? Oh. I didn't know he did that. You are screwed buddy. Should have got yourself a manboy friend like I said.

June 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barney Frank (D-Mass)

Yes, he lied and should have manned-up rather than lying. If he would have manned-up like I told him, he'd be in the clear. He should find himself a nice young man to settle down with and enjoy an innocent standing in the eyes of most modern Americans.

June 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@Tony:

Your conclusion is wrong. And your arrogance is showing.

He does not represent me.

His district loves him.
    I do not.

I said he should not resign, and that if the voting public he represents want him out, they will vote that way.

Obviously, you do not know anything about me and my position on politics, and that is all right.

Also obvious to me is that you took exception to a word I used, and your mistaken belief that I am somewhat ignorant.

I am not.

I stand behind what I said.

It is not up to *opinions* of what he should do; it's up to his district.

June 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. oror

It really irks me that Republicans always stand by their man – see Vitter, Ensign, Sanford, Craig, etc..... but the Democrats are always ready to throw their members under the bus. Dems need to get a spine and rally around their colleagues. While the aforementioned Reps actually did something illegal, Weiner was just an icky idiot.

June 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • polver

mcgreevy and spitzer both demarcates only acknowledged their actions when they were about to be charged with CRIMES! It's been my observation that republicans generally resign much sooner than do dems. Chris Lee who also did nothing illegal resigned only hours after the scandal broke. Interestingly what he did was very similar to Wiener though not quite as prolific. Did Bill Clinton resign? He spent years lying and when the scandal broke he still didn't resign. Randal and the guy with 100k in his freezer they didn't resign.... Would love to see the stats, but at a glance I think you've got it wrong

June 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • carruth

Your a silly man.....

June 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

you wrong, whenever the pertvert like Wieiner, the guys man enough to resign not even let his leaders tell him get out, not like Clinton, Edward, Spitzer- lie lie lie lie- shame on Democrat

June 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michele Lerable

OK, I think I've heard just about enough already! Weiner is going in for "TWEETMENT" for his inability to use good judgement with his Twitter account. Good grief. Are we that dumb to think this is going to help him?...or is he?

June 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vino

Agrred, but his worst sin? He's an a–hole.

June 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

If all of us who engage in s**ting, seemail & the like were fired for it, there would be 98% unemployment in this country. Weiner speaks for all Americans who are afraid of leaving our future in the hands of the rabidly conservative & WetTea Bags! However, with the new developement of his alledged texting with a teen in Delaware, it's looking bad for our fav weiner! We need this man to speak for the middle class, but if he's praying on our kids, we need him in jail!!

June 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • polver

I'm not too thrilled with the far right, but I'm much more afraid of the far left, the devil you know. We need people who reasonably decide moderate policies are the best route. No offense, but Mr. Wiener and frankly his district are lacking in these qualities. He's radically and illogically left.

June 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • The devil made me do it

Polver, just because Jesus was seated at the right hand of the father doesn't mean he was a republican

June 11, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul Battis

Should he resign? No. He should be fired. As a New Yorker and a voter I am firing you. Mr. Weiner you are fired. Get your things and get out.

June 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vino

Yep, and why doesnt his damned mentor Charles Schumer offer a belch. Hey Charlie???

June 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jewbacca... rarwggrrr

I think he's a nice hebrew boy and should be left alone..

June 11, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nancy

He showed bad judgement in the whole affair. I don't want someone like that making decisions that affect me.

June 11, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

I wonder about the assertion that we should "hold public figures to higher standards," which I read in many posts. The problem with that is, we are setting ourselves up for a fall! These people are mere humans no matter how lofty their positions, & lying to cover 1's butt is human behavior! I can forgive this man All he did, as long as he's Not including underage girls in his "fun & games"!!

June 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gus

Weiner should stay in office. There is no treatment. It is a harmless hobby. Most of you people complaining are doing it on the sly anyway. Let the guy enjoy himself. Life is short. Live your life for yourself, not for someone else.

June 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. carruth

You know your days are numbered when you have 'ol Charlie come to your defense....oh well.....

June 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |