New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. Jazzzzzzzz

Tony Mack your post indicates to me that you are a moron and an idiot. Think Tony,Think.

June 11, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lord Bumsiay

Ok, he's going to get "treatment" so I get it, it's not him, it's some illness that caused him to do sleezy things. Look, we all do all kinds of foolish things in our youth, so for a young person in their teens or twenties this would be sort of understandable – but for a guy this old and at this stage in life, come one give me a break – it shows he doesn't have the character or integrity to be a good public servant. Show him the door...

June 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shirley

LOLOL Looks who's calling who a moron. 🙂 Where are your facts for that kind of talk.

June 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Well, I defended logically my use of the term adul-
    tery above, which was challenged by others in the board discussion of what my position would be on similar issues with other politicians, especially of different parties.
    Rest assured that me discussion of adul-
    tery, which included words like les-
    bian, pen-
    etra-tion, and where, was promptly censored.

June 11, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bertie

He just got caught...if everyone with loose morals resigned not too many people would be working! To those who want him out...I say, let him who has no sin among you....

June 11, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shirey

I agree whole heatedly and wrote Pelosi saying so. Let them get rid of the ones who are stealing our money and taking kick-backs. What he did was not right, but he admitted it and is getting help. That's more than Rangel did, who evaded taxes and thinks he didn't do anything wrong. I am leery of anyone who wants Wiener out. What have they got in their past on pay-offs.

June 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Tony Mack:
    I hear you, but not accepting lying as the norm for politics is like not accepting grass as the norm for a lawn.

June 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jewbacca... rarwggrrr (I) Rhode Island

@Joey: Respectfully... Thank you for setting the bar for the rest of us. I have to tell you that I'm in college and working a crummy thankless job, but I have more scrutiny over my life than any of these elite politicians. I will give you that his personal life is his business, but these &$$ clowns should just tell the media it isn't their business instead of going on national tv to lie yet again to the american people. We complain about corruption, and politicians selling us out then people like you tell us to shut up and put our blinders on. Really if a guy is going to cheat on his wife breaking a vow to her and God, then they lie yet again on national TV to everyone else, then can we really expect them to execute their duties without corruption? At least be a man and say its nobody's business. I'd respect that more. Please don't put your standard of living or moral requirements as something we should just "accept". Thanks

June 11, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Very well said, JIF.

June 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cnntwiststruth

awww, the 17 year old was only a year away from being his aid. Now some of his fun is wrecked.

June 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joel

Sad to see such idiots supporting and grovelling at the feet of this pervert creep. Guess it tells what a real Dumbocrap supporter is. stupid, stupid, stupid and even worse stupider if there is such a word...No wonder Obumbler carried this area. They are all morons....in residence here...........................

June 11, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • will

so then you must really, really dislike newt gingrich.

June 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Baby Cakes

He is a PERVERT. He is going to rehab to save his job, nothing more. He figures the fools in his district will support him like his mentor Charlie Rangel and re elect him. Sad thing is, he will probably be re elected.

June 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred Schmild.

Yep, that's it. You've got him completely figured out. Those dam librals just won't stop their lying and cheating. Kills his own people. Tax and spend.

June 12, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. erich2112x

What are they going to for him in treatment? Put him on a 12 step program, give him a chip? Treatment centers are just a place to hide so folks don't have to live in the wake of their inappropriate behavior. When you can no longer face the world, you go to treatment till everything cools off. I just bought a boat and my wife wants to kill me. Can i go to treatment?

June 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. annaB

what the author neglects to mention is that the 17 year old and her family say there were no inappropriate messages from weiner. Let's stand up to the lily livered dems on this one and support the most important progressive voice in the House ... please show your support at:

June 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fred

Any message from him to a 17 yr. old would be out of line. Be that 17 year old girl, boy, or beast.

June 11, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. justin

Who cares! if its not criminal its none of anyone's business! Americans need to keep mind their P's and Q's!

June 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jewbacca... rarwggrrr (I) Rhode Island

@Justin: Agreed, but these politicians need to not come out and speak to the press. You miss the point or are deliberately trying to play devil's advocate. These guys need to stop lying on national tv to everyone. It shows they care more about their careers than the truth. That's dangerous when they control the largest military and economy..

June 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fred

Newt Gingrich. Just look at him. All slack-jawed talking out of the side of his neck. What a slime-ball. But there are a lot of slime-balls these days, and a lot of them vote. What can ya do?

June 11, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Fred Schmild.

I have a list of 57 communists at the State Dept.

June 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fred Schmild.

Seriously, I don't think either Weiner or Qadhafi should step down or resign. Both are making creditible efforts to defend their ethical standards. Not so certain about Bush or O'Bama. They've just killed too many people.

June 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |