New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. BMaryland

Only bipartisan topic there seems to be in politics......the inability for many of them, on both sides, to keep it in their pants. Ticks me off that he did something so stupid.

June 12, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

It makes me BEYOND angry that they, ANY party official, seems unable to keep it in his pants!
      Am I weird? Unusual? Bizarre?
      I'm only a mere 50 years old and managed to keep it in MY pants for 30 years!
      But then, I've known for my entire life, HONOR. I HONOR my word of HONOR.
      I've known sacrifice all too well, to the point of losing really good friends in defense of this once great land. I only retired from the military last year. But, I left a nation united and free, I returned to a nation doing its utmost to become fascist. The worst states I've tabulated, New York and California.
      And the usual "rebel states" of the deep south...
      While I DO consider a great amount of this between him and his wife, his word of honor is at stake. A word that HE willingly violated. HOW can I trust him NOW.
      If he had admitted, taken responsibility and move on, I'd be willing to accept his word.
      But, denial, lies and a sudden "therapy" after massive force was politically applied?
      I can't accept that word. Any more than I'd accept an Al Qaeda members word to not attack us again.

June 12, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael in Boston

He was elected as a politician, not the priesthood. He didn't do anything other than flirt with girls online, it today's terms where cameras are everywhere...it was used to "enhance" these flirting sessions. Seriously, I'm sure many peoples private conversations whether they be intimate or arguments, are not necessarily made for the General PR consumption, it's a one on one conversation, of which many folks here have not context to what's really going on. A good example of this is Alec Baldwin's audio rant at his ex-wife and daughter years ago...doesn't mean anything.

June 12, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. descarado

Wow! The zombie perverts have taken over New York. Why was i surprised.

June 12, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • slapdog

yeah...they just got done w/ your mom and still weren't fulfilled. tool.

June 12, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Slapdog, descardo managed to do your own mother and his own and fulfilled both.
      Does that make him his own father?

June 12, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • RealTime

Did you really expect anything different from that cesspool? New Yak is the laughingstock of America afterall.

June 12, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael in Boston

@slapdog and Wzrd1 – do you see how judge other peoples private choices in one statement, then turn around and make a completely obscene statement in another comment? Be glad you don't run for political office, your statements could turn on you and then you would be the ones listening to JA's just like yourself...making elitist judgment statements. How about we just all except we are human and flawed, chalk this up as a learning experience and move on.

June 12, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • slapdog

@mike: you see, idiotic posts like those of descardo and realtime don't really deserve anything other than a "your mother" b/c honestly, to make such broad, sweeping statements shows they're none too bright to begin with. plus, who am i to let their little prejudiced hearts down?

also, i don't see how calling descardo's mom a zombie wh*re makes me elitist. at the very least can i call her a moron for raising such a short-sighted, narrow-minded, person?

as far as realtime is concerned..."new yak"? what are you five? turn off the xbox, get out of your parents' basement and see the world. "laughingstock", yes...NYC is a laughingstock w/ world class museums and restaurants that millions come to visit annually. maybe there are fewer people laughing than you think.

(i'm sorry realtime/descardo, what super-awesome place do you live in?)

i'm betting neither descardo or realtime have ever ventured off their little piece of the planet since they can judge a city of 8 million from the actions of one politician or my trite reply.

seriously, i might have been inclined to take the noble path with my comment by perhaps offering evidence as to what makes NYC a world class city, but why? it probably took descardo and realtime at least a minute to form their biased comment. "your mother" was really about all of a retort that was truly necessary.

now if descardo/realtime would like to "enlighten" me as to their thought process, well then game on...

June 15, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bruce

I read where Wieners wife wants some one on one therapy with Wild Bill Clinton. She needs to seek the great advice from Ron Jeremy.

June 12, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

Not sure about that. The pictures show that Weiner has some very impressive credentials. Lots more than Briebart and his microscopic credentials that would make a gerbil beg for more.

June 12, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • RealTime

You may be envious of that tiny little 2 inch pencil, but real men are not.

June 12, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael in Boston

Complex much?

June 12, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Amavet2

In other words you're jealous that Weiner didn't send his pictures to you!!!

June 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • CSG

I'm impressed that you know the size of Briebarts "credentials". You must have "inside" information.

June 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Jewbacca...RI:
    Thank you for the respectful stating of your good point. BTW, you wouldn't believe some of the thankless jobs I did in college.
    It would be nice if politicians in the USA could be as honest and open as the same ones could in Europe. Socially, as I see it, we are much less evolved than Europeans.
    I think that my moral standards are closer to yours than you think.
    Selfishly, in the mode of Ayn Rand, I believe that married couples benefit enormously from absolute fidelity in increased attraction and intensity of love.
    I don't accept infidelity for myself, but that's a selfish choice, not, for me, a Biblical one. I respect whatever your view of any religious teaching is.
    My conservative fiscal views are based on my vision of morality: what is, in the long run, the most advantageous to the majority of society.
    That does not exclude charity, but it excludes most Robin Hood work.
    I do not "accept" immorality, really. I am pragmatic and realistic.
    My moral code, I know, is different from the code of many humans.
    My code, at this time in my life, no longer comes from the Bible, but my moral code often duplicates the Bible's teachings, as well as many teachings of the Koran.

June 12, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. slb

You know, I can take a picture of my nethers and send it to somebody....and that doesn't make me bad at my job.

June 12, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Really? You're not bad at your job for sending uninvited pictures of your shrimp?!
      If THAT is the best argument that you can offer, you have proved yourself to be unable to EVER reproduce in this land.
      First, the pictures were an invitation to infidelity. A breach of a solemn oath of fidelity. THEN, the idiot denied a human failing. The acceptance of the failing and admitting it would have been acceptable.
      No, idiot INSISTED that his house wasn't on fire until his clothing burned on his body! In the form of multiple photographs sent to the media.
      Now, here is a hint. I'm not wealthy. I only made a million in the past 7 years. But, there are NO pictures on the PLANET of my member, my physique or my face, that could be presented as evidence, by ANY of the 7.5 BILLION humans on this planet, to show that I abandoned my word to my wife of 30 years.
      But, apparently word of honor or even the WORD honor is foreign to this fallen, newly third world, nation.

June 12, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Arran Webb

Don't lie about it.

June 12, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • jb1963

This WZRD1 character is a real idiot. Must live in the mid west or is in a bunker in Afghanistan

June 12, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. OscarMayer

Huma pregnant? Woo Hoo! Congratulations, Bill! Note to Huma: Do not clean the dress.

June 12, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Bleh, Bill couldn't get it up any better than you could, these days.
      Limpy.
      But then, you know ME. I'm known as PANTSY, for my habit of keeping it in my pants.

June 12, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mel

He is a shame to everyone around him. We want people with good judgement leading the country, not these weirdos who can't concentrate on their job.

June 12, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • jb1963

And what part of his job was he not doing? Before this scandal no one had issues with him. Other than the right wing terrorist group paid for by big business and Fox news.

June 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. corrina

Too bad he got caught. let him seek help and move. on if it isn't him today, it will be another congressman, senator, governor or some other public official tomorrow. They all do it. the one who will not or has not done it is not born yet.

June 12, 2011 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Yes! NEVER seek better!
      NEVER seek a word of honor.
      Honor is dead in the Fascist States of America.
      Long my the enemies of the state burn in the state ovens, whoever they ARE this week.
      I'd call you what I think of you, but this is a family friendly board. So, I'll merely suggest that you accept cash for the performance of favors not permitted to be performed in a public place.

June 12, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Arran Webb

We have to keep the bar high. Yes more will fail. They will be asked to resign as well. Weiner lied because he felt beyond accountability. Get him out now.

June 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. clr

No wonder NY is going under.

June 12, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • RealTime

That cesspool went under a long time ago.

June 12, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wzrd1

New York, a Tory state from the beginning, a Tory state unto the end. No honor. No word of honor. Indeed, one of the last states to join the union.
    As they're obviously a scofflaw state, by their utter rejection of every amendment in existence, expel them from the union and cede them back to England, where they WANT to be, under Queen and Country.
    The wh0r3s are of no use to THIS civilized nation!

June 12, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
    • TSmith

STFU and stop your ranting....He's a Human being!!...Jeesh...he did not commit a crime! Repubs just hate him because he got up in the House and told one of the Republicans to SIT DOWN! Go Anthony Weiner!! For Mayor of New York!!!

June 12, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • TYpical Dem

Who cares what anyone else did? This is about an arrogant, lying, vulgar Democrat with a weiner predator fetish - he is a predator and has no place in Congress. He has demonstrated his propensity to orchestrate cover ups and lies –this is a Democratic hallmark - Deceive – misdirect – lie – and blame something or someone else. If weiner does stay in office, I hope this takes a big bite out of the Dems reelection efforts, and because The Weiner is an Obama protege and blames others and lies like Obama, this could cost Obama a second term --so for the GOP, they would love to see a continuing Weiner-gate all summer long. Now let have the ethics panel hold lengthy Weiner hearings so we can all read the vulgar emails and see all the vulgar pics, and see how aggressively Weiner tried to orchestrate a massive coverup -- and then we can see how MSNBC was a proud player in the weiner coverup, or how liberal media, at OBAMA'S COMMAND, jumped in to help with the propaganda to protect Weiner -- Who will write the first book – "The Weiner Conspricay? or maybe The Dog Days of Summer" Or perhaps – "The 2012 Presidential Election -Whose weiner is Bigger" Or, "Does Size Matter in Congress- A Weiner's Perspective"

June 12, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • finch

@TYpical Dem
      shut up dufus –

June 12, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • hw

Not sure whether Weiner behavior has anything to do with being a Democrat, Republican, Independent. What he did was not a political issue. What he did was an immature, depraved and power hungry behavior. It should not be tolerated by anyone. He is an elected official who should be above reproach, no matter how good he is, he violated the people's trust. If the same behavior was ellicit by Joe Six pack, who cares. But a member of Congress, no. All those who are caught in lies, perversiveness, etc. have no business representing the people of the United States, period!

June 12, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Penny

I agree that anyone from any party might have done this. It was a personal failiing. What is shocking is that his district is standing up for this pervert. I honestly don't see a republican or Independent district standing up for a guy like this. And that is to their credit. The ones in his district ought to be ashamed of themselves. They are giving their entire party a black eye far beyond what Weiner did. He is just a flawed human being. They come across as seriously deranged and amoral.

June 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Dee G.

Thank-you!

June 12, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Arran Webb

The dude took an oath not to lie to the people. He lied. He is out. Lets get over him fast.

June 12, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Smiles70

What political figure has not lied! We would not have anyone in any office if that was the case!

June 13, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • plantseeds

Actually it's the lying and covering up and farbricatrion of stories that he was hacked and then accusing a reporter of printing lies about HIM that is the problem. How is it that we are supposed to trust him with anything after that. Let alone the childish and unporofessional behavior.

June 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • CharlieEcho

Jeffery Dahlmer was "human" to a fault, was he not?

June 13, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • HD

New York City was our nation's first capital – guess it was good enough for the Founding Fathers! So, what's your opinion of the states that Craig and Vitter represent? You remember those honorable members of Congress, or do you suffer from selective memory?

June 12, 2011 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
    • truthfulster

Yea but they quit or maybe you don't remember!

June 12, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Satan

June 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satan

Duhhhh.... Philadelphia was the first Capital HD.... See you in 18 years when that endocrine cancer claims you.. Arharhar.. The unicorn dies tonight.

June 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Prince Of Lightness

Duhhhh.... Philadelphia was the first Capital HD....

June 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Did that governor from S.C. get to keep his job? You know after he admitted to cheating on his wife and disappearing into South America.

June 12, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • jb1963

Spoken like a true terrorist (republican)

June 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Larry

Wow....that too many people weighing in on one Weiner! what a lucky man!

June 12, 2011 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I've never considered one lucky, when so many weigh in on one, with so many edged weapons!

June 12, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
    • RealTime

He's lucky to have people laughing at that teeny weeny? You must be drunk again.

June 12, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. rojojojo

He should resign! I can't believe he still has so much suppport. He lied to your faces! Instead of focusing on his job he was busy showing what little common sense he has! Politicians should be held to a higher standard of conduct! Weiner is a disgrace, an embarrassment, a liar, a cheater, immature, and unfit for the privilege of being in office!

June 12, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

MY objection is, he lied to his wife AND the state in his marriage oath. He denied a human failing, which would be forgivable. He INSISTED on following that lie, like a two year old, until it was utterly in flames.
      THEN, he admits he screwed up.
      Now, either your political leader has honor and some small, even microscopic semblance of truth or you do the entire NATION a disservice when you send them to Washington, D. C.
      If you're going to do a disservice, I necessarily wonder what good your state is to the union and if we should cede it back to the UK.
      Because, women OR men of the evening on street corners are NOT of value in leading this fallen nation.
      On second thought, I respect those ladies and men MORE, THEY are honest about who and what they do for a living.
      Had the idiot admitted to screwing up, I'd forgive. NOT admitting it and forcing it to be DISCOVERED deserves the harshest of punishments.
      But then, my OWN career was saved more than a few times of, "I screwed up, Sir!"

June 12, 2011 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • jb1963

You just described the entire Republican party. Where is your outrage towards them? Newt left two wives that he promised to love in sickness and in health. Others were molesting young boys in the congress. You are a hypocrite just like wzrd1.

June 12, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. zoundsman

Too weird. I love ordinary people with quirky failings, but elected leaders have to have much less, when it comes to
    integrity. Half of the job is to make good decisions, the other half is to inspire. When in the limelight, people lose faith
    when someone does something so stupid ...and weird.

When elected to office, please leave your kinkiness, neurosis, etc. behind, and be a better, stronger person than ever-thanks.

June 12, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Travis

He hasn't dine anything wrong in regards to politicians.

June 12, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |